• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

To Buy Or Not To Buy

jdnet

Ok Guys,

I went compressor shopping today. After looking at a few places I've narrowed my list down and was wondering what you think. I have to choose between two compressors. Both are 100L and basically same specs and they are chinese. Basically I'll be running my impact wrench, air ratchet and die grinder on it. I think the main difference is the price.

One is 45,000 with a 1 yewar warranty

The other is 35,000 with no warranty

Both have spares and both shops will repair them.

So basically I'm at odds on what to choose. Is paying the extra 10,000 for a warranty worth it even though it's for just one year? or should I just save the 10,000 and buy the cheaper one. I think the quality of both the machines is basically the same (low level chinese stuff).

hmmm I can't really recommend any of the Chinese ones.I went through two Chinese compressors called PUMA(bought from BMC) in one year.Both times one of the pistons stopped working and it took ages to fill the tank.I now have a 90L Metabo and it's still going strong after three years of use.

As for your quarry.I'd go with the cheaper one If you can't see any differance on build quality.These so called guarentees don't amount to nothing usually and almost all the time you generally fix it at home if you have some basic mechanical knowledge.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your metabo compressor and what's a rough price for it at present?

BTW does the 90 work well for die grinders or would I find myself constantly waiting for it to catch up?

It was from Hunters.55k three years ago.My folks bought it for me as a b'day present when they saw me struggling with chinese ones.

Dunno about grinders as I only use for it for some amateur auto painting.

oh yeah....the one I looked at is 3HP. What's yours?

3.5hp I think.

Ahhh I forgot about hunters. I should have a look over there before going any further. From what i've been reading up tonight, it seems that I should be looking less at the horsepower and more at the CFM rating. Basically I would be looking at something in the range of 6-10 CFM to cover everything including sanding.

Go for Ingersoll Rand mate ,thats the best out there .Its even better than Snap on stuff(when it comes to air tools)

It will cost you a bit more but its worth it.

There is a IR dealer in SL near kohuwala (120 road)

Regarding compressors

I have worked with various sizes of compressors, in my experience bigger the better.

Problems with small compressors are

1.sometimes you will have to wait till it builds up pressure.

2.Not enough balls to rip off tough nuts/bolts like crank pulley bolts

We bought a Chinese one about a 2 years ago, mostly been using for some DIY paint-jobs and cleaning the engine bay etc etc.

I dont quite remember the capacity, but its about 3 feet long. Dad said it cost 7k.

He also recommended that if you're not in a hurry to wait a bit as every now and again shipment of Chinese stocks come in and the prices go down.

Also I saw a 2nd hand Hitachi 3 phase compressor for sale around the piliyandala area on the rodeside. If you're ok with 2nd hand i can get you the number the next time i drive past it.

But IMO Chinese is pretty decent, and worst case the motor or the pump packs up the repair would still not make the whole thing too expensive. My dad's becoming a Chinese-addict and recently bought a bench-drill too. Both have been very helpful with some construction work that we're doing at home.

Go for Ingersoll Rand mate ,thats the best out there .Its even better than Snap on stuff(when it comes to air tools)

It will cost you a bit more but its worth it.

There is a IR dealer in SL near kohuwala (120 road)

Regarding compressors

I have worked with various sizes of compressors, in my experience bigger the better.

Problems with small compressors are

1.sometimes you will have to wait till it builds up pressure.

2.Not enough balls to rip off tough nuts/bolts like crank pulley bolts

Lol I'd be happy to get IR pneumatic tools if you are paying for it.

On another note I already bought all the air tools I need. Craftsman professional series. HAve used them before and they do hold up well. The price isn't all that bad either.

We bought a Chinese one about a 2 years ago, mostly been using for some DIY paint-jobs and cleaning the engine bay etc etc.

I dont quite remember the capacity, but its about 3 feet long. Dad said it cost 7k.

He also recommended that if you're not in a hurry to wait a bit as every now and again shipment of Chinese stocks come in and the prices go down.

Also I saw a 2nd hand Hitachi 3 phase compressor for sale around the piliyandala area on the rodeside. If you're ok with 2nd hand i can get you the number the next time i drive past it.

But IMO Chinese is pretty decent, and worst case the motor or the pump packs up the repair would still not make the whole thing too expensive. My dad's becoming a Chinese-addict and recently bought a bench-drill too. Both have been very helpful with some construction work that we're doing at home.

Well I was thinking of buying a new one since it's for my house and I want it to be nice and shiny, even though it's going to stay in the store room with only the hose comming outside. lol. Anyway I'm going to look at hunters today and make a decision on what to buy. Will let you guys know what I come up with.

Well I went down to hunters today and the 100L one they had is 57,000. Seems to be of better quality. I'm actually thinking of waiting till I can find an upright model somewhere. After looking at the space constraints in my store room it seems like I will be better off finding an upright model instead of the traditional type. May have to keep looking around or import one though.

• 1 year later...