• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Buy Between 1 - 1.2Mil

san1985

Im really new to this field and planning to buy my first car....Would really appriciate all u experts help...

What would be the best buy in above mentioned price range taking in to account,

1. Fuel consumption

2. Best look

3. Resale value

I have few options in mind like FB 13, FB 14, presea, Soluna, AE 100, Carina AT 192, Lancer CB 8...(dosent matter diesel or Petrol)

Am i within the range of these...

Would looking forward to all u guys help..

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all you're concerned about is fuel consumption and resale value, a Toyota is all you should think about. Nothing else will do I'm afraid, since fuel and reselling is what most people are worried about anyway, and then you can join their ranks and raise your hand in salutation as the newer Allions and Beltas go past; "Heil Toyota! Heil, mein Fuhrer!"

If you want something else, a looker, a somewhat powerful car maybe, well, there are other vehicles out there within your budget too.

Nothing else will do I'm afraid, since fuel and reselling is what most people are worried about anyway, and then you can join their ranks and raise your hand in salutation as the newer Allions and Beltas go past; "Heil Toyota! Heil, mein Fuhrer!"

bhwahahahahhaha

vtec Eg8 or Ek3

dont spend 1.2 million for a 17 or 18 years old eg8 though its vtec. might as well try a brand new imported ek3 exi with YOM 96 or 97.

or else, go for AE 100. reliable car with decent looks.

Im really new to this field and planning to buy my first car....Would really appriciate all u experts help...

1. Fuel consumption

2. Best look

3. Resale value

I have few options in mind like FB 13, FB 14, presea, Soluna, AE 100, Carina AT 192, Lancer CB 8...(dosent matter diesel or Petrol)

Thanks in advance...

FB13- old, problematic I was told, and resale value won't be like that of a toyota anyway

FB14- decent car, again not most economic car to drive.

Presea- crap

AE100- good resale value, a well maintained one will give you peace of mind and good fuel economy but its quite old now.

Soluna- build quality is not up to mark its assembled in Taiwan I guess, haven't a good resale value although its a toyota

no idea about the carina and lancer. I'd extend the budget and go for the AE100 Marino/ceres or a FB14

Thanks everybody for replying...

dont spend 1.2 million for a 17 or 18 years old eg8 though its vtec. might as well try a brand new imported ek3 exi with YOM 96 or 97.

or else, go for AE 100. reliable car with decent looks.

Is it possible to go for a EK3 with this budget as mentioned by jaga???

FB13- old, problematic I was told, and resale value won't be like that of a toyota anyway

FB14- decent car, again not most economic car to drive.

Presea- crap

AE100- good resale value, a well maintained one will give you peace of mind and good fuel economy but its quite old now.

Soluna- build quality is not up to mark its assembled in Taiwan I guess, haven't a good resale value although its a toyota

no idea about the carina and lancer. I'd extend the budget and go for the AE100 Marino/ceres or a FB14

Why do u say FB13 is problamatic and Presea is crap??

I thought presea is a nice ride..

Can i buy a 302-xxxx AE100 around that price?? What specs and things that i should specifically look into when buying?

Budget is kine of not possible to extend brother..Its da max i can go

Pls guys help me out...

Edited by MADZ

Thanks everybody for replying...

Is it possible to go for a EK3 with this budget as mentioned by jaga???

Why do u say FB13 is problamatic and Presea is crap??

I thought presea is a nice ride..

Can i buy a 302-xxxx AE100 around that price?? What specs and things that i should specifically look into when buying?

Budget is kine of not possible to extend brother..Its da max i can go

Pls guys help me out...

Presea handles bad, very bad, you might wanna try it out for yourself. Uncle complained that FB13 has minor problems in starter motor, accelerator cable and a few other things which shouldn't be much of a worry, overall not a bad car at all.

Don't go buy a car looking just because it has a newer registration no. I've seen a lot 19- AE100's which seem to be better than 300-'s. Look for signs of corrosion throughout the body, under carpets(also in the boot). There is no major problem in the car that you should look out for.

Consider the 19-'s you may come across a well maintained one,and guess there were not much 302-'s around but anyways keep on looking.

Edited by Killer-B

1. Fuel consumption

2. Best look

3. Resale value

Thanks in advance...

you can go with decent mazda famila BH 3/5 ,

good car with decent look.

@Killer-B

Thanks brother.

BTW what would be the average market price of a Well maintained 19-XXXX AE100, if u have any idea??

@serialkiller

Im little confused with the model u mentioned. Is dat familia 323 bj5p.

I guess this car is not dat fuel efficient neada?? Correct me if im wrong..

Ran a Carina AT 192 for 15 years without any major issues

Its not that great on fuel but aside from that its a very decent all round car :)

The interior space is very good & it looks as well as handles in a perfectly acceptable manner

Certain cars may have / had ECU issues - but not a major worry - a replacement ECU or few IC's & bits with a good technician can sort things out.

KIller-B,

You sure have got your facts wrong about the Presea. I used it for 5 years before buying the current 121 and I still miss that joyous cornering and good handling. In this wretched Sri Lankan Auto Market we can't count on the resale value of cars that give a good driving pleasure than economy and all the rest of it. That’s why sadly i have to settle for a boring 121 than a Primera or a Mazda 3.

