• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maruti 800 And Alto New Prices

esandun

Do phone calls cost so much these days that people can't just call the agent and find the price?

+1

Was thinking the same thing.

But you know, this isnt the first time that someone opened a thread asking for prices of Marutis or some other A*W related vehicle.

And i'm sure we remember M*W's cheap marketing tricks some months ago :D Some people never learn...

@cruise control:

There are so many other options for 1.2 million that will give you a safer more comfortable and specious ride than a Maruti. If you're willing to go for technology thats 10-15 years old why not but a 2nd hand Japanese car. Your Maruti will last you a year or so before that starts to fall apart. Plus A*W are known for pretty bad customer service, so if you DO want to buy a small 'new car' you might want to consider the Korean and Malaysian models too. I would think they'd still be better value for money than a maruti/Alto

@cruise control:

There are so many other options for 1.2 million that will give you a safer more comfortable and specious ride than a Maruti. If you're willing to go for technology thats 10-15 years old why not but a 2nd hand Japanese car. Your Maruti will last you a year or so before that starts to fall apart. Plus A*W are known for pretty bad customer service, so if you DO want to buy a small 'new car' you might want to consider the Korean and Malaysian models too. I would think they'd still be better value for money than a maruti/Alto

Well.... actually, a Maruti should hold its own for about three or four years... :) But yeh, I agree with you, you're better off with an older Jap car. A Starlet maybe?

@cruise control:

I agree with your argument. But I talked to many Alto owners and got to know that it is a trouble free, car for 4-5 years. And very economical (15kmpl in city + inexpensive spares). All of them haven’t got any major repairs within that period and just low maintenance cost. I hope to use ALTO for 3-4 years and second hand market seems not bad so far. Owners are quite satisfied with Alto but I know safety is a major issue in those vehicles. But some things have to be compromised within that price tag. There is another option for me to buy a Perodua VIVA. (I am eager to have a brand new car ) I should think about that.

I agree with your argument. But I talked to many Alto owners and got to know that it is a trouble free, car for 4-5 years. And very economical (15kmpl in city + inexpensive spares). All of them haven’t got any major repairs within that period and just low maintenance cost. I hope to use ALTO for 3-4 years and second hand market seems not bad so far. Owners are quite satisfied with Alto but I know safety is a major issue in those vehicles. But some things have to be compromised within that price tag. There is another option for me to buy a Perodua VIVA. (I am eager to have a brand new car ) I should think about that.

Viva would be a better option, fuel efficiency is roughly the same as a Maruti I guess, Drove a Perodua Impian once and the car was comfortable enough, safety cannot be matched to a jap in the same league though. Anyways I would recommend you a Starlet.

@cruise control:

There are other options as well for your price range in Brand new cars.

Friend of mine has a 2010 Perdoua Viva and the feedback is good on that car regarding MPG and drive comfort.

Also you can checkout the Maruti Estilo, not sure if that will fit in your range but worth a try.

I guess the new Hyuindai i20 might be a bit more expensive.

but I know safety is a major issue in those vehicles. But some things have to be compromised within that price tag.

When talking about the safety of Alto's i'd like to share an incident which i saw with my own eyes.

It was a sunday evening (around 3pm) and i was walking on Galle road near Mount lavinia town.

Suddenly i saw this Ashok Layland bus going around 40kmph hit an Alto on it's rear side. The impact was not very huge, but the car was pushed by the impact for about 50+ meters. The impact point on the Alto was around the mid part of it's trunk. But the amusing thing was that the entire rear wind shield just popped out from the car due to this impact and it was on the floor. I was rather amused to see this since the impact point was well below the wind shield but somehow the windshield just popped out with all the rubber beadings which puts it in place.

The car was a brand new one. Not even registered i think. I felt very sorry for the owners.

I think people should be a bit more concerned about the safety aspect when buying vehicles such as these... :mellow:

Edited by LashNeo

Viva would be a better option, fuel efficiency is roughly the same as a Maruti I guess, Drove a Perodua Impian once and the car was comfortable enough, safety cannot be matched to a jap in the same league though. Anyways I would recommend you a Starlet.

Starlet is a better option, but It would not be possible to find a EP91 good conditioned car for 1.2mil. I noticed ep91 reflet owners are quoting 1.5mil. :( EP82 and below are bit old tho. Either I should wait and extend my budget or go for VIVA or Alto.

Starlet is a better option, but It would not be possible to find a EP91 good conditioned car for 1.2mil. I noticed ep91 reflet owners are quoting 1.5mil. :( EP82 and below are bit old tho. Either I should wait and extend my budget or go for VIVA or Alto.

Theres not much of a difference in price between a registered 2005-2008 Alto. So its better to go in for a brand new car be it Alto or Perdoua.

Another car which falls in your range ould be the Micro Trend.

Try to go for some test drives of these cars and you can judge which fits your needs best.

All the best.

Theres not much of a difference in price between a registered 2005-2008 Alto. So its better to go in for a brand new car be it Alto or Perdoua.

Another car which falls in your range ould be the Micro Trend.

