• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lcd Tv Repaire Cost

hakjay

Guys on a slightly different note, has anybody noticed that the quality of electronic appliances being supplied to the Sri Lankan market has gone down even though the country of origin remains the same. The most notable change is the quality of the paper literature is printed on.

In the mid 1990 (or maybe even early 1990s) we stopped receiving the Made Japan goods and started getting stuff from Malaysia and the Philippines, though it wasn't easy to tell the difference. (There were obviously differences as we went through 3 TV boosters before we bought a Made in Japan Nippon in 1995 which still works! and the earlier one we got in 1981 still works as well though it was only VHF so retired). But recently on my way home I bought some stuff from the duty free for home, a Fridge, CRT TV, Rice Cooker and a Microwave, all from their official dealers, and when I went home and unpacked the goodies I was a little disappointing at how cheap the packaging and literature looked and wondered if the goods were the same even though they were still from Malaysia. The TV remote has already stopped working!

What do you guys think?

Guys on a slightly different note, has anybody noticed that the quality of electronic appliances being supplied to the Sri Lankan market has gone down even though the country of origin remains the same. The most notable change is the quality of the paper literature is printed on.

In the mid 1990 (or maybe even early 1990s) we stopped receiving the Made Japan goods and started getting stuff from Malaysia and the Philippines, though it wasn't easy to tell the difference. (There were obviously differences as we went through 3 TV boosters before we bought a Made in Japan Nippon in 1995 which still works! and the earlier one we got in 1981 still works as well though it was only VHF so retired). But recently on my way home I bought some stuff from the duty free for home, a Fridge, CRT TV, Rice Cooker and a Microwave, all from their official dealers, and when I went home and unpacked the goodies I was a little disappointing at how cheap the packaging and literature looked and wondered if the goods were the same even though they were still from Malaysia. The TV remote has already stopped working!

What do you guys think?

Its tough to generalize - it depends a lot on the brand. I've never had any issue. I've got 'made in Malaysia' stuff thats been working for a good 10 years.

But there is indeed a lot of stuff in the market that has been previously used , but is still sold as brand new. For instance demo devices- which may look new, but actually have an abnormally high amount on usage hours on them! (would also explain the shoddy packaging)

Its tough to generalize - it depends a lot on the brand. I've never had any issue. I've got 'made in Malaysia' stuff thats been working for a good 10 years.

But there is indeed a lot of stuff in the market that has been previously used , but is still sold as brand new. For instance demo devices- which may look new, but actually have an abnormally high amount on usage hours on them! (would also explain the shoddy packaging)

Hi Elvis,

No the stuff I got was brand new. The packaging was intact, but for example the literature was printed on very low quality paper, the packaging of the product did not seem as good quality as they once were. Like you say the made in Malaysia wasn't really as issue as we've been getting them since the 1990 (and quite a bit of the products sold in the UK is made in Malaysia and the Philippines). My question was whether we in SL got a slightly different version of "Made in Malaysia" compared to what we used to get before ...... As in have the relative quality of goods being sold in SL fallen ? Best example I have is the Panasonic rice cooker I got to replace a 20 year old National. Funny enough my Mom got the National fixed so we didn't use the new one, though the 20 year old National looked a lot better quality than the brand new Panasonic and I bought it from Softlogic so there is no question of authenticity.

Well I guess the saying 'they dont make 'em like they used to' applies :) In fairness to the makers- prices have reduced over time, with consumers upgrading more frequently as well. Anyway you never know from where stuff comes these days.. even when you purchase from some agents..

Well I guess the saying 'they dont make 'em like they used to' applies :) In fairness to the makers- prices have reduced over time, with consumers upgrading more frequently as well. Anyway you never know from where stuff comes these days.. even when you purchase from some agents..

Elvis_Pil,

I agree with your post for example I used Gold Star original Korean Washing machine for 12 years twice small repairs when finally motor gave away.

Then on advise by agents I went in for a new LG it lasted only for 5 years. It was made in Philippines.

Like Automobiles 50 years ago they were made to repair and use today all things are manufactured plug and play.

