• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airtel Data Connection Sucks

serialkiller

Does any on have problem with airtel data connection around Rajagiriya aria.

using nearly two months now ,after 6pm don't get any data at all. :angry:

called customer care few times , buggers don't have good answer and solution, just passing the ball here and there. :angry-smiley-002:

time to move to SLT ADSL, wondering about there speed?

wrong time wrong Decision, ADSL is screwed now, many facing issues such as line getting disconnected, low download and upload speed etc

GihanFX,

As this ADSl and telecommunication topic had come up on this Auto forum I will add my experience with all Telecommunication operators in Srilanka.I hope moderators will not object.

SLT our 1st provider to Telecommunications made very high profits from ADSL giving us substandard ADSL system very low speeds.We formed a ADSL Forum and represented the matter to TRC at Narahenpita but the were also very lethargic in implementation of new systems and some higher authorities were not conversant with the subject they believe what SLT engineers say.

Mobitel HSDPA was little better.

Diolog HSDPA is also some what better than SLT ADSL not as good as Mobitel HSDPA.

Airtel HSDPA good in some situations in the city and outstations cannot compare to Mobitel.

ADSL we are sharing with other subscribers all the time more subscribers log in the download speed will reduce.

I used ISDN still I have that system is outdated in the world but you will get if you use both lines good speed have to pay for every minute twice the amount If I use both lines charges are like telephone calls it is a Digital line with two numbers.

I have Dialog CDMA 2 lines both are not working correctly Dialed subscriber on the other end cannot hear our conversation due my situation at Colombo 030. For last three years more than 5 complains were made they come and give a new unit it is also same now the engeneering deartment of dialog is trying to solve the problem by installing another tower in Colombo 030.

SLT CDMA I bought a new unit during the system inauguration time. The CDMA Telephone unit returned to Kollupitiya Tele shop in three days due to drop calls.

Tele shop manager Colombo 030 Signed acknowledgment with my complain for the reason to return new CDMA instrument with lot of hesitation. As he wae instructed not to take back what is sold.I said if you don't take back next is I will go immediately to consumer protection authority and loge my complain with the new instrument.

More than 30 Telephone calls 10 letters were written to SLT higher authorities without any answer.

At last I got my deposit back with difficulty after three years when I threatened to complain the matter to consumer protection authority. Because I had all documents evidence recorded the conversations with the CDMA Engineers of SLT about my complain of drop calls when complain call originated from said CDMA unit was with SLT call got disconnected.

I have Lanka Bell CDMA for last four years working very well no complains time to time they have so far given me two new units for used unit and every year they change battery free of charge. when this time they changed the battery they informed me in future from next year they will charge only for the battery.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

wrong time wrong Decision, ADSL is screwed now, many facing issues such as line getting disconnected, low download and upload speed etc

Problem I am having with Airtel is, it's disconnecting continuously. didn't get data at all.

If i tried to send a email with attachment, have to attached it few times. :angry:

and weird part is some times i have to wait about 15 mins to load the page. :angry:

if I get 1kb continuously I will be a happy man. :)

Problem I am having with Airtel is, it's disconnecting continuously. didn't get data at all.

If i tried to send a email with attachment, have to attached it few times. :angry:

and weird part is some times i have to wait about 15 mins to load the page. :angry:

If I may interrupt, Isn't this an Automotive Blog ???

So far from what i've seen and heard...mobitel seems to be the best.

not too sure for how long as they don't expand their bandwith in relation to expansion of their customer base...

I'm on dialog and that too plain sucks...

Even FB takes ages to load in the evenings...

The only decent speeds in get is early part of the day...

so basically they too have a bandwith issue...

I'm gonna give a couple of weeks more to dialog and if things don't improve...gonna switch to mobitel

I i were you i'd ditch the bloody connection...i mean 15 mins to wait for a page to load???

that's worse than a dialup

Mobitel HSDPA sucks at Kotte area !

Connection is damn slow and gets disconnected once in 3 mins.

Anyone with similar experience.

Complained twice, but I only get but what I got was two lectures on how to setup your HSDPA modem by two know-it-all female customer care officers and then nice talk from another agent who showed sympathy on my issue to be followed by a lecture by Telecom Engineer on why such slow speed is not possible in Kotte area.

Look Guys the fact of the matter remains that HSPDA connections are essentially mobile connections- and with wireless connections there can always be coverage issues and disturbances in the frequency due to external sources- which are most likely outside the control of the Telco operator. (of course this is not always the case)

Also HSPDA connections in general is not the right choice for heavy downloads which require constant connectivity- eg. P2P sharing. for that you need DSL connections, as signal drops is almost normal on HSPDA which causes the disconnect.

Anyway just a personal opinion- In SL, the BB consumer in general demands the lowest price and expects the highest performance. Its not easy for the Telco to always deliver the best service at the market set price (very low), as the costs of providing this service is high, there is little Regulatory support and there are not enough volumes. (as would be the case in India)

Anyway from personal experience after using and comparing. I'd rate mobitel very highly for BB connection performance and coverage.

I've got ADSL 512kbps connection at home and using Airtel prepaid once in a while.

So far no major issues with the ADSL with normal internet browing. But P2P download gives only around 38 - 48 kbps in average.

Airtel did not had any coverage in the area that I live in initially (less than 8Km from Kandy City). However in middle of the city with full signal I tried the connection few days.

