• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Scratched Windows Due To Dirt On Weather Stripping

jdnet

Here's another DIY for anyone who may have scratched or sticking windows. The reason for me posting all the DIY/hot-to articles recently is because im in the process of restoring everything in the tribute. I'm waiting on some mechanical parts to arrive so I thoughts I would handle the rest of the stuff during that time. If you want me to post infor on changing the mechanical parts just let me know. I doubt that there's another tribute owner so I won't post that info unless requested.

Also if you want be to stop making a million diy posts please do let me know. If you want more please comment and also share your views if ou feelyou have a better way around things.

Anyway, when I bought the tribute I noticed that the rear windows were sticking and all four windows up front were scratched. I decided to have a look today to see what the problem was. What I found was the weather stripping coated in sand and dirt that almost looked like mud.

If you have the same problem or are noticing a few scratches on your windows it would help to check your weather stripping. It would also be good preventative maintainence too. To remove the outer weather stripping on the windows simply take a flat screw driver and wedge it between the weather stripping and the metal on the door, taking care not to bend the weather stripping or scratch the door. Pry it upwards and once you have a bit of it off the door just pull the rest out with your hand.

One thing you should do is to make sure you dont bend the weather stripping. After you have removed it just wash it down under a tap and use some dish washing soap to wash the side that makes contact with the window.Just gently rub the soap in with your fingers and don't scrub. Scrubbing will damage the soft suede like material that makes contact with the window. Once you are done cleaning all four just install them right away. You could let it dry but it's really not needed.

Before installing make sure you clean the area where the weather stripping was. You would notice a lot of dirt. After your done clean the windows too.

Here are some pics.

SNC00037.jpg

SNC00031.jpg

SNC00032.jpg

SNC00034.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...