Here’s how Presea is Superior in handling:

1. Presea has McPherson Strut Indipendent Swing Axel Suspension for Front and Multi Link for Rear. This allows good road holding and aggressive cornering at higher speeds. This combination of suspension is used in BMWs for generations till today for best handling. None of the other cars in the list above has it.

2. Front Ventilated Disk and Rear Disk brakes allows higher brake response and control. All the other models you have mentioned have drum brakes in the back. My dull 121, being a family sedan has the same drum brakes.

3. Has the lowest ride height out of all mentioned cars and the lowest center of gravity. This allows minimum body roll and stability while cornering.

4. Both B14 and Presea has the same Ga15DE Engine with 105BHP @ 6k RPM and 135.3 Nm of Torque. However Presea is 120KG lighter than B14 and has a better power to weight (P2W) ratio. Even though AE100 shares the same P2W ratio, Preseas longer wheel base and shorter height compensates in better grip and handling.

Finally I quote Wikipedia:

"Handling Prowess

For more decent handling, it had Macpherson struts up front with multi-link rear suspension (with parallel arms). This independent setup combined with the longer wheelbase gave good comfort on the highway, and a pretty good grip for aggressive cornering. For many Preseas, the car was endowed with a ventilated front disc brakes with a single large piston. The rear brakes were either a solid disc brake or a semi-trailing drum brakes with self-adjusting shoes"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Presea#Handling_Prowess)

So SAN1985, if you are not too obsessed with fuel economy, if you can sacrifice just about 1 k.m per liter of in exchange for driving pleasure, I say go for the Presea. If you do, I’m sure that I will envy you as I dont have that experince anymore…

X-Rides

KIller-B,

You sure have got your facts wrong about the Presea. I used it for 5 years before buying the current 121 and I still miss that joyous cornering and good handling. In this wretched Sri Lankan Auto Market we can't count on the resale value of cars that give a good driving pleasure than economy and all the rest of it. That’s why sadly i have to settle for a boring 121 than a Primera or a Mazda 3.

Here’s how Presea is Superior in handling:

1. Presea has McPherson Strut Indipendent Swing Axel Suspension for Front and Multi Link for Rear. This allows good road holding and aggressive cornering at higher speeds. This combination of suspension is used in BMWs for generations till today for best handling. None of the other cars in the list above has it.

2. Front Ventilated Disk and Rear Disk brakes allows higher brake response and control. All the other models you have mentioned have drum brakes in the back. My dull 121, being a family sedan has the same drum brakes.

3. Has the lowest ride height out of all mentioned cars and the lowest center of gravity. This allows minimum body roll and stability while cornering.

4. Both B14 and Presea has the same Ga15DE Engine with 105BHP @ 6k RPM and 135.3 Nm of Torque. However Presea is 120KG lighter than B14 and has a better power to weight (P2W) ratio. Even though AE100 shares the same P2W ratio, Preseas longer wheel base and shorter height compensates in better grip and handling.

Finally I quote Wikipedia:

"Handling Prowess

For more decent handling, it had Macpherson struts up front with multi-link rear suspension (with parallel arms). This independent setup combined with the longer wheelbase gave good comfort on the highway, and a pretty good grip for aggressive cornering. For many Preseas, the car was endowed with a ventilated front disc brakes with a single large piston. The rear brakes were either a solid disc brake or a semi-trailing drum brakes with self-adjusting shoes"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Presea#Handling_Prowess)

So SAN1985, if you are not too obsessed with fuel economy, if you can sacrifice just about 1 k.m per liter of in exchange for driving pleasure, I say go for the Presea. If you do, I’m sure that I will envy you as I dont have that experince anymore…

X-Rides

I didn't know any of the mechanical side of the presea's but it certainly felt wrong, a bullock cart might have handled better than that. Anyone else who had a similar experience on a presea?

I didn't know any of the mechanical side of the presea's but it certainly felt wrong, a bullock cart might have handled better than that. Anyone else who had a similar experience on a presea?

i have driven presea. its not the greatest car in terms of handling..but certainly way better than a bullok cart. :P. its a good car mate!

Edited by evergreen

1. Fuel consumption

2. Best look

3. Resale value

Thanks in advance...

What about a Corolla/Sprinter 110, probably a 30X- car with basic options can be found in that range.

Hey Guys,

Of course its not the best car. A 12 year old semi compact sedan can never perform upto a skyline GTR or a Rx7. I just said its certainly better than the other candidates on the table such as B13, 14, AE100 etc.

When i had it I seriously loved it. Good Discussion Guys...

Cheers,

X-Rides

Buy a Starlet,AE/CE 100 or AT/CT 192.

If you planing to buy a AE 100, Try hard and find a 1500cc,SE vintage,white Light,Gold badge car. It's totally diferent from other AE100 cars and originaly full option one. 100% sure it comforts like a FB15 (New Shell). Goodluk.

1. Fuel consumption

2. Best look

3. Resale value

Thanks in advance...