• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Poor Fuel Consumption In Mazda Familia Bj5P

tom

Hi Experts!

I recently bought a Mazda Familia BJ5P (2001 Model) Auto car. Millage 110k.

I have few worries. The Fuel Consumption is very poor - 6.7 Km / Ltre (Colombo) even with 95 Octain Extra Premium Petrol. I did the ATF oil/filter change, Engine oil & filter change, Engine tuneup, trottle body/ spark plug cleaning. But NO improvement in Performance.

Can you please help me on this. As far as I know BJ5P cars does about 9-10 km/ltr.

Any Ideas / Views ...?

Regards

Sigh... been discussed before, do a search.

But if there's nothing mechanical wrong, it might be your driving style.

That's the second time I said that today... <_<

:) Thanks

Yeah.. read them as well ;)

Btw, Driving style - can try to improve further. but will it lead to a siginifcant impact on fuel performance( i mean from 6.7 km/lt to 9 km/Ltr?

Can you recommend a good place to get sensors checked?

Btw, Driving style - can try to improve further. but will it lead to a siginifcant impact on fuel performance( i mean from 6.7 km/lt to 9 km/Ltr?

Yes!...It can improve even more if your current habbits are really bad.and remember that driving slow does not mean you are driving economically.

• Thanks 1

:) Thanks

Yeah.. read them as well ;)

Can you recommend a good place to get sensors checked?

How harder you try, that car will not give you anything over 9kmpl in city limits machan. If it does around 8-9Kmpl that's the optimum you can expect according to my knowledge. But 6-7kmpl is bit on the low side.

My BJ5P (YOM = 1999) gives me 8-9 Kmpl on average within colombo city limits.

Since you have done most of the things that can be done to improve the efficiency, few other things to check would be

* Check whether you have any brake binding problems.

* Check whether you have any worn out tappets/values in the engine. You can check this by closely listening to the engine. if you hear any ticking sounds most probably a tappet may be worn out. adjusting or replacing tappets can improve fuel efficiency.

Basically, You must be able to hear the Zoom-Zoom sound in your mazda engine to ensure that it's running smoothly and efficiently :)

Possible. If all else fails, make sure there are no females who leave the engine running to power the a/c while the car is parked. I really hate it when that happens.

Hi Experts!

I have few worries. The Fuel Consumption is very poor - 6.7 Km / Ltre (Colombo) even with 95 Octain Extra Premium Petrol. I did the ATF oil/filter change, Engine oil & filter change, Engine tuneup, trottle body/ spark plug cleaning. But NO improvement in Performance.

Can you please help me on this. As far as I know BJ5P cars does about 9-10 km/ltr.

Any Ideas / Views ...?

Regards

You have not mentioned the Air Filter change, MAF Cleaning etc ,which are also attributed to Fuel

consumption. The Cleaning of Spark plugs itself does not provide the answer, if those are faulty.

Mazda does not specifically ask 95 Octane fuel in BJs for their ZL engines. In some engines,95 octane

fuel lead to poor consumption.

How harder you try, that car will not give you anything over 9kmpl in city limits machan. If it does around 8-9Kmpl that's the optimum you can expect according to my knowledge. But 6-7kmpl is bit on the low side.

Since you have done most of the things that can be done to improve the efficiency, few other things to check would be

* Check whether you have any worn out tappets/values in the engine. You can check this by closely listening to the engine. if you hear any ticking sounds most probably a tappet may be worn out. adjusting or replacing tappets can improve fuel efficiency.

Basically, You must be able to hear the Zoom-Zoom sound in your mazda engine to ensure that it's running smoothly and efficiently :)

by the way what is the spec of your familia? how much did you pay for it?

Dear Bro,

Better you do a long run on a flat route(Like anuradapura/polonnaru) and have a idea of fuel consumption then you could have a better clue than running in town. City limits traffic congestion is varies you can't have any reasonable idea. As an example I daily come to work in the early morning from malabe to colombo and never face any traffic blocks but gear changes rapidly due to color lights , inter sections and some other factors. my car is 1.8cc and does 9.2km/Lt(i am bit hard on the paddle). When i went to kurunegala recently it has done only 10km/Lt, There is no signifigant change.

by the way what is the spec of your familia? how much did you pay for it?

It's a GS Special Edition with VVT,All disc brakes,Sports suspension and a few more

bells and whistles. :) Bought it for 14.6 lakhs a year ago.

Thank you all for the Valuable Advice. Some speicific reponses are given below ..

Yes!...It can improve even more if your current habbits are really bad.and remember that driving slow does not mean you are driving economically.

My earlier car was Manual. Thus im a bit new to Auto. Yes - I have change my driving style ( soft on paddle ) little bit last three days and as per visible change in Fuel indicator results seems good.

Thanks. I will check on this..

Possible. If all else fails, make sure there are no females who leave the engine running to power the a/c while the car is parked. I really hate it when that happens.

Good one ;)

You have not mentioned the Air Filter change, MAF Cleaning etc ,which are also attributed to Fuel

consumption. The Cleaning of Spark plugs itself does not provide the answer, if those are faulty.

Mazda does not specifically ask 95 Octane fuel in BJs for their ZL engines. In some engines,95 octane

fuel lead to poor consumption.

