• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Drive Auto Gear Car For The Gud Fuel Consumption

saja

Question

hello Mr Expert

could u tell me how to drive a auto gear car for the gud fuel consumption.i used a same one but petrol consumption is 8 - 9 km in city limit.is it a gud rate?

:violent-smiley-099::violent-smiley-030:

Well, the top gear is the most economical gear, so try to cruise as much as you can in that gear. To get to that speed you can either take off slowly, keeping the revs under 2k. Or you can accelerate hard and quickly get to top gear and maintain that speed, jabbing at the throttle now and then to keep on rolling. I have a tiptronic and it appears that driving in manual mode is a bit more economical. Which is funny, cause I generally shift over 2k.

Oh yeah, if you have a overdrive function, you should switch it on, so the gearbox can switch to top gear.

[quote name='saja' date='Sep 12 2010, 10:00 PM' post='133443'

hello Mr Expert

could u tell me how to drive a auto gear car for the gud fuel consumption.i used a same one but petrol consumption is 8 - 9 km in city limit.is it a gud rate?

I heard this over the radio.. They mentioned 'the tip to lesser fuel consumption on an autogear transmission is to always shift to neutral wen stopped at red lights and on high traffic'

hello Mr Expert

In addition to the tips already given, I'd like to point out that 8-9 KM/l in the city is pretty good fuel consumption for an Automatic.... What is the make/model of the car?

I heard this over the radio.. They mentioned 'the tip to lesser fuel consumption on an autogear transmission is to always shift to neutral wen stopped at red lights and on high traffic'

In an autobox, you don't need to shift to N when driving on the highway, cause as you lift your foot off the throttle, the engine revs descend to idling speed anyway. And red lights stay on a maximum of maybe a minute, so dropping the gear into N isn't really gonna help unless you're stuck in a really big jam. Just leave it in D and drive.

In an autobox, you don't need to shift to N when driving on the highway, cause as you lift your foot off the throttle, the engine revs descend to idling speed anyway. And red lights stay on a maximum of maybe a minute, so dropping the gear into N isn't really gonna help unless you're stuck in a really big jam. Just leave it in D and drive.

Are you sure about the driving on a highway bit? I always though shifting in to N took advantage of the built up momentum whereas leaving it in D and taking the foot off was not as effective since the engine breaking effect.

• Like 1

Members,

I remember Vehicles had the free wheel gear box system when the driver takes off the foot from gas peddle the Vehicle will free wheel. Gears too can be engaged without disengaging the clutch. There was some fuel saving on those vehicles. But that system was not suitable for hill country due to driver has to come down hill on brakes.

Those vehicles had a system that free wheeling can be stooped by pulling a liver or Electrically operated switch so that the vehicle has to be driven like normal driving. The motorists who used those vehicle told me they get about 5 to 8 miles for a gallon of petrol in early days.

I do not know this option is available on modern Vehicles.

This is some thing like the cycle when you peddle cycle will get the force to move forward when you stop peddling cycle will move for the force created early.Most of our domestic automatic washing machines have this on the drum bearing.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Are you sure about the driving on a highway bit? I always though shifting in to N took advantage of the built up momentum whereas leaving it in D and taking the foot off was not as effective since the engine breaking effect.

dunno about all that, but the manual for my car (which has an tiptronic system, but it's basically an autobox with a manual override on the gear change logic) very specifically says not to shift the car into N while it is moving, and if by accident it is shifted to N, to never ever shift back to D until the car is at a standstill as transmission damage might occur. I'm not sure what kind of damage, or how, but I would rather not muck up my tranny for whatever speculative incremental fuel economy benefits of shifting to N while the car is moving.

on the earlier car (March K11) I did notice that the car vibrated much less at standstill (e.g. lights) if the gear was in N rather than D, but whether that was how it should be, or a fault in that particular car, I don't know. It was more comfortable to keep the car in N, but I don't know if it had any particular impact on fuel economy one way or another.

• Like 1

I have a toyota corolla and it has a 3 speed automatic gearbox and doesn't even have a "OD" button and still it does 8.5km/l, which kinda sucks in big time for a 1500CC. Anyone has any idea whether i could change the gearbox or drive more economically? coz 1 - 2 it revs upto 2800rpm

WHY U ALL BOTHERING ABOUT THIS FUEL CONSUMPTION ITS A MUST AND ITS NOT A BIG IISUE WHILE U ARE DRIVING IF U WANT SOOO U COULD HAVE BUY A THREE WHEELER OR A MOTOR CYCLE WHATS THIS NONSENSE WHILE U ARE DRIVING UR OWN VEHICLE TRY TO HAVE A PLEASURE AND DRIVE WELL DRIVING BRINGS UP A GREAT PLEASURE.

