• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Rav4

TURBOMAN

Hello my dear friends,

After long time thought of telling something about Toyota RAV4

I went through the net and found out very good consumer reviews for RAV4 in other countries.

They have Commented on,

1. Performance 4. Fun-to-Drive: 7. Build Quality

2. Comfort 5. Interior Design: 8. Reliability

3. Fuel Economy: 6. Exterior Design:

And it has got very high ratings

But in Our country people are little scared to buy a RAV4.

What can be the reason?

1.2nd hand market

2.Spare parts

3.Fuel

4.Myths

Guys i greatly appreciate your opinions

AVE!

Last time I checked, the Rav4 had a pretty good market here with older models selling for far more than they are worth.

I think the same as well. In the same market segment I have noticed Rav4 to be expensive than Xtrail, CRV, HRV, Pajero IO models and over priced too. I guess people don't get Rav4 because they can't afford to buy them and run them due to the economy. I would say second hand market is pretty decent but not be like a fb15 or corolla.

I think the same as well. In the same market segment I have noticed Rav4 to be expensive than Xtrail, CRV, HRV, Pajero IO models and over priced too. I guess people don't get Rav4 because they can't afford to buy them and run them due to the economy. I would say second hand market is pretty decent but not be like a fb15 or corolla.

Yes,the for other vehicles 2nd hand market will not reach as high as corollas and FB15 in this era lol

I agree with you.But in addition to the little over valuation,dont you think the people are concerned about the cost of spare parts?

Yes,the for other vehicles 2nd hand market will not reach as high as corollas and FB15 in this era lol

I agree with you.But in addition to the little over valuation,dont you think the people are concerned about the cost of spare parts?

Rav4 has a decent market value here, most are available from 3mil but most people would prefer a 121 over the rav4, the popularity and the fuel consumption of 121's might play a part here. I have no personal experience but I don't think the spares would be much of a problem since it is a toyota after all.

Can you think of any SUV where people(no all, majority maybe) are not concerned about the cost of spares/fuel, etc...? Out of all, I`m pretty sure that RAV4 is having the least concerns in SL market. It is a 4WD so there are more things that can go wrong over a FWD car. Being a Toyota, being sold in millions all over the world, I dont think common spares are rare and super expensive anyway. :)

Got a friend of mine who has a 04 Rav 4 and he has never had any issues. As Mr.Cat told I dont't think finding spares for a Toyota will be hard.

Rav4 has a decent market value here, most are available from 3mil but most people would prefer a 121 over the rav4, the popularity and the fuel consumption of 121's might play a part here. I have no personal experience but I don't think the spares would be much of a problem since it is a toyota after all.

Wll JDNET/KILLERB

Thanx for your replies.The fuel consumption of the RAV4 is around 10km/l as i have heared.When it comes to 121 it does around 13-15km/l.

There is no much of a differance

But when comparing the two vehicles ,dont you think its nice to have a SUV than a ordinary sedan?

Anyway what do you think of those RAV4's of 2mil range(1997-2000)

Dont you think its worth buying?

Plese somebody tell us about how is the maintainance cost of RAVs and what are the common problems it has got?

What things we should look for when we gonna buy RAV4?

And what are your opinions on the rough market value that "should be"

Personally, I think your figures are quite wrong, but lets assume they are accurate

Thanx for your replies.The fuel consumption of the RAV4 is around 10km/l as i have heared.When it comes to 121 it does around 13-15km/l.

There is no much of a differance

10kmpl = 10 litres to travel 100km = Rs.1150 to travel 100km assuming 90 oct

13kmpl = 7.69 litres to travel 100km = Rs.884 to travel 100km assuming 90 oct

15kmpl = 6.66 litres to travel 100km = Rs.766 to travel 100km assuming 90 oct

If I were to use these numbers I'd save Rs.150 per day on my commute using a 15kmpl car vs a 10kmpl SUV. Count 20 working days and thats Rs.3000 saved a month. Just on fuel. Also count larger tire size which means more expensive tires, etc, etc. Worse if you have to use 95oct, I dunno if either vehicle needs that.

There is a difference. Of course, if you can afford it, your call. In my case it costs me 1900 to go 100kms, so its a saving :D

Personally, I think your figures are quite wrong, but lets assume they are accurate

10kmpl = 10 litres to travel 100km = Rs.1150 to travel 100km assuming 90 oct

13kmpl = 7.69 litres to travel 100km = Rs.884 to travel 100km assuming 90 oct

15kmpl = 6.66 litres to travel 100km = Rs.766 to travel 100km assuming 90 oct

If I were to use these numbers I'd save Rs.150 per day on my commute using a 15kmpl car vs a 10kmpl SUV.

Thanx Peri,

Actually according to your calculation you should be able to save ,

1150-766 = RS 384/day

and for 20 days

384*20 = 7680/month

Yes that counts a lot

The thing is if your covering that much of distance in each day,better to think of a car like Vitz/Maruti

Second thing is your assumptions are applicable in good quality roads.But for a person whoes using badly damaged(most of the roads in SL)roads,cannot compromise the safety of vehicle thinking of the fuel consumption.(FEEL A SEDAN IN A MUDDY SLIPPERY,BADLY DAMAGED ROAD IN HILL COUNTRY)

Thirdly,RAV4s are available around 2mil range and much cheaper than 121s.