Relapse with a new one no repairs like good old days.

About Abans service They are not up to the stranded once they took for repairs two of my computer monitors and told me thy are not repairable.

Wanted me to buy 2 new monitors. As I live close to Sea they said I have to change two main boards it will cost for both Rs.13500/=.

I took them back and gave same to another TV Technician he repaired both for Rs.1500/= and both lasted for another (1)2 years and(2) 2 years 8 M.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

My LG 32" LCD went out of order due to lightning and ABANS quoted me 123000Rs for the repair and if i don't wish to repair they need me to pay 3000 Rs for the fault finding and remove the stuff. I just left the set with them since the brand new one was at that time only 99000 Rs.

I never go for LG again because of ABANS.

these type of devices are equipped with "switch mode" power supply units which are not like the old days step down mini transformers. These should be powered with a UPS, it's not just the high or low voltages but the quality of the power in SL is very poor (noises).

Therefore its always advisable to power your modern house hold electronics with a UPS (online UPS)

Can you believe the latest happening ?? The Abans service guys at Dehiwela say that they will try to get down the new part from Korea, and if they cant they will return the money I paid and close their files.

Which means..... I buy a LG's supposed to be state of the art Direct Drive washing machine in Nov 2009..and in 13 months I have to throw it away, as local agents can neither repair the machine nor can they get down a replacement part after pre payment although its one of the latest models.

Can anyone suggest a remedy for me ?

For me ..it seems like Good Bye LG..Good Bye Abans... for life

Get a refund of the money and take the washing machine to one of the places mentioned by people here.

I thought the direct drive motor had a 5 year warranty.

I now realise that Abans service department is running a bit of a scam, as they seem unable to repair anything which is impossible as they are the official agents. In 2001 we took an LG TV to them and it was the same story.

I think if you can spare the time (and it will help a lot of people) you should also write to LG in Korea and let them know how the official agent is treating their customers.

We have a Candy washing machine, and while Sherwoods is a much smaller joint, twice they have come, collected the machine, repaired it and returned it back. Obviously this cost money but I appreciated the convenience, and they are quite heavy machines.

I think on your evidence I'm not going to buy from Abans again as well. To be honest one of the reasons why I bought their goods is because the service centre is relatively close to where I live, but no more !

I work in UAE but I finally manged to get through to Abans on email and narrated all my bad experiences at their Service Centre. Their Director wrote to promise that the part would be got down and the machine fixed. I will keep this forum updated.

If it is not repaired I will certainly write to LG Korea and to the Consumer Protection Authority.

Incidentally, I too had a Candy Drier which I used for 10 years. Shermans repaired it twice during that period. They collected the machine repaired and returned. The Shermans people were very polite and helpful.

Members of the forum.

What I write is my experience for last five years. Normal TV sets was becoming expensive then TV Combo box appeared in the market. This unit has a facility to watch TV from a Computer monitor. When my Sony 21 inch TV gave away after 12 years twice it was attended with a cost of under Rs. 3000/= minor repairs by the agents I was very satisfied.

I thought to give a try to above said Combo box. It was at that time Rs 2750/=. I got a used CRT Monitor 21 inch for Rs 3500/= set of good Quality Creative Computer sound system for Rs 5000/=. Total cost was Rs 11250/=.

I live close to sea so monitor mother board gave away after 2 years then I bought another CRT monitor for Rs 2000/= as the cost of large monitors had come down. after about 2.5 years. I thought I will change to LCD monitor I manged to get a the used IBM WITH 2 YEARS Warranty largest CLD Monitor available with a dealer friend of mine for Rs 15500/=. It is little bigger than 21 inch CRT monitor this is now nearly 1.5 months old I am very satisfied with the Picture quality.

My last CRT monitor was fitted with a TV Mother board for Rs.5000/= by a repairer.Repairers only use the old picture tube and replace with a new TV Mother board which cost Rs.2500 in 1st cross Street Colombo job takes only few hours. After repairs I Presented to one of my worker. he still uses without any problem.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.