• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Terry Practhett Fans?

Sifaan

haven't read TP, but I am a Douglas Adams fan... ;)

then you will appreciate why I call my car Marvin (not to be confused with the [in]famous politician of similar name) :D

the humour style is similar, although TP does take more potshots at various aspects of human behaviour/culture (e.g. parodies of movie industry, newspapers, telegraph, organized religion, rock music, etc.)... if you decide to try him out, start with a later book, the first 7 or so discworld books are more fantasy and less humour.

then you will appreciate why I call my car Marvin (not to be confused with the [in]famous politician of similar name) :D

the humour style is similar, although TP does take more potshots at various aspects of human behaviour/culture (e.g. parodies of movie industry, newspapers, telegraph, organized religion, rock music, etc.)... if you decide to try him out, start with a later book, the first 7 or so discworld books are more fantasy and less humour.

Ha ha ha! Finally, someone who knows who marvin is!!!

I dream of a day I can try out a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster!!!

The ever popular Baldacci, Stieg Larsson the less known Cody McFadyen?

Hmmmm... I would love to get hold my hands on them too.

HHGTTG was a pleasant accident a few years ago and its one book that I will take to my grave. Never a dull page.

World is a sadder place since DA died.. :(

Anyone read Zaphod Plays it safe?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Hilarious!

About his life as a Salvage pilot and how they are inspecting an indestructible Space Ship that crashed in the bottom of the ocean becasue the pilot wanted to taste some famed lobsters.

Its found at the end of the HHGTTG Omnibus, 2 hundfred pages but your body aches after laughing so hard.

The ever popular Baldacci, Stieg Larsson the less known Cody McFadyen?

Have read some Baldacci.... Absolute power, Last Man Standing and If i recall right, The Collectors.

Have been meaning to read the Millennium trilogy for awhile but not got around to it yet... Heard it's bloody good though.

Indeed.. I got Salmon of Doubt and it's got some funny bits but doesn't connect since it's an incomplete book

About his life as a Salvage pilot and how they are inspecting an indestructible Space Ship that crashed in the bottom of the ocean becasue the pilot wanted to taste some famed lobsters.

Its found at the end of the HHGTTG Omnibus, 2 hundfred pages but your body aches after laughing so hard.

yeah, I have it at the end of the 4-in-1 book (published before Mostly Harmless, tagged as "the 5th in the increasingly inaccurately named hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy trilogy")

but all told I think I rather prefer the 2 dirk gently books

I'll take my Blake 7 for retro si-fi :)

Hmmmm... I would love to get hold my hands on them too.

HHGTTG was a pleasant accident a few years ago and its one book that I will take to my grave. Never a dull page.

Yup its pretty good. The subject matter and writing is a bit rough at times, as its a translation. Word of advice- Don't watch the movie- it hardly does justice to the intricacies of the book. It's very difficult to pin point which is the best of the three. I like the Fire one, specially since that was the first one I read and there was a challenge is putting stuff together.

Have read some Baldacci.... Absolute power, Last Man Standing and If i recall right, The Collectors.

Have been meaning to read the Millennium trilogy for awhile but not got around to it yet... Heard it's bloody good though.

Edited by Elvis_Pil

I'll take my Blake 7 for retro si-fi :)

you can't really compare Blake 7 and such to DA... DA just happens to be comedy in a sci-fi-ish setting; (there isn't any attempt to make you think that the technology could actually happen (e.g. like ACC, Azimov, etc)) just like TP happens to be comedy in a fantasy setting (and no point comparing him to Tolkien either).

For Comedy in a more terranean settings I can recommend Tom Sharpe and Ben Elton (Ben has a fair share of sci-fi too, but more recent books are getting more thought-provoking and less funny). Anybody who watches these innumerable something-star programs on TV should definitely get a reality check by reading Chart Throb