• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiator Flush

ransam

Question

11 answers to this question

My radiator seems to have rust inside. I want to do a radiator flush and refill. Are there any recommended places where I can get this done?

Next time try and use the search option in the forum to retrieve any older posts that could relate to your issue.

Anyway I can take the trouble to point out a few things since I have done this quite a few times on my own cars.

Its an easy do it yourself job.

If your considered about rust clogging your cooling system, then a flush should do it unless your radiator is going to need more attention than that. First you need to find a solvent that helps all the rust and other things inside come out. I usually use Prestone Super Radiotor Flush with water and run the engine for 10 mins with heater on high. Then remove the drain plug let that ish out and fill it with Coolant and ONLY coolant. Keep that as a rule of thumb! And dispose any used coolant with responsibility.

Please be mindful as the radiator flush removes rust it may further weaken the already weak cooling system walls (if there is a lot of rust) which may result coolant leaks. I recon you don't flush the radiator if you intend to travel a long journey within the next week or so. (Just to avoid the hassle of being stuck by the road). Even after flushing the cooling system please check your 'check engine' and temperature indicator at least every 10 km or so. If the temperature is rising that means you might have a problem which needs immediate attention.

Next time try and use the search option in the forum to retrieve any older posts that could relate to your issue.

Anyway I can take the trouble to point out a few things since I have done this quite a few times on my own cars.

If your considered about rust clogging your cooling system, then a flush should do it unless your radiator is going to need more attention than that. First you need to find a solvent that helps all the rust and other things inside come out. I usually use Prestone Super Radiotor Flush with water and run the engine for 10 mins with heater on high. Then remove the drain plug let that ish out and fill it with Coolant and ONLY coolant. Keep that as a rule of thumb! And dispose any used coolant with responsibility.

Hi DevakaC,

I was under impression that we should addup a certain percentage of water too with coolant... Please advise on this if you have a further idea on this since I might wrong here...

Thanks,

Hi DevakaC,

I was under impression that we should addup a certain percentage of water too with coolant... Please advise on this if you have a further idea on this since I might wrong here...

Thanks,

That depends on the coolant. The bottle should have instructions on mixing if you should, and whats the ratio. Some products are not to be mixed at all.

Hi DevakaC,

Thanks,

SpeedyAss,

As peri mentioned it depends on if you get the 50/50 pre-diluted coolant or the coolant by its self. If you get the second kind it should be mixed with a ratio of 1:1. 1 litre of coolant with 1 litre water. What i meant to emphasize earlier was not to use water by it self.

If you flush the radiator, topping it with the non pre-diluted stuff could be cheaper. If your just topping it off, always try to use the pre-diluted stuff. Also if you live in a place where water seem to be salty I would settle with the pre-diluted stuff just to be safe against any oxidation.

SpeedyAss,

As peri mentioned it depends on if you get the 50/50 pre-diluted coolant or the coolant by its self. If you get the second kind it should be mixed with a ratio of 1:1. 1 litre of coolant with 1 litre water. What i meant to emphasize earlier was not to use water by it self.

If you flush the radiator, topping it with the non pre-diluted stuff could be cheaper. If your just topping it off, always try to use the pre-diluted stuff. Also if you live in a place where water seem to be salty I would settle with the pre-diluted stuff just to be safe against any oxidation.

Thanks for the info DevakaC...

Mind you, I'm not Ass. ;) Just kidding mate. Take it easy. :alc:

SpeedyAss,

Thanks for the info DevakaC...

Mind you, I'm not Ass. ;) Just kidding mate. Take it easy. :alc:

On 11/29/2010 at 4:25 AM, DevakaC said:

Hi Friend,

Thanks for your infor. Could you pls let me know from where I could buy prestone radiator flush in Sri Lanka?

@Ted Unit#d Mot#rs used to import "Prestone" years ago but i don't think the product is freely available anymore.

They used to sell out of their Hyde Park corner showroom so try calling them. Also check with Motorcade on Braybrooke Place.

Failing which try a German brand called LiquiMoly - i've used a number of their products personally and have been quite happy.

I think they had a radiator flush https://greasemonkey.lk/product/liqui-moly-radiator-cleaner-300ml-1804/

The local agent is Semini Motors in Panchikawatte just before Tower Hall. Price maybe a little cheaper when buying direct vs online so call and check

• Like 1