• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maruti 800 And Alto New Prices

esandun

Try a Viva then, or maybe a wagonR? I dunno about the build quality of these but yet it seems to be solid than a maruti. cheers!

huh??? Both maruti and suzuki make the wagonR and if he's going to buy a brand new one, then it's probably a maruti...

Not all cars are the same, even those made by the same manufacturer. Japanese cars are designed to meet safety standards like of Euro NCAP's, I guess certain Indian(TATA NANO) and Malaysian cars were also designed to meet these standards, but if you were unlucky enough to be in a chinese car during a collison the roof would obviously fall down on your head, the steering column would end up in your mouth.

Even though the maruti is based on an older suzuki model, the indians use cheap 'papadam thahadu' to build these cars, so it cannot be compared with its base model either.

The quality of the metal, ites preparation and the conditioning might not be the same. As in the metal will rust faster etc. But the thickness or the guage of metal would be the same. This is because you still have to build the car to the same spec or body integrity is compromised.

Indian cars don't have the finish that Japanese cars have, nor the build quality and for that matter the same levels of trim and equipment levels. But they are generally mechanically reliable, cheap to maintain and gets people from A to B. Safety is always an issue in a small car, and when you hit something with a lot more mass there is usually one clear winner.

windscreen falling to the ground is not the issue.

Well... it wouldn't be much of an issue if the impact was a big one. But this impact was not that huge.. Most amusing thing was that the entire windshield was on the floor but it was not broken as if someone just placed it on the floor carefully. :mellow:

I guess this might give you a clear indication on the severity of the impact. Sorry for not mentioning this before :)

huh??? Both maruti and suzuki make the wagonR and if he's going to buy a brand new one, then it's probably a maruti...

That should be a "maruti" maruti. Jeez, what you call that maruti? you know the 800AC thing? WagonR is made by maruti alright but there is a jap too right? Although that would be beyond his budget. WagonR LOOKS more solid to me.

The quality of the metal, ites preparation and the conditioning might not be the same. As in the metal will rust faster etc. But the thickness or the guage of metal would be the same. This is because you still have to build the car to the same spec or body integrity is compromised.

Indian cars don't have the finish that Japanese cars have, nor the build quality and for that matter the same levels of trim and equipment levels. But they are generally mechanically reliable, cheap to maintain and gets people from A to B. Safety is always an issue in a small car, and when you hit something with a lot more mass there is usually one clear winner.

Oh I see, Lot of info in there mate. :)

when you hit something with a lot more mass there is usually one clear winner.

Reminds me of our physics class, "momentum"

Alto, Col-Kandy in the back seat, worst and slowest car journey in my life other than a few kms in a Maruti 800. Had cramps even the next day, the rear is just impossible to sit in straight! dry.gif And not to mention heavily loaded slow lumbering trucks could go up the Kadugannawa hill better than the Alto, could barely do 30km/h. Go for it if there is absolutely nothing else, but I'd prefer a Starlet to that any day, even the EP82.

I've heard the Viva to be better, though no personal comments as I've not been in one.

According to the feedback of Alto owners(who have used Indian and Japanese for years) I got to know that it is not a bad car but you should know its limits very well. And it is a very good car for starter. B)

I agree with you.New indian Alto looks better than used jap Alto 2007.Marutis are well used for years and no of users are increasing daily.Never spend so much for a car under present ecconomic situation.And it is a very good car for starter than buying 12 years old used one with hidden mechanical problems.Good luck with your new Alto.

Alto, Col-Kandy in the back seat, worst and slowest car journey in my life other than a few kms in a Maruti 800. Had cramps even the next day, the rear is just impossible to sit in straight! dry.gif And not to mention heavily loaded slow lumbering trucks could go up the Kadugannawa hill better than the Alto, could barely do 30km/h. Go for it if there is absolutely nothing else, but I'd prefer a Starlet to that any day, even the EP82.

I've heard the Viva to be better, though no personal comments as I've not been in one.

'BLu3HaZe', I don't think Starlets are more spacious than any other car in this category.

