• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cctv Used To Catch Errant Drivers

Le Sabre

Question

Over 300 errant drivers have been captured by the Close Circuit Television (CCTV) camera security network activated in Colombo on Wednesday, the CCTV department said.

According to the department most drivers were seen to have violated road rules including instances of passenger buses idling at bus stands in the City, obstructing traffic, jumping the red light, changing lanes in violation of the rules and driving on the pavement.

The CCTV department said that 150 errant drivers were captured on the cameras today alone and action will be taken against all these drivers in accordance with the law while images capured using the CCTV cameras will be used as evidence.

Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa inaugurated the Close Circuit Television (CCTV) camera security network in Colombo on Wednesday.

Over 100 CCTV cameras have been installed at 28 locations in Colombo as part of the initial stage and the cameras have been connected to monitors being watched by the police.

The police will maintain vigilance through 105 CCTV cameras to combat crime and to carry out surveillance and to collect information.

23 answers to this question

Over 300 errant drivers have been captured by the Close Circuit Television (CCTV) camera security network activated in Colombo on Wednesday, the CCTV department said.

According to the department most drivers were seen to have violated road rules including instances of passenger buses idling at bus stands in the City, obstructing traffic, jumping the red light, changing lanes in violation of the rules and driving on the pavement.

The CCTV department said that 150 errant drivers were captured on the cameras today alone and action will be taken against all these drivers in accordance with the law while images capured using the CCTV cameras will be used as evidence.

Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa inaugurated the Close Circuit Television (CCTV) camera security network in Colombo on Wednesday.

Over 100 CCTV cameras have been installed at 28 locations in Colombo as part of the initial stage and the cameras have been connected to monitors being watched by the police.

The police will maintain vigilance through 105 CCTV cameras to combat crime and to carry out surveillance and to collect information.

Finally, those idiotic tuk tuk drivers and bus drivers will learn how to drive properly after they get a couple of tickets :angry-smiley-048::action-smiley-060:

Edited by The Stig

Hmmm .. interesting. Hope they do the whole thing above board and give due publicity to the penalty process.

Should bring some discipline about 'if' properly done - even among those of us - who give in to indiscretion once in a while due to frustration!! :angry-smiley-048:

Hmmm .. interesting. Hope they do the whole thing above board and give due publicity to the penalty process.

Should bring some discipline about 'if' properly done - even among those of us - who give in to indiscretion once in a while due to frustration!! :angry-smiley-048:

Happens more often that not, unfortunately... :)

It's good that this system is finally setup in Sri Lanka. But i'm a bit concerned about the way it is setup here. They may be able to identify the vehicle from CCTV camera's but can they identify the driver correctly? So, whom are they gonna penalize? is it the driver or the owner of the vehicle? How will they send the ticket? I think in foreign countries, the owner of the vehicle gets the ticket posted with the pictures of him violating the law. But in those countries normally the registered user is the actual driver of the vehicle.

But here in SL, there would be situations where people driving vehicles on open papers where the registered owner of the vehicle is some other bloke. In such a situation if they identify a guy violating a rule, who will receive the ticket? is it the previous owner? Does anyone know about how this is done?

It's good that this system is finally setup in Sri Lanka. But i'm a bit concerned about the way it is setup here. They may be able to identify the vehicle from CCTV camera's but can they identify the driver correctly? So, whom are they gonna penalize? is it the driver or the owner of the vehicle? How will they send the ticket? I think in foreign countries, the owner of the vehicle gets the ticket posted with the pictures of him violating the law. But in those countries normally the registered user is the actual driver of the vehicle.

But here in SL, there would be situations where people driving vehicles on open papers where the registered owner of the vehicle is some other bloke. In such a situation if they identify a guy violating a rule, who will receive the ticket? is it the previous owner? Does anyone know about how this is done?

well, you're not supposed to sell a car on open papers (there is actually no legal provision for it, it's just an incomplete transfer that is called "open papers"). even before cctv if the vehicle was involved in a crime (robbery, hit and run, etc) it is the registered owner that was liable.

open papers or not, many people use chauffeurs. and sometimes there are instances where many drive one vehicle at different times. How about company vehicles and rent a car companies? who will be penalized?

open papers or not, many people use chauffeurs. and sometimes there are instances where many drive one vehicle at different times. How about company vehicles and rent a car companies? who will be penalized?