Try to go for some test drives of these cars and you can judge which fits your needs best.

All the best.

I'll never buy an used alto since owners claim more than brand new price. It is very funny that 5 year old alto asks for 50k more than brand new price.

I have drove both VIVA and Alto, quiet fits to me. But don't know much about micro trend. I am afraid about trend because spare parts are not freely available and have to depend on agent. Can't guarantee what will happen in future. :violent-smiley-099:

I'll never buy an used alto since owners claim more than brand new price. It is very funny that 5 year old alto asks for 50k more than brand new price.

I have drove both VIVA and Alto, quiet fits to me. But don't know much about micro trend. I am afraid about trend because spare parts are not freely available and have to depend on agent. Can't guarantee what will happen in future. :violent-smiley-099:

Thats right, the used car prices are somewhat same or a bit more than a B/N car price sometimes.

Did you try getting details on the Maruti estilo and the Maruti A-Star.

Might be in your price range.

But given the choice for a B/N hatch i think the Viva might be a good option.

Not to dissuade you machang, but while the Maruti's are very economical, cheap to maintain, and as brand new vehicles, will give you trouble free motoring for a couple of years, that's where the good news ends. You're gonna have to live with an uncomfortable driving position, cramped interior, small boot, very little rear leg space and inferior build quality. Driving for more than half and hour becomes difficult, driving outstation can be harder as a result, driving quickly is gonna be quite out of the question, you'll have to avoid potholes like the plague, and as it is a smaller car, you will be undoubtedly harassed by other vehicles like trishaws, buses and trucks, and the latter can be quite scary when you're in such a fragile car. Trust me, the vices far outweigh the virtues, and a few years with a Maruti is gonna be quite tiresome. Especially if you have family.

If you're a person who likes to drive or wants to drive in comfort and safety, I'd advise you to steer clear of them.

previously I had an Alto... I Recently purchased an AStar from A*W... got it last week to my hand..it is a very good car for 1.7 Mil ... Decent Interior... attractive design... for me it looks nicer than a Passo or Vitz :).. good ground clearance (170mm)... excellent handling (U have to drive and see to experience it)...security system was installed by the dealer free of charge..in addition to that u get a good factory fitted sound system with MP3\CD player with four speakers.. if you can afford that price this is the car for you...infact in India users have rated this car above Hyundai i10.. i got it with 2 years \40k's warranty as well

Not to dissuade you machang, but while the Maruti's are very economical, cheap to maintain, and as brand new vehicles, will give you trouble free motoring for a couple of years, that's where the good news ends. You're gonna have to live with an uncomfortable driving position, cramped interior, small boot, very little rear leg space and inferior build quality. Driving for more than half and hour becomes difficult, driving outstation can be harder as a result, driving quickly is gonna be quite out of the question, you'll have to avoid potholes like the plague, and as it is a smaller car, you will be undoubtedly harassed by other vehicles like trishaws, buses and trucks, and the latter can be quite scary when you're in such a fragile car. Trust me, the vices far outweigh the virtues, and a few years with a Maruti is gonna be quite tiresome. Especially if you have family.

If you're a person who likes to drive or wants to drive in comfort and safety, I'd advise you to steer clear of them.

Most of the facts you have stated here are common with Starlets, Marches, Vivas, and Altos. They all got cramped interior, little leg space and boot space. I am not referring to maruti800 since it is a really uncomfortable. But I have seen some people have moved to Alto by selling their March(considering the economical factor) and did not had much complaints. There is a huge demand for these cars now and What I am asking is that is it (Alto) such a bad car for starter? Isn’t it really worth to spend just 1.2mil for it?

Most of the facts you have stated here are common with Starlets, Marches, Vivas, and Altos. They all got cramped interior, little leg space and boot space. I am not referring to maruti800 since it is a really uncomfortable. But I have seen some people have moved to Alto by selling their March(considering the economical factor) and did not had much complaints. There is a huge demand for these cars now and What I am asking is that is it (Alto) such a bad car for starter? Isn’t it really worth to spend just 1.2mil for it?

Well, it's easy to say that all hatchbacks have the same symptoms cause they're much smaller cars, but you're talking about a car even smaller than a regular hatch. A Suzuki Ignis may only be slighter larger than an Alto, but it's got a lot more room inside, plus it's easier to drive.

In any case, I guess it's hard to beat the fact that you get a brand new car for 1.2 mil, but as far as value for money goes, it's not a good buy imo. You'll find the Jap cars more durable and comfortable, and less prone to damage, as opposed to an Indian, which will start falling apart after three to four years. I'm not saying they're horrible cars, just that for that price, you can probably find a good car elsewhere.

Thanks for all replies.

Does Daihatsu, Hijet is better in terms of safety when compared with Maruti 800 and Alto?

Suzuki's New Every DA64 (2005-06 Model) is better in terms of safety. It has got ABS and dual Airbags.

However they cost between Rs. 1.6 - 2 Million (Un-Reg./Re-conditioned.)