Look at leg-space in following image.

http://216.157.134.75/ad.asp?ID=40778

00040778_9.jpg

Edited by CruiseControl

'BLu3HaZe', I don't think Starlets are more spacious than any other car in this category.

Look at leg-space in following image.

http://216.157.134.75/ad.asp?ID=40778

00040778_9.jpg

They are at least a bit comfortable than the alto! Bluhaze didn't make any reference to leg space in his previous posts either, being the owner of a starlet I do agree that the car has little leg space but you could comfortably sit and enjoy the colombo- kandy ride without getting any cramps on your legs. You may not have noticed that the front seats are dragged back for whatever the reason, there is more leg space than that.

It's not exactly the leg room itself I was describing as Killer-B pointed but the overall result which comes along with the wooden like seats. Besides, they're not even in the same category with the Alto being a kei car and the Starlet isn't.

As you seem to favour the Maruti Alto though, do go for one if you really want to. But I've met much more than one person regretting buying the Maruti instead of the Suzuki 660cc at a little extra cost cuz of the lack of power, worse build quality, less efficiency, less quality parts needing more frequent replacement and so on, in the end leading to a higher cost of ownership.

Edited by BLu3HaZe

It's not exactly the leg room itself I was describing as Killer-B pointed but the overall result which comes along with the wooden like seats. Besides, they're not even in the same category with the Alto being a kei car and the Starlet isn't.

As you seem to favour the Maruti Alto though, do go for one if you really want to. But I've met much more than one person regretting buying the Maruti instead of the Suzuki 660cc at a little extra cost cuz of the lack of power, worse build quality, less efficiency, less quality parts needing more frequent replacement and so on, in the end leading to a higher cost of ownership.

No i was a maruti alto owner for more than two years... initially I had a starlet tooo. but indian altos are not that bad as u have mentioned abv...

I expressed personal opinion in first part and comments from owners in the second part, different people perceive things differently :)

Non related - As for doubts some have regarding the engine, the second hand 4E-FE never gave a trouble during 7 years of ownership but the brand new 2NZ-FE did twice in 2 years.

oh yeah! :)

Good to see you back Don! That's one long vacation you took from the forums! :D

Thanks Ripper ! I've just been so busy and time does fly !

Well... it wouldn't be much of an issue if the impact was a big one. But this impact was not that huge.. Most amusing thing was that the entire windshield was on the floor but it was not broken as if someone just placed it on the floor carefully. :mellow:

I guess this might give you a clear indication on the severity of the impact. Sorry for not mentioning this before :)

I think if the lorry hit the car in a certain angle bending the windscreen mounts even slightly off, the windscreen will fall out :) I would actually prefer the windscreen to fall out rather than fall in :) Most cars these days are not constructed from very strong metal and rely on crumple zones and impact beams to keep people safe. You guys should actually see how small European cars cope with impact. Most small cars are a complete write off even in a minor impact though the passenger compartments hold their integrity. I think the primary concern of most automakers these days is passenger safety rather than preserving the vehicle in a collision.

Thanks Ripper ! I've just been so busy and time does fly !

I think if the lorry hit the car in a certain angle bending the windscreen mounts even slightly off, the windscreen will fall out :) I would actually prefer the windscreen to fall out rather than fall in :) Most cars these days are not constructed from very strong metal and rely on crumple zones and impact beams to keep people safe. You guys should actually see how small European cars cope with impact. Most small cars are a complete write off even in a minor impact though the passenger compartments hold their integrity. I think the primary concern of most automakers these days is passenger safety rather than preserving the vehicle in a collision.

IMO passenger safty has always been #1 priority for car manufacurers. Volvo is basically marketed on this basis. I nudged my sisters starlet EP83 on to a old Hyundai from behind and the bonnet just curled up. I wonder if the Indian cars also conform to safty standards.

IMO passenger safty has always been #1 priority for car manufacurers.

bwahahahahhahahhaha I hope you are joking....If not you are clearly mistaken. Look into the 1977 Ford Pinto and how they knew about a design flaw before manufacturing the car and were to greedy to pay for a redesign.

• 3 years later...