• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Forced Induction F.A.Q.

BLu3HaZe

As there is no centralized place nor a separate sub forum in AL regarding forced induction in SL, thought it'd be a good idea to list some info and previous discussions for the ease of anyone looking at the possibility of converting a Naturally Aspirated engine to a Forced Aspiration engine. Please help this thread with any other ideas and thoughts regarding this. :) Hope it's of some use to new members too.

These are some threads I could find about turbocharging an engine or the like :

http://www.autolanka...98-turbo-hondas

http://www.autolanka...turbo-on-a-d15b

http://www.autolanka...o-a-carb-engine

http://www.autolanka...urbo-conversion

http://www.autolanka...urbo-conversion

These are two links external to AL (mods approval?) that gives lots of info :

http://www.thezcr.co...read.php?t=9999

http://www.thezcr.co...read.php?t=9993

[That site was chosen due to it being much faster with less ads]

As a Honda fan, here's a good write up for an EG Civic :) Be patient as there are many pictures, so takes time to load.

http://honda-tech.co...d.php?t=1263795

As I believe the most common Honda engine is possibly the D15B, and it replaced the older ZC cuz it was more powerful at 130hp, here is the sort of power with a turbo and a totally stock engine. But lets not assume everyone to be so lucky tongue.gif

300whpclub.jpg

As for a list of parts I can think of, you'd probably need :

Obviously a Turbocharger

Turbo Exhaust manifold

Turbo Downpipe

Wastegate (for turbo's without an internal one or for higher pressure)

Intercooler

Piping

Clamps

Oil lines/hoses

Bigger fuel injectors

Blow off valve (better if you do have)

New fuel pump

ECU remap

Air Intake (fixed to the turbo but not ending too close)

MAF/MAP sensor

Maybe a stock O2 sensor would work, but a wideband O2 sensor is always more accurate.

And a some more things if you need to be more on the safe side. I may have missed out some parts but hopefully others will add to this. So anybody liking some turbo challenge will get some idea regarding the necessary parts, and contact the necessary people to get the job all done. I'm not yet aware of many people doing even simple things as DIY here so it'd be kinda crazy to try this alone. :D

As for superchargers and nitrous oxide (NOS), it's better with the experts explaining :)

PS - Pinning this somewhere may be helpful, rather than going down in the list and lost

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i think you also gotta put stronger pistons and piston rings to withstand the higher compression ratio and the larger combustion in the cylinder.

Thnks BLu3HaZe for the info..those are very helpful facts...well virensti im not an expert :) but AFAIK stock pistons and rings can withstand pretty good pressure (Eg 15psi)unless you install a hard core after market turbo (eg 32psi) etc+ almost any engine head can withstand an increase of 50HP with out any issue.

also a "stock" turbo can increase the power of the engine in about 30%.

pls anyone make me correct if im worng..

Cheers,

Archon

Thnks BLu3HaZe for the info..those are very helpful facts...well virensti im not an expert :) but AFAIK stock pistons and rings can withstand pretty good pressure (Eg 15psi)unless you install a hard core after market turbo (eg 32psi) etc+ almost any engine head can withstand an increase of 50HP with out any issue.

I don't know anything about FI, but isn't 15psi also quite hardcore? For stock internals I mean.

• Like 1

Thnks BLu3HaZe for the info..those are very helpful facts :)

You're welcome Archon! :)

I don't know anything about FI, but isn't 15psi also quite hardcore? For stock internals I mean.

Somewhat high, yes. That's more than 1atm so twice the designed pressure, but it depends on the manufacturer, model of the engine and how good condition the pistons are, age etc. Can but not always, example your engine will hold up even more but an Accent will probably blow up :)

You should consider oil returns and stuff as well isn`t it? Running an oil line to the turbo and returning to the sump?

Yes you should :) 8th item in the 1st post

As almost everyone seems concerned with fuel economy these days instead of power, turbocharging a NA car would be out I guess except for a small project we're working on, so maybe this could also be extended as a turbo maintenance guide for diesels and petrols equipped with factory turbo's?

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Also have we forgotten to mention about superchargers!? :D well, as i have been heard, they are pretty easy to install. Advantages are real time boost with the RPM... no turbo lag (specially at low RPM range) most prominent disadvantage is that they cant give a higher boost compared to turbo chargers. main difference between both of them is that turbo chargers use exhaust gas to spin.... where superchargers use a belt and a pulley.

Does anyone know places in SL who undertake turbo and supercharger installations on NA engines?

cheers, :alc:

Archon

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm a new member for this site & I just finished registration. I also love this topic so much. Currently I'm rebuilding a Mitsubishi TD-04 & a Toyota CT-26. I'm planning to start turbocharging my stock G11B engine(Lancer Box), just after finishing rebuild job. I'll let you know if it goes well. Thnx.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Depending on the engine you will need to lower the compression ratio. Either by fitting aftermarket forged pistons (stronger ones as people are referring to) or by fitting what is known as a de-comp gasket. This is a copper or aluminium copy of the head gasket and acts as an extension to the cylinder head and will reduce the compression ratio, meaning you can run more boost. But this is only good for about 14psi MAX.

