• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How-To Paint Your Muffler (Silencer)

jdnet

Ok Guys,

Did this a few weeks back but was too lazy to post it. Anyway the process is pretty straight foward and the job should not take more than a half hour depending on how much rust you have on your muffler.

Here's what you need.

1.High heat paint I the TOA one costs Rs. 650 and is rated to 700 C IIRC) Do not use regular paint as it will burn and flake off.

2. Sand paper (arounnd 600 grit wet/dry should work depending on how bad the rust is. I used 800 because it's all I had)

3. Paint thinner.

4. Respirator or a mask sufficient to block most paint fumes.

5. Masking tape and old newspaper

Here's the process.

1. Make sure the exhaust is cool. Use soap and water to wash off any mud or dirt on the muffler.

2. wipe is down with paint thinner.

3. Using the sand paper sand down the muffler until you have removed most of the rust. (I was a bit lazy and didn't care about the rust too much so I didn't spend as much time as I should have on this step.

4. Once sanded down clean the muffler again using paint thinner while making sure all traces of oil have been removed.

1-1.jpg

5. Mask the area above the muffler and the tail pipe (including the area where is goes under the bumper using paper and masking tape.

2-2.jpg

6. spray an even coat on the muffler and tail pipe and let it dry for a couple of minutes. Then start your car up and rev the engine to about 3000 RPM for a couple of more mins. Let is cool back down.

33.jpg

7. Apply the second coat and repeat the 6th step. You can put another coat is you wish or this can be your lasth. If it's your last then repeat step 6 followed by letting the car idle for about 5-10 mins. This should cure the paint sufficiently.

That's it. Now you are not going to be able to paint the top part of the muffler and tail pipe but you should be able to get atleast 75% done using this method. I painted mine using flat black but you can paint it whatever color you wish. (or even do a camo job) as long as the paint is high heat.

Note: depending on how low your car sits you may have to jack it up to do a good job.

ALWAYS WEAR A MASK WHEN SPRAY PAINTING!!!

Edited by jdnet

Ok Guys,

Did this a few weeks back but was too lazy to post it. Anyweay the process is pretty straight foward and the job should not take more than a half hour depending on how much rust you have on your muffler.

Here's what you need.

1.High heat paint I the TOA one costs Rs. 650 and is rated to 700 C IIRC) Do not use regular paint as it will burn and flake off.

2. Sand paper (arounnd 600 grit wet/dry should work depending on how bad the rust is. I used 800 because it's all I had)

3. Paint thinner.

4. Respirator or a mask sufficient to block most paint fumes.

5. Masking tape and old newspaper

Here's the process.

1. Make sure the exhaust is cool. Use soap and water to wash off any mud or dirt on the muffler.

2. wipe is down with paint thinner.

3. Using the sand paper sand down the muffler until you have removed most of the rust. (I was a bit lazy and didn't care about the rust too much so I didn't spend as much time as I should have on this step.

4. Once sanded down clean the muffler again using paint thinner while making sure all traces of oil have been removed.

5. Mask the area above the muffler and the tail pipe (including the area where is goes under the bumper using paper and masking tape.

6. spray an even coat on the muffler and tail pipe and let it dry for a couple of minutes. Then start your car up and rev the engine to about 3000 RPM for a couple of more mins. Let is cool back down.

7. Apply the second coat and repeat the 6th step. You can put another coat is you wish or this can be your lasth. If it's your last then repeat step 6 followed by letting the car idle for about 5-10 mins. This should cure the paint sufficiently.

That's it. Now you are not going to be able to paint the top part of the muffler and tail pipe but you should be able to get atleast 75% done using this method. I painted mine using flat black but you can paint it whatever color you wish. (or even do a camo job) as long as the paint is high heat.

Note: depending on how low your car sits you may have to jack it up to do a good job.

ALWAYS WEAR A MASK WHEN SPRAY PAINTING!!!

Where did you get the TOA hitemp for 650. I baught the same for 1500 about a year ago. Please tell me the location as I need to get one more can.

Edited by kumudug