Air Filter changed. Need to clean MAF

95 pertrol - Oh good point. next time I will check pumping 90 Octaine (xtra premium)

Dear Bro,

Better you do a long run on a flat route(Like anuradapura/polonnaru) and have a idea of fuel consumption then you could have a better clue than running in town. City limits traffic congestion is varies you can't have any reasonable idea. As an example I daily come to work in the early morning from malabe to colombo and never face any traffic blocks but gear changes rapidly due to color lights , inter sections and some other factors. my car is 1.8cc and does 9.2km/Lt(i am bit hard on the paddle). When i went to kurunegala recently it has done only 10km/Lt, There is no signifigant change.

Thanks and agree with you. Planning to have a falt road run somewhere next month.

btw, wish you all a meery Xmas and a Happy New year :alc:

It's a GS Special Edition with VVT,All disc brakes,Sports suspension and a few more

bells and whistles. :) Bought it for 14.6 lakhs a year ago.

then I guess you're getting the maximum out of it...

Mines got the VVTi engine and it's a manual, I get an average of 8 km/l max in Colombo, cos my exhaust is a straight thru.

Take you car to Mazna Motors, they'll know what to check for. just for the record, make sure the plugs that are fitted are the specified type, and check your O2 sensor.. these were few issues I had on mine when my car was giving 6km/l

Good luck, and do let us know the results..

then I guess you're getting the maximum out of it...

Take you car to Mazna Motors, they'll know what to check for.

Do you think their prices are reasonable? I got few repares done and it costs me a lot . For example just for the ATF change , the total cost was

ATF Oil ( 4l) - LKR 3,100

ATF Filter - LKR 5,800

ATF change labour - LKR 2,500

TOtal of Rs.11,400 just for ATF change? Anyone has an idea of these prices ?

( and they found a lot faults which i couldnt verify with my limited knowledge).

Do you think their prices are reasonable? I got few repares done and it costs me a lot . For example just for the ATF change , the total cost was

ATF Filter - LKR 5,800

( and they found a lot faults which i couldnt verify with my limited knowledge).

the larger cos there is the filter...mazda genuine parts are comparatively more expensive.

but since the oil change duration is like 40k or something isn't it... so that cost is no biggie imho

ATF Filter - LKR 5,800

Your engine is the ZL-VE and has the triptronic transmission.. the ATF on the is more costlier than the normal auto. Those prices are correct.

Why don't you call up Carmart and ask them how much an ATF change will cost for a triptronic.. that way you can get first hand info on the cost comparison..

• 3 months later...

Hi Experts!

Any Ideas / Views ...?

Regards

Hi Everyone,

Just to give you un update...

As most of you advised, by simply changing the driving style I managed to increase the fuel efficiency to 8.5 km/L in Colombo City Limitsusing 90 Octain Xra premium fuel . Last week I replaced the plugs , now it seems even better . :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc:

Hi Everyone,

Just to give you un update...

As most of you advised, by simply changing the driving style I managed to increase the fuel efficiency to 8.5 km/L in Colombo City Limitsusing 90 Octain Xra premium fuel . Last week I replaced the plugs , now it seems even better . :alc: :alc: :alc: :alc:

Good..try to increase it more man..here are some tips.. http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/personal/driving/autosmart-tips.cfm?attr=8 :rolleyes:

Edited by AbeysinghE

• 4 years later...

Good! Might be this post is for your self satisfaction. BTW post is older more than 4 yrs.

I have a BJ5P too. 1999 special edition. Tz doing around 9

- 9.5 kmpl on traffic. I'm easy on pedal.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Guys i have a alto 800...i'm planing to upgrade  my car..i need to know which car is the best among  viva elite and mazda familia bj5p...My budget  is about 20lkh.So if there is another good car please tell me about it..please  give me some comments  ASAP....

Edited by Gllardo

2 hours ago, Gllardo said:

Guys i have a alto...i'm planing to upgrade  my car..i need to know which car is the best among  viva elite and mazda familia...My budget  is about 20lkh.So if there is another good car please tell me about it..please  give me some comments  ASAP....

These 2 cars are like the sun and the moon, not even in the same category. What do you expect from the car ? economy, comfort, driving pleasure ? you need to let us know you requirement.

I'm not an expert.Basically  I took these two cars because  both two cars are same price.I took viva elite because it's little  bit of new car and i took mazda familia bj5p because it's bit of old car.I want to know familia  bj5p actual fuel consumption and spare parts. i'm highly consider about spare parts because i am in kandy and how will be the maintenance  cost.i also like viva elite because it's a full option car and it's good with fuel.Is there any issue  with viva elite rear suspensions when rear seat is full with passengers.? Any way if there are some other good cars that i can buy for this price please tell me.

Edited by Gllardo

10 hours ago, Gllardo said:

I'm not an expert.Basically  I took these two cars because  both two cars are same price.I took viva elite because it's little  bit of new car and i took mazda familia bj5p because it's bit of old car.I want to know familia  bj5p actual fuel consumption and spare parts. i'm highly consider about spare parts because i am in kandy and how will be the maintenance  cost.i also like viva elite because it's a full option car and it's good with fuel.Is there any issue  with viva elite rear suspensions when rear seat is full with passengers.? Any way if there are some other good cars that i can buy for this price please tell me.

There are lot of things discussed regarding the Mazda Familia BJ5P.

Mazda:

(1) Mazda Familia Bj5P 2003

(2) MAZDA BJ5P AWD

(3) Mazda Bj5p Service

Viva:

Viva rear suspension

But, IMO what you ask is not a matter of concern since its a small car. It has decent ground clearance.

Edited by gNaveendra