You will also need to increase the fuelling and retard the ignition timing for when on boost

in regards to fuel economy as long as you are driving off boost it will be pretty good, supercharging on the other hand you do not get as good fuel economy as you are always running boost.

Supercharging does generate lots of torque though, which is why American drag cars are nearly always supercharged. The most common supercharger that is cheaply available is the Eaton from a bmw mini as lots of minis were upgraded to the "works" spec from brand new so there are lots of used ones in Europe ready for sale and import to lanka. These units are good for up to about a 2.2L engine.

There is lots to consider when converting an engine from NA to forced induction though so do your research before spending any money and do NOT buy cheap parts especially cheap actuators and boost controllers as the failure can cause the instant death of an engine.

Theres also more parts required than whats on that list.......but all depends what engine your doing the conversion to.

also you need a lot more than an "ecu remap"

I have yet to come across a stock ecu that from a NA car that can be remapped for a turbo properly... the map sensor on a na car reads negative pressure....it wont read positive pressure like it needs to for either a turbo or supercharged conversion. this MUST be sorted or you will have no real idea how much fuel is required to not run the engine lean as just the ecu wont manage by just taking throttle position readings because as the boost pressure builds the more fuel is required to stop pre detenation.

an fully mappable aftermarket ecu is required the cheapest being something like megasquirt and it MUST be mapped by someone who knows what they are doing or you will have a hole in a piston within a few mins.

if your engine is not efi so has a carb then a turbo conversion is possible using the carb but it must be modified correctly to make it a "blow through" carb. you will still need to find a way to retard your ignition timing for when on boost.

if anyone is doing a turbo conversion and is a bit stuck, send me an email ive done and worked on a fair few

• 1 year later...

guys i am really sorry for pulling out this thread,but i have some questions on this topic ,

1.can some body plz explain me what is really meant by "boost".

2.i have seen that some cars run 1.0 bar boost/2.0 bar boost , what does this really mean?

Members plz help :)

guys i am really sorry for pulling out this thread,but i have some questions on this topic ,

1.can some body plz explain me what is really meant by "boost".

2.i have seen that some cars run 1.0 bar boost/2.0 bar boost , what does this really mean?

Members plz help :)

Boost is the additional pressure generated by a Turbocharger or a Supercharger. Meaning air is compressed and fed to the engine for a more efficient combustion process. A Turbo does this by utilising the car's exhaust gasses to turn a turbine (hence the name turbo) which in turn runs a compressor which compresses air and feeds to the engine at a higher pressure. Pressure which is measured by psi (Pounds per square Inch) or bar. A Supercharger does the same thing but uses a belt running on the crankshaft to run the compressor instead of the exhaust gasses.

Hope this helps :)

also you need a lot more than an "ecu remap"

I have yet to come across a stock ecu that from a NA car that can be remapped for a turbo properly... the map sensor on a na car reads negative pressure....it wont read positive pressure like it needs to for either a turbo or supercharged conversion. this MUST be sorted or you will have no real idea how much fuel is required to not run the engine lean as just the ecu wont manage by just taking throttle position readings because as the boost pressure builds the more fuel is required to stop pre detenation.

an fully mappable aftermarket ecu is required the cheapest being something like megasquirt and it MUST be mapped by someone who knows what they are doing or you will have a hole in a piston within a few mins.

if your engine is not efi so has a carb then a turbo conversion is possible using the carb but it must be modified correctly to make it a "blow through" carb. you will still need to find a way to retard your ignition timing for when on boost.

if anyone is doing a turbo conversion and is a bit stuck, send me an email ive done and worked on a fair few

I'm no expert on forced induction so a question, If someone doesn't want to run astronomical boost pressures and risk a blown engine, wouldn't a Supercharger be a good call? With all that extra plumbing heating up the entire engine bay and an endless list of support mods to make a Turbo set up run as it should, a Turbo to me looks like a lot of extra things to go wrong.

Boost is the additional pressure generated by a Turbocharger or a Supercharger. Meaning air is compressed and fed to the engine for a more efficient combustion process. A Turbo does this by utilising the car's exhaust gasses to turn a turbine (hence the name turbo) which in turn runs a compressor which compresses air and feeds to the engine at a higher pressure. Pressure which is measured by psi (Pounds per square Inch) or bar. A Supercharger does the same thing but uses a belt running on the crankshaft to run the compressor instead of the exhaust gasses.

Hope this helps :)

thanx bro for the info :) , i must also mention that our fellow member "octanehead"also helped a lot on this topic :)

• 4 weeks later...
guys whts the minimum engine capacity u could supercharge??

dingy,

You have opened up a new thread for your question. I have replied for that, there are plenty of experienced members have replied to this thread.

I think member fonfe has plenty of experience in the supercharger and forced induction systems, according to his posts.

It is better to get advice from him if you want to do any supercharging of a engine.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.