• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Replacing 60/55W Bulb With 100/90W H4 Bulbs

mjayanath

Question

My car is MARUTI 19-

I have replaced my old headlamps (100/90w)recently as the reflectors were corroded.

The new lamps(used-Japanese-they called reconditioned)came with 60/55w original bulbs.

Now I have doubt in replacing 60/55w bulbs with 100/90w bulbs because I heard excessive heat of 100/90w bulbs would damage the reflectors.

Your comments please....... :rolleyes:

9 answers to this question

My car is MARUTI 19-

I have replaced my old headlamps (100/90w)recently as the reflectors were corroded.

The new lamps(used-Japanese-they called reconditioned)came with 60/55w original bulbs.

Now I have doubt in replacing 60/55w bulbs with 100/90w bulbs because I heard excessive heat of 100/90w bulbs would damage the reflectors.

60/55W emits lower heat compare to 100/90W, isn't it? So if you replaced your 100/90W with 60/55W you are getting lower heat compare to the original lights you had.

I think the OP's problem is that he wants to use his old 100W bulbs on his new 60W headlight (reflectors and housing), but is unsure if the extra heat from the 100Ws would damage the reflectors which were meant to hold 60Ws.

In my opinion, i think 60W bulbs should be good enough to illuminate the road.. but if you really want to try 100Ws then why dont you try find a set of original reflectors...

I'm curious though, what are these japanese headlights that fit a maruti?

My car is MARUTI 19-

'mjayanath,

You can change to high wattage bulbs but there is a high current draw from high wattage bulbs.

Bulbs heat very rarely damage the reflectors as they are metal.

Head lamp two bulbs 60/55 will draw about 8 to 10 Amperes 100/90 will draw 15 to 17 Amperes.

Some times you have to change the fuses of head lights to higher Amperes.

Check your Head light relay Amperage early you had high wattage bulbs do not worry.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'mjayanath,

You can change to high wattage bulbs but there is a high current draw from high wattage bulbs.

Head lamp two bulbs 60/55 will draw about 8 to 10 Amperes 100/90 will draw 15 to 17 Amperes.

Check your Head light relay Amperage early you had high wattage bulbs do not worry.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

No need to change fuses or relays as his original bulbs are 100/90W.

No need to change fuses or relays as his original bulbs are 100/90W.

Isuru Udana,

I only wrote possibility of changing high wattage bulbs and what you need to check.

I have had above mentioned problems when I changed high wattage bulbs without checking. Fuses used to blow off.

I had a 25 Amps relay on the Head lamp circuit.So the relay was OK for high wattage bulbs.Fuse changed to 20 Amps.

Please note I had not omitted to write that he had high wattage bulbs on his system and he can use same wattage bulbs.

In my post I mentioned (early you had high wattage bulbs do not worry.)

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

My car is MARUTI 19-

'mjayanath,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Head light reflectors are not made out of metal, especially in a maruti.they are made out of plastic and have a chromium or some other form of reflective coating on them, and this paint fades away when exposed to higher wattage than recommended.

the best option for Mjayanath is to stick to the oem specs, but if he wants more the best option is to fit in a pair of aftermarket fog light so he can switch them on when needed.