• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Flashing Abs And Hand Break Indicator

AMI0755

Question

Mine is a Suzuki Swift 2001, I fell on to a gaping hole few weeks ago, and experiencing the problem of flashing ABS & Hand Break Lights.

This do not happen always, mostly happens when I press on the Break Peddle very hard. This has happened when the car is moving, Stationery and truing wheel at one place.

Also if I stop the Engine when I get this problem and start the car the Problem is not there, and also if I Stop the car (Engine Running)the pull the hand break and lower again the Problem disappears.

Please let me know why this is happening, I checked with my brother in law and he said the flashing ABS light is the indication of that ABS is functional, the it is calculating pressure on breaks.

Do I need to check this up, I had not experienced thisbefore

11 answers to this question

Mine is a Suzuki Swift 2001, I fell on to a gaping hole few weeks ago, and experiencing the problem of flashing ABS & Hand Break Lights.

This do not happen always, mostly happens when I press on the Break Peddle very hard. This has happened when the car is moving, Stationery and truing wheel at one place.

Also if I stop the Engine when I get this problem and start the car the Problem is not there, and also if I Stop the car (Engine Running)the pull the hand break and lower again the Problem disappears.

Please let me know why this is happening, I checked with my brother in law and he said the flashing ABS light is the indication of that ABS is functional, the it is calculating pressure on breaks.

There is something called an "ABS sensor" on your front wheels. They usually fail with time. Your car being 9 years old its a high possibility. So when it fails it sends a signal which causes the ABS light to come on.

You can replace this or just drive around with it. Doesn't mean your ABS or brakes are not working.

Im afraid your brother-in-law is absolutely wrong, ABS light doesn't flash to indicate that it's functional.

Thought I'd post my problem here itself, hope the OP would excuse me.

My ABS indicator lit up while driving a few days ago. I didn't have any time to get it checked so I sent the car with a co-worker to get it checked today. The guys there had tested with a relay and a booster but haven't managed to get the problem solved and the indicator bulb is still lit. What could be the problem?

ABS breaks dosent work btw.. Cheers!

Edited by Killer-B

Why don't you check the ABS sensor connector of the wheel went into that gaping hole ? Chances are high that impact might've loosen the connection and it doesn't send the signals to the ABS 'computer'. If it doesn't get a signal from at least one wheel, it won't activate ABS.

My ABS indicator lit up while driving a few days ago. I didn't have any time to get it checked so I sent the car with a co-worker to get it checked today. The guys there had tested with a relay and a booster but haven't managed to get the problem solved and the indicator bulb is still lit. What could be the problem?

I thnk what both you guys have is an issue with the ABS sensor.

AMI0755 might have a connection issue and Killer-B, you proly need to replace the sensor.

Either way, your ABS wont work / work properly till you sort it out.

You can get it checked out if you plug in your car to a diagnostic computer, to see what the exact problem is.

Look for a split ABS ring in your both front CV joints ,if not then proceed to rear wheels .

Edited by AL998

If your car has permanent ABS light (not lighting up when brakes) I would start checking the sensors first .

Plug it in a diagnostic machine and look for codes. If you haven't got access to a diagnostic machine then you can try checking the resistance of the two terminals in all 4 sensors ,they should all be equal .But that will only tell you about the ABS sensors

If your car has permanent ABS light (not lighting up when brakes) I would start checking the sensors first .

Plug it in a diagnostic machine and look for codes. If you haven't got access to a diagnostic machine then you can try checking the resistance of the two terminals in all 4 sensors ,they should all be equal .But that will only tell you about the ABS sensors

Thanks for the replies people, now this thing is really getting on my nerves, plugged in the diagnostic machine the other day but it displayed no errors but the ABS indicator is still on. They said that they will have to take out the whole break system and check it. ABS indicator only comes on when I move the car a few feet, so does this mean that the sensors are faulty? if so wouldn't the scanner have picked it up?

Edited by Killer-B

Thanks for the replies people, now this thing is really getting on my nerves, plugged in the diagnostic machine the other day but it displayed no errors but the ABS indicator is still on. They said that they will have to take out the whole break system and check it. ABS indicator only comes on when I move the car a few feet, so does this mean that the sensors are faulty? if so wouldn't the scanner have picked it up?

If your car doesn't have a ABS light when stopped then its safe to say that all your sensors and connectors are fine .ABS control module measures the resistance of each sensor when the car stopped, if the values are within range then it assumes everything is fine .

but if the signal sender (normally an ABS ring on the CV joints or a magnetic ring attached to the bearing)gives a faulty or abnormal signal when vehicle moves then ABS light will come up .this can be due to several reasons

1.Split ABS ring

2.Steering angle sensor gone out of calibration

you can check the steering angle sensor reading with a diagnostic machine , then plug the machine and drive in a straight line. You should be getting equal speed values for all the wheels and steering angle sensor should be reading 0. This should give you a good starting point for your diagnosis .

hope this helps