• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Remote Control Cars

Rae

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the situation is in bringing down rc cars into the country.

Is it possible to bring one down and get through customs or will they confiscate it?

Plan was to bringing my rc down during my holidays there but not too sure what the legality issues are so if someone could help me out with some info it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Its been discussed before.. run a search pls.

Ran a search before i created the topic mate, but only found stuff that dated back to 2006 so was wondering if things have changed or if customs are not too harsh on things like this.

From elakiri dot com:

Obtaining an Import License for a RC toy - 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM

I ordered a small RC helicopter from ebay and it was retained at the central mail exchange. They wanted me to bring an Import License to release the package. I'll briefly give the steps you need to follow in such a situation.

* For all RC toys you need TRC approval. You need to get this first before going to get the Import License.

1. Take photo copies of the letter sent from mail exchange (both sheets) & your NID & some document with the specification of the item (user manual, etc)

2. Goto TRC License division, fill the relevant application & submit with photocopies of relevant documents. They asked me to get the application signed by Mr. Rathnayake before submission, who examined the spec.

3. TRC license is issued within around 30 minutes. One letter to the Customs & one to the Controller of Imports & Exports. No fee is charged for this.

4. Take the TRC letter & another set of photocopies of the related documents & NID and goto Dept. of Imports & Exports in Hemas building in York street.

5. Goto Counter 4, get an application and submit with the other documents.

6. After wainting for about 1-2 hrs they will let you know how much needs to be paid. In my case I had to pay 1650/=.

7. Make the payment to the cashier and take a photo copy of the receipt and submit at the counter 4.

8. After another long wait you will get the Import License.

Hope some one will benifit from this information.

You have got to be kidding me!

That is the standard procedure to any RC or any other equipment to do with Radio signals. Also technically we can't bring any mobile phones, etc without TRC license. I faced similar situ when i got a Nokia mobile phone, but they release it with advise not to bring directly. Then again I know people bring so many phones and stuff these day via other channels.

Its always person who wants do it properly or small scale has to go through all the trouble and taxes. But big shots will always have the short cuts. :angry-smiley-048:

Edited by MkX

Jeeezzzz!!! that is not fair in a lande like no other :angry-smiley-024:

Seriously, what can some one do with a small RC chopper? (I mean planning an attack or some thing. Of course you can chop your fingers off with the blades!) Best way will be is to dismantle the aircraft and bring it in pieces and put it together once you get here. Bringing the radio inside the country will be the problem.

AFAIK, what they have problems with is the transmitter, not the receiver. So they won't fuss so much about the chopper, but they will fuss more about the controller. You might be able to put the board into a bigger model, and then control that, you see.

• 2 months later...

guys i think there are no such barriers for RC toys in SL anymore..last week in MC i found there is a shop which sells RC helicopters.am planning to buy one.anyways they are not banned anymore i guess.

Edited by Hiran690

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the situation is in bringing down rc cars into the country.

Is it possible to bring one down and get through customs or will they confiscate it?

Plan was to bringing my rc down during my holidays there but not too sure what the legality issues are so if someone could help me out with some info it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Few people I have known bring 2 or 3 units for their personnel use, when they back from Thailand. So, two or three units would not be creating any hassle. It was cheaper than SL. The Medium scale chopper ( 1/2 meter of length ) which operated by FM frequency, has cost only 900.00TBH ( 3500LKR)

In Sri Lanka, I saw a Advertisement the "Lum*la City" is selling cars...

Edited by anjulau78

I'm having a 3 channel RC helicopter with built in gyro

Does anyone of you know a place where i can buy spares for it

Try ebay because you can search for your specific model and there are many suppliers. I bought a small RC heli off ebay from hong kong one year ago and it was delivered to home by normal post.

Edited by hyacc

Try ebay because you can search for your specific model and there are many suppliers. I bought a small RC heli off ebay from hong kong one year ago and it was delivered to home by normal post.

Same here, but it broke in 2 days lol

there are some choppers for £50.00 GBP. i think they come from hong kong. one of my friends bought one of these and fist time he landed it bit too hard made the chopper to be in few pieces. Another fella told me that same type one, he has sent it for more than 100 yards (I don’t know how he calculated it) up and as soon as it away from the transmission coverage it was thrown away and couldn’t control. His one has landed on a gutter pipe.

i think better to go for a good one than cheap makes.

Ebay has many of these.

Pls try www.ebay.co.uk

there are some choppers for £50.00 GBP. i think they come from hong kong. one of my friends bought one of these and fist time he landed it bit too hard made the chopper to be in few pieces. Another fella told me that same type one, he has sent it for more than 100 yards (I don’t know how he calculated it) up and as soon as it away from the transmission coverage it was thrown away and couldn’t control. His one has landed on a gutter pipe.

i think better to go for a good one than cheap makes.

Ebay has many of these.

Pls try www.ebay.co.uk

yea if ur looking for something with decent range, durable and usable outdoors [withstand strong wind etc] you have to go professional, i.e. £120 + atleast...brands like thunder Tiger and E-Flite

few friends back at uni who had raptors, the learning curve is a bit steep IMO, former neighbour here owned a Thunder Tiger with a nitro or gasoline engine - many a saturday morning I was woken up by the sound of him yelling 'contact!' and the engine roaring into life!...no idea why he had to yell contact lol...never got around to asking how he got it into SL unfortunately, probably in kit form....

i suppose the VVIP's still don't feel safe enough to allow choppers over them as they move about in their convoys.

Or maybe it's yet another political blockade we are all too familiar with unfortunately.

OT

MiniAce

any idea about RC aircraft restrictions being relaxed?

have been shopping for toys my little fellow and saw quite a few RC helos...some of them were over 3ft in length and popular shopping malls.

If they are able to sell it without hindrance i'm guessing folks can fly them without an issue :P

Mate ,RC import regulations are relaxed by MoD letter MLO/MOD/02/03 dated 30 August 2010.

You can import RCs upto 5Kg without any restriction.Above that SLAF and CAA panel will have to approve considering the Specs,Power source and range.

Ring me..will help with any import and approvals.

MINIACE

Mate ,RC import regulations are relaxed by MoD letter MLO/MOD/02/03 dated 30 August 2010.

You can import RCs upto 5Kg without any restriction.Above that SLAF and CAA panel will have to approve considering the Specs,Power source and range.

Ring me..will help with any import and approvals.

MINIACE

WOOHOO...that's super news... :)

will call you later... :)

i've been eying a bi plane for quite a while now :)

WOOHOO...that's super news... :)

will call you later... :)

i've been eying a bi plane for quite a while now :)

When going shopping abroad,will give you a copy of the approval letter.Not all custom officers are aware that RC ban is relaxed....or maybe they just pretend...

I find Bi Planes bit hard to handle...for some its otherwise...depends on the type,engine and manufacturer.

Good Luck!

MINIACE