RAV4s is very very comfortable in good quality roads too

If you wanna go on a family trip or something(which im doing frequently) RAVs offer you much room,comfort,and maneuverability(with 4WD) in any terrain.(otherwise u have to Hire a big vehicle)

So considering all,i think ill go for a RAV other than 121,cos its an all rounder.

The fuel consumption values are not my personal opinions and i got it frm

http://www.edmunds.com/index.html

Your welcome to see that nice web site

AVE

Edited by TURBOMAN

1150-766 = RS 384/day

and for 20 days

384*20 = 7680/month

Yes that counts a lot

The thing is if your covering that much of distance in each day,better to think of a car like Vitz/Maruti

I think Peri's daily commute is 40km, not 100km :)

according to my research you never can go wrong with a RAV4. best SUV that money can buy. wish they import those V6 version thats sold in US. prettymuch faster than any SUV out there.

dont think this is true.

for starters a stock X5 should be able to easily outrun a V6 rav4!

best SUV that money can buy????
on what grounds???

resale value? offroad performance? fuel efficiency?

The fuel consumption values are not my personal opinions and i got it frm

http://www.edmunds.com/index.html

Your welcome to see that nice web site

AVE

Fuel consumption figures in Edmunds are for a mixture of highway and none highway driving. Plus the figures are for US sepc cars. Most of the time they have bigger engines. Guess what i'm saying is those figures are not applicable to SL.

For some reason i have never been able to achieve the figures they quote. I find them to be some what exaggerated. I mainly use those figures to compare between cars as to what does better on fuel than the others.

Fuel consumption figures in Edmunds are for a mixture of highway and none highway driving. Plus the figures are for US sepc cars. Most of the time they have bigger engines. Guess what i'm saying is those figures are not applicable to SL.

For some reason i have never been able to achieve the figures they quote. I find them to be some what exaggerated. I mainly use those figures to compare between cars as to what does better on fuel than the others.

Yes that may be true,

But i specifically looked for RAV4s with same engines in SL.

Is there any other site we can get at least a rough idea about fuel consumption?

dont think this is true.

for starters a stock X5 should be able to easily outrun a V6 rav4!

on what grounds???

resale value? offroad performance? fuel efficiency?

when is said any suv out there im talking about in comparison to similar class/size/price range. but have you ever driven a X5? probably not! i had a 2002 4.4l X5. its a heavy SUV and its not as fast as you think. RAV4 is like a car and has a good size engine on it.

Edited by blkr6

I never can either. I guess it's cause we can never drive the way they do over here, cause our roads are so small and look like they've been hit by artillery... :P

Edited by Big_D

Ha ha Then its ok.

I thought he miscalculated. :violent-smiley-099:

I'm offended. And its closer to 50.

Second thing is your assumptions are applicable in good quality roads.But for a person whoes using badly damaged(most of the roads in SL)roads,cannot compromise the safety of vehicle thinking of the fuel consumption.(FEEL A SEDAN IN A MUDDY SLIPPERY,BADLY DAMAGED ROAD IN HILL COUNTRY)

I didn't make any assumptions at all, except to take YOUR figures as accurate. Which I stated. And as someone who grew up driving 4x4 SUVs, pickups, and a B11 Station Wagon in the hill country, and by that I don't mean around Kandy city, I mean in the estates in Matale, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura, I can safely tell you most roads that side aren't worse than the roads encountered on an average drive around Colombo.

Also, people in those areas use diesel vehicles. I very much doubt you'll find anyone who travels on bad roads using a Rav4.

1150-766 = RS 384/day

and for 20 days

384*20 = 7680/month

Yes that counts a lot

A what? Are you insane? What would I do with an undersized toy papadam piece? I'd get backaches before I got to the top of my lane being cramped in that freaking thing!

I'm not the least bit bothered about what edmunds has to say. Its a waste of my time. This whole thing is a waste of my time. I just pointed out that there is a large difference in running costs between a 10kmpl SUV and a 15kmpl car.

I like driving too much to buy car based on fuel economy. And to sit in weekday office rush traffic. I prefer to use the shuttle to get to work and keep my wheels for weekends.

Also, I don't really find SUVs to be more comfortable than a car on good roads. They tend to sway and jiggle around too much. And if you want a trip vehicle an older diesel vehicle like a Trooper or Land Cruiser would do a helluva lot better than a Rav4. Ravs have 4wd for tackling slippery conditions like icy roads, not for proper jungle trips.

But by all means, do buy a Rav4. Do it coz you want to, don't feel the need to justify against other options. You buy based on your needs. I only pointed out one inaccuracy in your fuel figures statement, I didn't say don't buy an SUV. I also said, if you can afford it, go for it.

• 5 years later...

Well it's great to see lot of comments on this. But this is old thread but I would like to put my comments here if someone needs it.

I have the 2WD version of the RAV4. My daily commute is around 25Kms per day. I am travelling in highly congested areas in Colombo and I am getting around 8Km/L. Compared to other cars; be it 121  I don't think you can get 13Km/L-15Km/L in Colombo heavy traffic.

About the car it self it's a nice car. And it's very fun to drive. When I go in southern highway I normally get around 13Km/L-14.5Km/L. About spare-parts they are bit expensive. But unless it's a very old RAV4 you don't get repairs very often. It's a quality build car.

One quick advice if you are  travelling 100Km a day for entire month RAV4 won't be a good idea. Switching to a fuel economical vehicle make sense.

Edited by tmnuwan12