• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Leather Seat Restoration

rangerover

I went to this place to get an estimate on the work, to clean, fill cracks (I don't have any tears, yet!) and paint/dye, and he (Upul) quoted:

~25k for the 2 front seats (e.g. if I only wanted the rear seats cleaned), takes 6 days

~55k for all seats, takes 8 days

I'm just curious how the results of the dye kits (dynamixdyes.com etc.) compare to this cos they seem to be few hours worth of a job?

I doubt if they would artificially inflate the amount of time taken the work... or do they?

sifaan, asking out of curiosity, can they fill the cracks on the leather steering too? i mean a leather wrapped steering?

two contradicting opinions.. possibly due to the difference between natural/artifical leather?

(@Bugatti: I thought natural leather was used only on few ultra high end models - e.g. some audis - where they would use it in their marketing as "natural leather" seats)

I guess you have mistaken me for Madmax.. :D

Either way, I ordered the center arm rest cover for my E36, and I believe what I received was real leather.. at least it smells like.

I guess you have mistaken me for Madmax.. :D

Either way, I ordered the center arm rest cover for my E36, and I believe what I received was real leather.. at least it smells like.

give it to your pet doggie, if it tries to have a bite, it's a real leather :D

The leather on my BMW says montana leather. Is it natural leather or leatherette? And i do see a difference in the type of leather in the front and rear seats.

On BMW's the natural leather comes with premium package (Code :ZPP). The most common types used by BMW are Nappa and Dakota leather and then Alcantara on some sports models. To the untrained eye, leatherette looks pretty much the same.

I can show it to you before fixing it.. if you are in the area.

:D says someone who can distinguish real leather by smell. :P . Please do believe your instincts, go ahead and fix it.

very rarely you find real leather in car accessories, except for few exclusive brands, most of others are synthetic.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

Any idea where i can repair my cars leather seat(Toyota corolla DX wagon)? There's big tear in driver side seat and i need place where i can get it fix. Any idea how much will it cost? Hope author of this post nor mind i'm using tis post for my query :)

The place MAdmAx said is still there. Next to the Lions/Rotary Hall. I am planning on taking mine there for restoration and recoloring. The work starts from Rs. 40,000 the nice gentleman on the phone said to me... that is for a restoration for a average condition seats. Anything that needs a lot of attention will cost more.

BTW, how much did your freind pay to acquire the 740i?

Got the seats of a Cruiser 100 restored 6 months ago. The staff was friendly and accommodating and they charged around 50k for the job (2 rows of seats and the steering wheel). The initial finish was fine. But after 6 months and around 15,000km the front seats are showing cracks again and the paint on the front seats seem to have thinned out showing some patches from beneath. Put a cover around the wheel so the restoration has stayed intact. It might be because of the layer of Thinner based restoration done at Nawala about 2-3 years ago not being removed proper. That job had a bit of a shiny finish but it lasted just over 2 years.

I might consider fabric considering the heavy usage. There is the option going for new leather. I have seen very good finishes from both N@w@l@ and D3an$.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

I'm trying to restore parts of my interior, which after a decade+ under the sun had dried out and hardened.

I've been using Meguiar's Rich leather cleaner & conditioner on a weekly basis for about a month. While it cleans the leather fairly well, it doesn't seem to do much to revitalize the hardened areas.

With a little more research, I found a product called "Surflex leather Soffener". This apparently is a blend of oils with a water-like consistency, which should be applied by hand and left in the sun for some time. This supposedly absorbs into and rehydrates the leather to give it its supple texture back. Issue is, I couldn't find a vendor who'd ship to SL.

Before going for a reshipping option, wanted to know if anyone here came across this or a similar product available locally?

@ HC it was available at Arpico hyde park.I bought one about a month ago.

I might swing by today will update.

@ HC it was available at Arpico hyde park.I bought one about a month ago.

I might swing by today will update.

Thanks mate.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I decided to bring down a 16oz container of product called "leatherique rejuvenator oil". It is a blend of oils that sink into the leather through the pores and restores the moisture. You have to rub the oil into the leather and park the car in the sun for a day at least with the windows rolled up.

I tried it over the weekend and there is a noticeable difference in the texture of the leather where it was sun burnt to a crisp. The product requires several applications for "cardboard hard" leather to see the full results. I have enough left over for another application, so I'm going have another go tomorrow.

The product seems to do what it says it does so might be worth a look.

• 3 years later...

Hello Everyone,

One my friends are looking to change the color of his leather seats. any place which will use the dye and change the color? black to brown. most placed i called they do not change the color with dye.

Regards

Edited by pug306xsi
Typo