• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Remote Control Cars

Rae

When going shopping abroad,will give you a copy of the approval letter.Not all custom officers are aware that RC ban is relaxed....or maybe they just pretend...

I find Bi Planes bit hard to handle...for some its otherwise...depends on the type,engine and manufacturer.

Good Luck!

MINIACE

oh well...i though bi planes having more lift via two wings might be more stable at slower speeds...

slower speeds = smaller place to fly them about

at least that's what i thought...

have soft spot for older planes like the spitfire, p51's etc...but ti thought monoplanes might be a bit faster making them a bit tricky to control. especially for a novice

Thanks Peri for moving then OT to the appropriate thread.

Yeah most wanted stuff are under 5Kg.We made the rule considering that.Here I should mention the name of the gentleman who made this happen .Whole credit should go to Wg Cdr (RTD) Sunil Cabral-Deputy Director Civil Aviation Authority for fighting with authorities to get the total ban relaxed.

MINIACE

Can you buy Nitro-methanol fuel in SL or does that need to be imported? Wonder what kind of restrictions there are given the nature of the fuel and combustibility if it is to be shipped from overseas.

a think it's available here...little pricey from what i hear...

A guy in office has one buggy kinda thing and that bugger was telling me you can buy it here...from a Niroshan if my memory serves me right

• 2 months later...

Mate ,RC import regulations are relaxed by MoD letter MLO/MOD/02/03 dated 30 August 2010.

You can import RCs upto 5Kg without any restriction.Above that SLAF and CAA panel will have to approve considering the Specs,Power source and range.

Ring me..will help with any import and approvals.

MINIACE

My bro checkededed with kandy custom office today..they are still not aware of it I guess. Any how what are the places we can guy RC helicopters/Jeeps localy or any specific brands.

I'm gonna check one now 4 channel helicopter about 60cm long. Price is Rs.9950/=. Similar but little smaller ones are vailable in ebay for around same price.

Also.. is there any restriction in flying area? Is there any dedicated place or can we fly them in our backyard? Because I don't want some one to call 911 and tell he got spy next door.. :lol:

Edited by MkX

SLAF launches School for Remote Controlled Flying

http://www.airforce.lk/news.php?news=613

RC helicopters and other rc toys are available in toy shops in colombo and places like "cool planet" . Most I have seen are not branded ones but various chinese products. AFAIK you can fly them anywhere.

yeah...i got one of those mini rc copters...loads of fun but it's a bitch to control them...

I got this Teach-yourself-to-fly model last summer for around $80. It only weighs 38 grams, which means it doesn't have enough mass or momentum to break into peices even if it crashes. Plus let go of the throuttle and it will just glide to the ground. It's got a 2.4 GHz 3 channel radio and comes with everything you need to fly including the AA batteries.

http://www.hobbyzone...?ProdID=HBZ4900

post-284-011458400 1300968695_thumb.jpg

post-284-030546900 1300968700_thumb.jpg

Edited by madmax

The following categorization of aircraft, flying machines, flying devices where approving

authority for importation, operations and in certain cases to manufacture as stated below

was approved by the Secretary to the Ministry of Defence by letter reference

MLO/MOD/02/03 dated 30 August 2010.

Category D - Radio Controlled Model Aircraft and Devices

1. Light weight category

a ) Rubber Powered (Chuck) Model aircraft and devices,

b ) Radio controlled Model aircraft and devices of 1 Kg and below

Importation - No import restrictions

Operations – No restrictions, except this category shall not be operated

from any elevated position, such as elevated buildings, balconies, roof

top balconies, , roof tops etc.

Manufacturing - No restriction on manufacturing

2. Medium weight category

Model Planes above 1 Kg up to 5 Kg

Imports – No restriction

Operation:

a) Operator may propose preferred and suitable areas to fly such

devices in this weight category, for SLAF- CAA joint panel approval,

before commencing operations.

Manufacturing – No restriction

3. High Weight Category

Model Planes above 5 Kgs

Importation:

a) SLAF – CAA joint panel approval

a) Design specification, power source, range and any other details

required by the panel should be forwarded.

Civil Aviation Authority of Sri Lanka 3 of 3

Operations –

a) Operator shall propose preferred and suitable areas to fly such

devices in this weight category for SLAF- CAA panel approval before

commencing flying.

Manufacturing:

a) SLAF – CAA joint panel approval shall be obtained, panel may

obtain the assistance from senior and experienced operators/experts.

a) Design specification, power source, range and any other details

required by the panel shall be forwarded by the applicant.

Full letter

- http://www.caa.lk/newcaa/news/local/Letter%20to%20Industry%20on%20Sec.%20DEf.%20Approval.pdf

Edited by hyacc

yeah...i got one of those mini rc copters...loads of fun but it's a bitch to control them...

Even before MOd approvals I too got one of the cheapest ones (9$)without a gyro from ebay sometime ago. Very hard to fly but good for learning for the first time. Its blades got broken several times but managed to fly again after repairing with super glue. :)

I got this Teach-yourself-to-fly model last summer for around $80. It only weighs 38 grams, which means it doesn't have enough mass or momentum to break into peices even if it crashes. Plus let go of the throuttle and it will just glide to the ground. It's got a 2.4 GHz 3 channel radio and comes with everything you need to fly including the AA batteries.

http://www.hobbyzone...?ProdID=HBZ4900

Thinking of getting this, it`s about $130 excluding shipping over here though. :( How do you find it? I have zero experience with flying these stuff though. :) Any other alternatives you found or was this the most suitable option for a novice?

Cheers..

• 7 years later...