But faced several issues in browsing,

If there are Java scripts running in webpage, those pages does not getting loaded at all.

And some days connection drops in every 2,3 minutes for both normal browsing and with P2P, youtube, etc. And this did not happened due to signal drop. One of the engineer tested my connection while on phone with me. He confirmed that my connection is active all the time, but data trasnferate dropped to 0 which he couldn't explain why. But later I got to know that they monitor areas seperately and control the bandwidth. Not sure to what extend its true.

So I now stay away from using it as no point of reloading money without using it with in the given period.

I've been a happy user of Mobitel HSDPA for about a year now, would highly recommend it to anyone, anytime.

Provides pretty decent speed as well as being economical, more or less like a corolla ;) Customer care services are excellent and I've no problem with disconnection as someone in an earlier post had mentioned. Cheaper when compared to dialog, I was told that Airtel provides much cheaper rates but the 3.5G network covers only main cities an suburbs.

Cheers!

PS: This is not any sort of an advertisement but just the opinion of a satisfied Mobitel customer.

Edited by Killer-B

I've been a happy user of Mobitel HSDPA for about a year now, would highly recommend it to anyone, anytime.

Provides pretty decent speed as well as being economical, more or less like a corolla ;) Customer care services are excellent and I've no problem with disconnection as someone in an earlier post had mentioned. Cheaper when compared to dialog, I was told that Airtel provides much cheaper rates but the 3.5G network covers only main cities an suburbs.

Cheers!

PS: This is not any sort of an advertisement but just the opinion of a satisfied Mobitel customer.

kILLER-B,

You have said the correct analysis of the HSDPA system of three operators I have all 3 operators dongles but mostly use Mobitel dongle as you had said that provider has excellent customer care and speed too is the best out of other HSDPA providers.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

well....speed of the broadband connection always depends.. example- i get 2mbps speed here in wattala but i get 300-400 kbps in rathmalana.

there is a common "page loading" problem with airtel which happens often.. i dont know what is the reason bcoz sometimes pages doesn't load for 1-2 mins but i can download something in very good dl speed at the same time.

fb seems to work with airtel pretty good.it always loads very fast while others takes longer time to load.

and yeah... u wont have a answer from the customer care bcoz all they tell is they are having a "slight connection issue" at the time(which i have hears since last 2 years)

:)

True, Airtel really sucks.

im having a 600 rentel package and like after 6 pm very very hard to browse the net.

i'v heard that they have allocated only one I.P for all the 600 package users and due to that shit gets slow.

i have an ida of shifting to an other provider but as far i know in SL all are providing same shit service and less value for money.

True, Airtel really sucks.

im having a 600 rentel package and like after 6 pm very very hard to browse the net.

i'v heard that they have allocated only one I.P for all the 600 package users and due to that shit gets slow.

i have an ida of shifting to an other provider but as far i know in SL all are providing same shit service and less value for money.

I highly doubt they are using one static IP for such a wide base :) The slowness can sometimes boil down to the caching mechanism they are using or the way they manage their international bandwidth, which may cause variations in the speed that different sites load at.

Here are some Speed test Results

Airtel (converted phone as a router and conected to net from Lap )

Airtel Speed From the Phone

SLT ADSL

ill upload Mobitel and Dialog Results Later

Actually , I am not worrying about the download speed, ( i am using 600 package and i don't download heavy stuff )

I am worrying about the disconnecting line continually .

True ,some time I got even 400kbps then it's suddenly drops to 0kb,

and have to connect again.

That's sucks when you are trying send a email with attachments.

When I ask about this from customer care, they said "they are having some signal issue in that aria"

I mean comon, I live in Rajagiriya. and buggers saying they FULLY covered colombo.

Most frustrated part is i had to watch there freaking advertisements saying "Apita Balan inna be ....."

I highly doubt they are using one static IP for such a wide base :) The slowness can sometimes boil down to the caching mechanism they are using or the way they manage their international bandwidth, which may cause variations in the speed that different sites load at.

yap not static its dynamic and what i heard is ip is shared too

Got Airtel and Mobitel both now so can compare unlike when I first had only Airtel. As MkX and royalkalana said, yes there is a slight issue in loading pages with scripts and flash videos, the data rate drops to 0 after some time, but reloading always works for me :) Though it is a pain sometime, and happens between 6pm and 12am usually. After that it's blazing fast, no problems whatsoever. But at any time with P2P connections, it gives me average minimum of 50KB/s (400 kbps) with a maximum of around 240KB/s (1920kbps) cuz their limiting isn't that solid. It's cheapest too so I'm happy enough, with 5GB at 1.8Mbps less than 450Rs.

Mobitel is a different story, whatever the time is, it's amazingly fast in browsing web pages but kinda slow, around 30KB/s (240kbps) max as I've seen in P2P. I think they may be throttling P2P traffic while Airtel has something going the other way around.

About the shared IP, the limited plans in Airtel have separate dynamic IP as I was told, such as the 600 package serialkiller is speaking of. But unlimited plans such as mine have one shared static IP address and that makes it nearly impossible to download from rapidshare etc. cuz they check the IP address. After 12, most people are sleeping so then possible ;)

Oh and btw, these are only valid for the place they're currently used. If I take my Airtel conn to the front of the house, it sucks big time and same case with Mobitel if I bring it to my room. Dialog sucks everywhere over here, very low speeds other than outside the house. Wireless connections will always have that problem with coverage.