• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rpm Meter

mensoft

Question

Guys ,

Is there any way to fix a RPM meter to a car witch has no rpm meter came with original design ? it a first generation Lancer ;) )

if can what need to buy or a place where i can get it done and the cost nearly ?

99fhgo.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by mensoft

20 answers to this question

Guys ,

Is there any way to fix a RPM meter to a car witch has no rpm meter came with original design ? it a first generation Lancer ;) )

if can what need to buy or a place where i can get it done and the cost nearly ?

99fhgo.jpg

Thanks.

Does Anybody Don't know about this ?

Guys ,

99fhgo.jpg

Thanks.

Yeah you can get a tachometer from ebay or try mot*r cade or darley road places.

:alc:

Guys ,

99fhgo.jpg

Thanks.

Hi Mensoft

Costs depending on the rpm meter you are going to buy usually it sits between 4000-5000 LKR,

this is not good rpm meter might be Chinese probably.and also you need to run wiring loom from your

ignition coil to the dash board , depends on the bass's costs,

thanks

regards

sumith

guys do you know a place where i can find a aftermarket RPM meter in Kandy?

i know a place maybe have aftermarket rpm meter but it's in matale any ways if you want contact number pm me. :)

I tot of installing a 3 gauge panel on to ma dash board. Tachometer is a defa one. What are the other useful gauges that I can install? Not necessarily performance based. Ammeter, voltmeter etc. and what does these gauges indicate?

engine oil level gauge and engine oil temperature gauge.

I tot of installing a 3 gauge panel on to ma dash board. Tachometer is a defa one. What are the other useful gauges that I can install? Not necessarily performance based. Ammeter, voltmeter etc. and what does these gauges indicate?

machang if you have been driving for so long without knowing the voltage of the battery or the oil pressure, don't you think you can do without knowing them in the future too?

Its not as cool as some people make sound. It may have been 10 years ago when no-one had it, but now every tom dick and harry does. I recently saw a in the Al classified with what looked like a RPM meter for the front passenger. <<facepalm>>

• Like 1

machang if you have been driving for so long without knowing the voltage of the battery or the oil pressure, don't you think you can do without knowing them in the future too?

Its not as cool as some people make sound. It may have been 10 years ago when no-one had it, but now every tom dick and harry does. I recently saw a in the Al classified with what looked like a RPM meter for the front passenger. <<facepalm>>

i think he just want to add some color to the dashboard...

Guys ,

99fhgo.jpg

Thanks.

yes you can.....go to pala auto electrical they have it...i saw them fixing one for a mini as welll.....however i am not sure if it has got a backlit feature for night driving.. i am also planning to fix one for my one...

that should look cool for the lancer box....i have seen some with combined meters...all in row...preety nice in the night...

'fatjoe',

I think you are new to the meters you have mentioned.

Ampere meter will indicate the discharge and charging rate of your DC electrical system. Discharge means when you switch on any unit the indicator of the meter will show the discharge ampere rate of the unit what you have switched on.

Charging rate means when the engine is running alternator should compensate the discharge of the units working at that time including A/C ,Wipers, H lights, Audio setup and whatever the accessories which are working at the time engine is running.There should not be a discharge indicated on the ampere meter when you do your normal driving.

Ampere meters are not fitted into cars now days due to heavy discharge from above said units. If you want to fix a ampere meter you will have to use special thick gauge wire which is expensive.

Volt meter will indicate your battery voltage. This meter will give a low reading less than battery voltage (DC12Volts)when you operate the starter motor to start the engine.Gradually the meter will increase to about DC 14.5 volts when the car is running.

If the volt meter shows more than above said reading then you will have battery water evaporating and that can lead into battery failure as well as your alternator. When the voltage reads high ampere meter too will read high.

The above said meters are not necessary due to high quality of your auto electrical equipment manufactured today. If you like you can fix them as additional meters to monitor your electrical system performance of your vehicle thereby you will be able to detect a fault immediately according the reading of the meters which will help you to get a electrician to handle the matter to do necessary repairs in time.

I personally advise you if you want only to fix a DC volt meter only.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'fatjoe',

Ampere meter will indicate the discharge and charging rate of your DC electrical system. Discharge means when you switch on any unit the indicator of the meter will show the discharge ampere rate of the unit what you have switched on.

Charging rate means when the engine is running alternator should compensate the discharge of the units working at that time including A/C ,Wipers, H lights, Audio setup and whatever the accessories which are working at the time engine is running.There should not be a discharge indicated on the ampere meter when you do your normal driving.

Ampere meters are not fitted into cars now days due to heavy discharge from above said units. If you want to fix a ampere meter you will have to use special thick gauge wire which is expensive.

Volt meter will indicate your battery voltage. This meter will give a low reading less than battery voltage (DC12Volts)when you operate the starter motor to start the engine.Gradually the meter will increase to about DC 14.5 volts when the car is running.

If the volt meter shows more than above said reading then you will have battery water evaporating and that can lead into battery failure as well as your alternator. When the voltage reads high ampere meter too will read high.

The above said meters are not necessary due to high quality of your auto electrical equipment manufactured today. If you like you can fix them as additional meters to monitor your electrical system performance of your vehicle thereby you will be able to detect a fault immediately according the reading of the meters which will help you to get a electrician to handle the matter to do necessary repairs in time.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

sylvi which is more better ....i mean there are volt meters when in ebay which do not require special power and just the terminals to be added. but i thought the ampere meter is better...i have seen this in old morris minor...

i am planning to fix a volt meter....but then if the battery is fully charged it should show only 12V ....right

sylvi which is more better ....i mean there are volt meters when in ebay which do not require special power and just the terminals to be added. but i thought the ampere meter is better...i have seen this in old morris minor...

i am planning to fix a volt meter....but then if the battery is fully charged it should show only 12V ....right

'rameez'

Morris Minor discharge was nothing more than 15 amperes the HT Col takes 2amps lights were not more than 10 amps wiper is about 3 amps. They did not have A/C.Today cars have A/C and high discharge equipment.(MM)They had Dynamos after 1960 alternators were fitted to all automobiles Alternator is capable of handling above the Dynamo can generate. Alternators are build to handle high amperage.As I have told in my post you have to have a high amperage meter with thick wire to handle the new automobile demand.

Volt meter you can have any small auto cable because they only read the voltage and can be connected directly so that full time the meter will be reading which battery will not effect or else can connect through your Ign switch when it is on only meter will read.

When the engine is running the battery voltage will be more than 12 volts. Potential difference of the battery is volts Capacity is amperes. Fully charged battery some times will give reading of 12.5 volts or more.

My recommendation is to have only volt meter this will give a reading for you to know the battery is over charging the reading will be more than 14.5 volts. Under charging with all your equipment on if meter reads below 12 volts.

You have to connect the ampere meter correctly with correct wire if not the wires will get heated.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hey Nexus, it seems you travel Matale frequently, I saw in some other thread you are mentioning about Matale. :) Just wrote this as it is my Home town :D

the place i buy car accessories is locate in matale and one of my friend live there so i traveal there when needed but not frequently. :)

Hehehe. Agree with you

Something to think about. Even ma idea wsto add some color to the vehicle.

i think he just want to add some color to the dashboard...

Spot on

that should look cool for the lancer box....i have seen some with combined meters...all in row...preety nice in the night...

Yeah. I ws thinking add some look good decorations. Byt should not look like a THROMBAL KARATHTHE. Hehehe.

'fatjoe',

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi,

Thanks for the very informative post. Appreciated.