Once went to see one at Wheels Lanka which was absolutely a piece of junk (Even though it was less than 5 years old). Could not believe that the Japanese abuse their vans to such an extent. Wheels Lanka quoted Rs. 1.6 Million for it and told that they will condition it into "brand new" condition, but actually what it needed was a comprehensive restoration job. Further it had a genuine odometer reading of 147000+ kms and also comes with a JAAI certificate.

When talking about the safety of Alto's i'd like to share an incident which i saw with my own eyes.

It was a sunday evening (around 3pm) and i was walking on Galle road near Mount lavinia town.

Suddenly i saw this Ashok Layland bus going around 40kmph hit an Alto on it's rear side. The impact was not very huge, but the car was pushed by the impact for about 50+ meters. The impact point on the Alto was around the mid part of it's trunk. But the amusing thing was that the entire rear wind shield just popped out from the car due to this impact and it was on the floor. I was rather amused to see this since the impact point was well below the wind shield but somehow the windshield just popped out with all the rubber beadings which puts it in place.

The car was a brand new one. Not even registered i think. I felt very sorry for the owners.

I think people should be a bit more concerned about the safety aspect when buying vehicles such as these... :mellow:

I think the more important fact is whether there was any harm or injury caused to the occupants of this vehicle, because that is the primary concern of motor manufacturers.

Most modern cars attempt to soften the impact via crumple zones which will collapse on impact absorbing most of the force. Essentially most of the outer layer of the car will self destruct to maintain the integrity of the passenger compartment. So the windscreen falling to the ground is not the issue. It is whether the passenger compartment was compromised or whether the relatively low speed impact caused a significant injury to the occupants. I'd assume most small cars would (and should) behave in exactly the same way, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Malaysian or otherwise.

It might also worth noting that the current Indian Alto is the model before the current Suzuki Alto so it is not that old, and should be at least as safe as the older Japanese car. The Maruti 800 however is based on a much older Suzuki design which is no longer being manufactured. But to be honest, I would be more worried about buying cars which have been built ground up by younge car companies (like some Chinese brands) compared to cars based on proven but older designs by mature car companies (like Suzuki).

The choice of individual model, brand new, re-con or used is a matter of personal opinion, and to be honest all of them have pros and cons. I mean there are old Jap cars (even re con ones) which are absolute death traps on our roads, as they were either involved in accidents in Japan (and sustained chassis damage) and repaired, or repaired after collisions in Sri Lanka. Basically a car isn't always safe or roadworthy if the crumple zones have been compromised.

So the final decision I'd leave to you guys :)

It might also worth noting that the current Indian Alto is the model before the current Suzuki Alto so it is not that old, and should be at least as safe as the older Japanese car. The Maruti 800 however is based on a much older Suzuki design which is no longer being manufactured.

Maruti 800 is based on 1986 Suzuki Alto while Maruti Alto is based on 1998 Suzuki Alto

Maruti A-Star is as same as the current Export-model Suzuki Alto.

I think the more important fact is whether there was any harm or injury caused to the occupants of this vehicle, because that is the primary concern of motor manufacturers.

Most modern cars attempt to soften the impact via crumple zones which will collapse on impact absorbing most of the force. Essentially most of the outer layer of the car will self destruct to maintain the integrity of the passenger compartment. So the windscreen falling to the ground is not the issue. It is whether the passenger compartment was compromised or whether the relatively low speed impact caused a significant injury to the occupants. I'd assume most small cars would (and should) behave in exactly the same way, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Malaysian or otherwise.

It might also worth noting that the current Indian Alto is the model before the current Suzuki Alto so it is not that old, and should be at least as safe as the older Japanese car. The Maruti 800 however is based on a much older Suzuki design which is no longer being manufactured. But to be honest, I would be more worried about buying cars which have been built ground up by younge car companies (like some Chinese brands) compared to cars based on proven but older designs by mature car companies (like Suzuki).

The choice of individual model, brand new, re-con or used is a matter of personal opinion, and to be honest all of them have pros and cons. I mean there are old Jap cars (even re con ones) which are absolute death traps on our roads, as they were either involved in accidents in Japan (and sustained chassis damage) and repaired, or repaired after collisions in Sri Lanka. Basically a car isn't always safe or roadworthy if the crumple zones have been compromised.

So the final decision I'd leave to you guys :)

I love this post. :rolleyes:

Yes indeed, starlet owners are demanding absurd prices for a 12year old car, but even I would do that because there are people who buy it nevertheless. Try a Viva then, or maybe a wagonR? I dunno about the build quality of these but yet it seems to be solid than a maruti. cheers!

Not all cars are the same, even those made by the same manufacturer. Japanese cars are designed to meet safety standards like of Euro NCAP's, I guess certain Indian(TATA NANO) and Malaysian cars were also designed to meet these standards, but if you were unlucky enough to be in a chinese car during a collison the roof would obviously fall down on your head, the steering column would end up in your mouth.

Even though the maruti is based on an older suzuki model, the indians use cheap 'papadam thahadu' to build these cars, so it cannot be compared with its base model either.