• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Red / White Lights Next To License Plate?

Sifaan

Question

Recently I have seen 2 suzuki vehicles, with 1 red and 1 white light on either side of the rear license plate (together with full complement of parking, turning and brake lights at the two sides)

it's certainly not brake lights (was driving behind and noticed they didn't come on when the brake lights did), so is it one extra reverse light + one extra parking??

(there are other cars with 2 bulbs on either side of plate, e.g. new Premio, but they are the same color (Red))

11 answers to this question

Recently I have seen 2 suzuki vehicles, with 1 red and 1 white light on either side of the rear license plate (together with full complement of parking, turning and brake lights at the two sides)

it's certainly not brake lights (was driving behind and noticed they didn't come on when the brake lights did), so is it one extra reverse light + one extra parking??

(there are other cars with 2 bulbs on either side of plate, e.g. new Premio, but they are the same color (Red))

Sifaan,

Even I was wondering about same mate, cuz seen a few 80' Mitsubishi Colt's (especially Hatchback's) with same red/white additional lighting.

Edited by EVO_Croozer

I Think you must have seen the Suzuki Liana/Aerio. I have also seen this rear light arrangement in these cars. It doesn't do too much good to the overall look of the vehicle does it ? :lol:

But in some models of Liana you get only the white color lights besides the Number plate and they are reverse lights. But not sure about the red + white arrangement. Most probably the white is an extra reverse light but not sure about the red one.

Generally a single red light would be a fog light. This would differ between export markets as not all countries require cars to have rear fog lights.

For example, most JDM cars imported to the UK have to have a rear fog light fitted aftermarket as UK regulations require this, but Japan doesn't.

i have seen these in some Subaru Impreza's as well.. but no idea what it is..

action-smiley-060.gif

Generally a single red light would be a fog light. This would differ between export markets as not all countries require cars to have rear fog lights.

For example, most JDM cars imported to the UK have to have a rear fog light fitted aftermarket as UK regulations require this, but Japan doesn't.

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Yes the third light mentioned was a fog light.

I have seen this feature in most of the Volvos in SL and in lot of the cars in US.

In some makes and models, this rear fog lights get turned on when you switch on the fog lamps and in some vehicles with auto mode (where head lights are turned on and off by sensing the lighting condition and visibility through some sensors) it may come up based on the conditions.

Sifaan,

Even I was wondering about same mate, cuz seen a few 80' Mitsubishi Colt's (especially Hatchback's) with same red/white additional lighting.

Guys, here are some examples (on the white car the light combination is Amber/White):

27629606.gif

al2.gif

Edited by EVO_Croozer

The rear fog lamp on the left is a UK requirement, most car manufacturers use one of the reverse indicators for this. Older cars have an extra red light fitted on the left. I've noticed the Peugeot 306 in SL has it in the middle of the bumper, and the last incarnation of the Maruti ZEN comes with optional rear fogs on the bumpers.

The rear fog lamp on the left is a UK requirement, most car manufacturers use one of the reverse indicators for this. Older cars have an extra red light fitted on the left. I've noticed the Peugeot 306 in SL has it in the middle of the bumper, and the last incarnation of the Maruti ZEN comes with optional rear fogs on the bumpers.

On further research, my car seems to have P21/4W bulbs for the rear parking lights (instead of the more regular P21W) because of this.

("seems to have" because the book says so, not sure what's actually in the car!)

edit: bulb type descriptions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lamp_types

Edited by Sifaan