I am sure these problems are not unique to SL. I believe any other country that uses this system, the owner gets penalized (for ex. if you don't fill your transfer papers properly, similar to this "open papers" business in the USA, you are liable for any offenses committed by the new owner - it's a way of making sure the seller follows through with all the selling rules). The proof is in the footage, if they can't bring up the footage then the case is thrown out. Not sure about the issue with personal drivers, as I guess we have a much higher number of them than most countries. However, there's no reason for a chauffer to be above the law, so I guess it's up to the owner to make sure the driver follows the rules. I am sure most busses are not owned by the folk who drive them, but the owner will get penalized (and will in turn penalize his crew). Of course, this is ALL assuming that this even comes in to place, or whether it's just a bunch of loud noise that will never be followed through. I'll believe it when I see it - there are a lot more than the 108 camera points in the city where people break road rules.

any time you drive a car, you do so with the permission (implicit, if not explicit) of the owner.

if you get copped, it's practical for the cops to fine/prosecute the driver, but if they couldn't stop the car (e.g. hit and run) then they would prosecute the registered owner. I guess it would be up to the registered owner to get the driver at the time of the offence to pay the fine / go to courts / etc.

There are more than one CCTV cameras at each junction and they face different directions.

So i guess they might be able to get the number of the vehicle as well as the driver.

Hats off to whoever made it happen :appl::appl::appl:

I hope these cameras can survive the bus maniacs

Thats right hope the vehicles will keep clear of the cameras.

But on the other side even if any type of vehicles take out the camera posts the images would have already beamed back to the control room and recorded and stored and the driver will be in trouble.

That might make bad drivers think twice.

got an email stating where the cameras are fixed at the moment.

‎1-Parana Parliamenthuva Handhiya - Kotuva (Ols Parliament)

2-Ceramic Handhiya - Kotuva

3-Dhumriya Sthaanaya - Kotuva

4-Bus Nevathum Pala - Madhyama, Pita Kotuva (Central Bud Stand)

5-Technical Handhiya -Sangaraaja Maavatha

6-Maradaaana Paalama

7-Ibbanvala Handhiya - Darley Road

8-Lipton Vataravuma

9-Galla Muvadhora Handhiya (Galle Face Junction)

10-Liberty Plaza Handhiya

11-Mal Paara (Flower Road)-Agamethi Kaaryaalaya paara (Prime Minister's Office)

12-Kollupitiya Handhiya

13-Thunmulla Handhiya

14-Bambalapitiya handhiya

15--Kirulapona Handhiya

16-Paamankada Handhiya

17-Vellavaththa Handhiya

18-Naaraahenpita Handhiya

19-Maha Kanaththa Handhiya (General Cemetry Junction)

20-Borella Handhiya

21-Aayurvedha Handhiya - Raajagiriya

22Kandhasaami handhiya

23-Mattakuliya Handhiya

24-Kelaniya Paalama - Colamba - Nuvara Paara

25-Peliyagoda Paalama - Colamba - Meegamuva Paara

post-39576-061142900 1294377426_thumb.jp

got an email stating where the cameras are fixed at the moment.

‎1-Parana Parliamenthuva Handhiya - Kotuva (Ols Parliament)

2-Ceramic Handhiya - Kotuva

3-Dhumriya Sthaanaya - Kotuva

4-Bus Nevathum Pala - Madhyama, Pita Kotuva (Central Bud Stand)

5-Technical Handhiya -Sangaraaja Maavatha

6-Maradaaana Paalama

7-Ibbanvala Handhiya - Darley Road

8-Lipton Vataravuma

9-Galla Muvadhora Handhiya (Galle Face Junction)

10-Liberty Plaza Handhiya

11-Mal Paara (Flower Road)-Agamethi Kaaryaalaya paara (Prime Minister's Office)

12-Kollupitiya Handhiya

13-Thunmulla Handhiya

14-Bambalapitiya handhiya

15--Kirulapona Handhiya

16-Paamankada Handhiya

17-Vellavaththa Handhiya

18-Naaraahenpita Handhiya

19-Maha Kanaththa Handhiya (General Cemetry Junction)

20-Borella Handhiya

21-Aayurvedha Handhiya - Raajagiriya

22Kandhasaami handhiya

23-Mattakuliya Handhiya

24-Kelaniya Paalama - Colamba - Nuvara Paara

25-Peliyagoda Paalama - Colamba - Meegamuva Paara

Theres also 3 in auruveda junction near that optics place B)

So what's the latest on this? Has there been any improvement to the traffic after fixing these? I don't think so. Also are they sending traffic fines to the house now after using this?

oh contraire, i have actually noticed that 3wheel drivers and bus drivers tend to behave a little bit better near intersections and traffic lights now.

After all they are a close community, if one guy gets caught the news spreads like hot cake.Must have created a phobia in them but in a good way i guess, cause i had a little chat with a trishaw driver and he seemed to be aware of the traffic cam situation.

Edited by The Stig