• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Eye In The Sky Traffic Report

Le Sabre

Question

Newsfirst along with Sirasa FM launched a unique programme today to report from a helicopter on the traffic situation on the entry roads to the City during the rush hours in the morning.

The Newsfirst team took off from the Ratmalana airport on board a R-44 helicopter at 7.20am and kept a live commentary on the traffic situation of all entry roads to Colombo.

From today, the Newsfirst team will keep a live update on the traffic to Colombo during the rush hour in the morning during week days.

The commentary will also be aired on Shakthi FM, Yes FM and Y-FM.

Check out the link as well.

http://www.newsfirst.lk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15457:newsfirst-begins-airing-live-news-on-traffic-during-morning-rush-hour&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

Source : newsfirst.lk

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Off a Aviation forum, dated 14th dec 2010

If you follow the US fuel price index on AVWEB, it appears to retail at around $4.77/US Gallon. By my simple maths, 1 US Gallon = 3.78 Litres, so 1 Litre would cost $1.26.

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67542

So basically, it costs around Rs.150 a litre (Not sure about local tax)

A single engine chopper would burn around 50Gal/hour... so its about 200 litres an hour... times that with the fuel price will get you a rough fuel cost.... not adding wear and tear, sundry costs, and pilot fees.

But I am no expert on this... ;)

But IMHO, MiniAce would clear up all of this.

Edited by VVTi

Not being personal mate.... just not tolerant of anyone who undermines the country's efforts to crawl out of the pit it was in all this time. If things are not 'up to standards' in SL, either you do something to change it or stop complaining about it like a little whiner.

Well if directed towards me, I do find this statement a little offensive due to the fact that I have done more for this country than most here probably ever have. I love this land just more than anyone else but that does not mean I love this country. Infact I hate almost every country in the world.

No about the country's efforts to crawl out of this pit, yeah the efforts have worked. The cost of basic necessities are at an all-time high. Oh but the shopping mall to be built on reclaimed land will end the hunger....

Either way, you are entitled to your opinions, as am I. I'll stop here with the political stuff.

Hope we have no hard feelings? I still love you.

It was on Yes. And from what they said, I do believe the pilot on this first flight was MiniAce :lol: I gather he was a bad boy and either scared the reporter or made him airsick or summin like that :lol:

What did he do?

Well if directed towards me, I do find this statement a little offensive due to the fact that I have done more for this country than most here probably ever have. I love this land just more than anyone else but that does not mean I love this country. Infact I hate almost every country in the world.

:music-smiley-019::music-smiley-010::music-smiley-009::music-smiley-012:

Edited by VVTi

due to the fact that I have done more for this country than most here probably ever have. I love this land just more than anyone else but that does not mean I love this country. Infact I hate almost every country in the world.

Since you mention it, just curious what you have done for the country? As for the last 2 lines...i dunno, ppl shouldn't post when their drunk I guess :alc:

Since you mention it, just curious what you have done for the country? As for the last 2 lines...i dunno, ppl shouldn't post when their drunk I guess :alc:

Perhaps plans for the garage should be scrapped... a cafe that serves 'rooms and a certain kind of cake would be better... :)

Then we too can "love this land just more than anyone else but that does not mean I love this country. Infact I hate almost every country in the world."

:alc:

I'm pretty sure that helicopters are quite safe these days and that our crews do a good job at maintaining them, so the chances of an accident is probably the same as any other place is the world (and probably less as we don't have as much air traffic or sky scrapers).

But I'm curious if a helicopter is the only method of providing live traffic updates and whether a number of strategically placed reporters could accomplish the same, perhaps a little better as the helicopter can only be over a certain area at a time.

Perhaps plans for the garage should be scrapped... a cafe that serves 'rooms and a certain kind of cake would be better... :)

Then we too can "love this land just more than anyone else but that does not mean I love this country. Infact I hate almost every country in the world."

:alc:

Drop it. Now.

i think very soon we'll come to hear that a heli has crashed on to some one's roof or a garden.... Well .. im serious.. Also u know .. theres a government personal who cant stand this channel...i wonder what he would say about this. ;)

Edited by p.defender

i think very soon we'll come to hear that a heli has crashed on to some one's roof or a garden.... Well .. im serious.. Also u know .. theres a government personal who cant stand this channel...i wonder what he would say about this. ;)

machang you do know that the pilot of this traffic copter is a fellow AL member MiniAce

Its good to pay attention to the steps forward of the country. But most of all we has to consider weather we could cope with these new things. Yet we are still recovering from the war and many elections... We had 3 elections last year. Imagine how much money is spent on these. Where is this money come from? Its all tax money.

I wish if the government can expand the CCTV System and get the traffic updated through that channel instead of sending a Bird up in the sky to gather traffic Info.

This is a method UK update the traffic info.

Edited by p.defender

If any of our beloved dyslexic members really read the news, they would realize that the Eye In the Sky is an initiative run by a PRIVATE venture run using PRIVATE choppers using PRIVATE pilots.

Crocodile tears about tax, burden to the common man, worries about chopper falling from the sky, etc etc is just nonsense.

..PRIVATE Money....

Guess they print their own notes then...

Show OFF

Next step will be ‘’ We are the first to do this’’ That’s what, u will hear in very near future. ;)

Hope every body know who own this group of companies…Mxxxx Traffic.

Any way ….at last…wish our Country Good future

Edited by p.defender

''PRIVATE venture run using PRIVATE choppers using PRIVATE pilots. ''

Where is this Part mate ...PRIVATE Money....

Guess they print their own notes then...

Show OFF

Next step will be We are the first to do this Thats what, u will hear in very near future. ;)

Putting aside everything else and all the arguments I've had with certain people in this thread(VVTI I hope you got my PM)............I think that's a pretty down right retarded statement you just made........

Edited by jdnet

Putting aside everything else and all the arguments I've had with certain people in this thread(VVTI I hope you got my PM)............I think that's a pretty down right retarded statement you just made........

Got the PM dude... :) Will reply.

You're right... the statement above is very retarded... even by AL standards.