• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Visibilty @ Night Rainy Driving

Uditha88

i'm not sure whether this is a good method or not,but i use washing powder in the windscreen washer and it works for me all the time.

Only issue is depending on the type of powder used, if it is not properly dissolved (and most of that stuff does not fully dissolve except with very hot water) it will over time clog up the washer system. Hence why liquids are used. Best thing is to dissolve it in hot water first and then pour it in to the container once cooled.

Shouldn't the windscreen washer liquid be able to deal with oil?

It would be if our vehicles had large squeegees instead of slim strips of rubber composite material as wipers :D A regular wiper blade is useless when it comes to the layer of oily film Velocity mentioned. Unless you use something way more corrosive, in which case you stand to damage your washer plumbing and/or motor. KR42 mentions he mixes in washing powder into the wiper fluid bottle, I wouldn't recommend this either since that stuff is more removing particulates rather than dissolving.

how so...? some others have recommended it on AL for interior plastics:

rangerover -

vvti -

If using it consistently and not switching brands, it works fine but the problem come when you stop using it or use another formula. The armour all is actually well known to create cracks in the leather and vinyl. It's relatively new to the market here but the effects are know pretty well in the U.S. Just try doing a search on it. Anyone in the U.S. who is into detailing would know it.

If using it consistently and not switching brands, it works fine but the problem come when you stop using it or use another formula. The armour all is actually well known to create cracks in the leather and vinyl. It's relatively new to the market here but the effects are know pretty well in the U.S. Just try doing a search on it. Anyone in the U.S. who is into detailing would know it.

asked the google oracle and it's a nightmare to sort out the results - plenty of people who say it cracks leather / vinyl as well as people who swear by it. Plus that the formula used to have problems but now they have fixed it.

KR42 mentions he mixes in washing powder into the wiper fluid bottle, I wouldn't recommend this either since that stuff is more removing particulates rather than dissolving.

also googled about this and there are many people who advise not to use products not designed for cars, as other stuff (and aslo low quality made-for-car-stuff :P ) may accumulate gunk in the washer bottle, clog the washer pipes/jets, damage the rubber in the pipes/blades, accelerate corrosion (salt) and other ills that will only be noticed after long usage. (if it didn't clean well, or foamed too much, you would notice immediately and could take corrective action)

but there are also people who say they've used such-and-such fluid for years and not had any issues.

What about windex? Its a glass cleaning blue colour liquid used on regular windows etc. It's a bit strong so I used to mix it with a little bit of water and used it through my washer system. Worked as a cheap solution for me.

I hope you aren't still using windex. It's an ammonia based cleaner and will eat through your clear coat.

I hope you aren't still using windex. It's an ammonia based cleaner and will eat through your clear coat.

Ya have heard it from some others too. Since then I used plain water for a while to flush the injectors but I sold my R33 so it's all good now. I ride now and use windex on my helmet visors once in a while. I don't think it will affect the visor as it is clear plastic and has no tint on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this while on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Repel-Premium-Bracketless-Wiper/dp/B003V4WU2I/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&Model=Sentra|899&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Nissan|67&Year=1997|1997&carId=001

Different sizes available of course. Maybe some of our US based brethren can try this out and give some reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Repel-Premium-Bracketless-Wiper/dp/B003V4WU2I/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&Model=Sentra|899&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Nissan|67&Year=1997|1997&carId=001

Different sizes available of course. Maybe some of our US based brethren can try this out and give some reviews?

If someone is getting RainX blades plz count me in as well... I'm using RainX solution and it comes very handy these days specially...

I've seen some cars having the wipers away from the windscreen (vertical and angled forward) when parked in the sun... does this do anything to increase the life of the blades or does it just muck up the arms?

edit: or is it to prevent muck collecting on the blades which could scratch the screen?

Hey..., If anybody know where to buy RainX spray in SL.. Please let us know.. :)

Edited by kmeeg

Toying with the idea of getting wipers from US; but wonder if they will fit OK (i.e. can they be hooked from left and right) given the LHD / RHD difference?

(assuming that these blades have a "right side up" orientation)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I had the same issue. Driving at night and rainy days was like a bad dream, I was driving like a blind person with a huge risk sometimes. 

I was about to replace my windscreen. Suddenly found this place near Moratuwa. Took my car at night and he did a small part of the windscreen. Result was amazing. 

Next day I took my car and spend nearly 4-5 hours. All wiper scratches gone. But small chip marks are there which no one can remove. And they applied a Nano coating to protect the glass from Rain (like RainX). Trust me, he did a great job. 

The cost is 5k for the whole glass (it depend on the nature of scratches and size of the glass). 

If you want to contact him, please PM me to get his contact details. 

Cheers !

Irosh