WHY U ALL BOTHERING ABOUT THIS FUEL CONSUMPTION ITS A MUST AND ITS NOT A BIG IISUE WHILE U ARE DRIVING IF U WANT SOOO U COULD HAVE BUY A THREE WHEELER OR A MOTOR CYCLE WHATS THIS NONSENSE WHILE U ARE DRIVING UR OWN VEHICLE TRY TO HAVE A PLEASURE AND DRIVE WELL DRIVING BRINGS UP A GREAT PLEASURE.

and perhaps u can do all of us pleasure by pressing the CAPSLOCK in ur key board next time when u reply :rolleyes:

It doesn't really 'idle' when the car is moving and in gear but the revs do come down. At least mine does.

Besides it's not a really good idea anyway. Shifting to N while driving will cause your car to move faster and you lose a certain amount of control.

Hi,

The best way is to keep the RPM below 2000.

Actually no. Keeping the revs low is only a general rule of thumb. If you try to keep it under 2k when accelerating you're gonna spend more time in lower gears, which burns more fuel than the higher gears anyway.

I read somewhere that accelerating quickly to reach high gears sooner burns less fuel or something to that effect. Besides it's more fun anyway.

• Like 2

Please dnt do this if you forget to keep ur foot on break. Once (someone but not me) forgot to keep preasure on the break padal while talking and hit the behind car at Dematagoda overhead bridge..:action-smiley-060:

Actually no. Keeping the revs low is only a general rule of thumb. If you try to keep it under 2k when accelerating you're gonna spend more time in lower gears, which burns more fuel than the higher gears anyway.

I read somewhere that accelerating quickly to reach high gears sooner burns less fuel or something to that effect. Besides it's more fun anyway.

Hi Big D

Actually what I meant was, you cannot save fuel with A/T vehicles if you drive in a hurry. If you managed to get high gears and if you could maintain the RPM below 2K, definitely you can save your fuel. I'm telling this Coz I'm experiencing with my vehicle (Nissan Homy E-24 Diesel with A/T) and it gives 9-10 Kmpl in city with A/C. as per my experience, i can maintain a speed of 75-80 Km/h with 2K RPM.

I think to get your vehicle in to high gears in short period of time is comes with your experience. you can use the accelerator pedal to shift gears easily. The fuel saving is highly depends on the way you are Driving. No Matter the vehicle is A/T or M/T.

BR

Kasun

My 2 cents- squeezing 10+km per litre out of your car in the city is urban legend. Of course to elaborate on this:

The fuel consumption figure you get is the distance traveled divided by the kilometers you have covered so....we all want to travel the farthest while using the least amount of pertol.

In most cars, automatic or manual, the best way imo to drive sensibly is to find you car's optimum shift point- say 2500rpm (find the manufacturer recommended optimum shift point for you engine) and just shift at that point. An automatic will generally shift at the optimum rpm if you push the gas pedal reasonably since the ecu does the work for you.

Another thing is to try and minimize the use of your brakes. I know that sounds redundant but you have to understand that when accelerating, you are burning fuel to gain kinetic energy and by using the brakes, you are just turning that kinetic energy into heat and sound. So point being...if you want to get maximum miles to the gallon, do not accelerate hard when you judge that you will be braking soon, since all the work done by your engine will be wasted.

Also, in the city, when stopped at a traffic light, you are gaining 0 kilometers but fuel keeps burning and the engine runs. Stopping the engine on long traffic jams is alright imo but its just too much of a nuisance to stop and start every time you are stationary. As long as the engine is warmed up and oil has coated the pistons, stopping and starting your engine wont do much damage.

Bottom line, when I drive in the city, I try not to worry about petrol consumption since I know every trip I go on is going to give me a different figure- all based on the traffic I will encounter, and I'd rather not think of my fuel consumption figure at every red light. And on out station trips, just enjoy the drive since if your car can make you smile, what else is there?

When any of us need to know what the hell you think about our choice in automobiles; be it 2, 3 or 4 wheel; we'll just give you a holler. Till then crawl back in to the cesspool you seem to dragged your self out of.

The comments on this thread didn't advocate hypermiling or fuel conservation;not that either is bad mind you; we just contributed to the OPs query.

When any of us need to know what the hell you think about our choice in automobiles; be it 2, 3 or 4 wheel; we'll just give you a holler. Till then crawl back in to the cesspool you seem to dragged your self out of.

The comments on this thread didn't advocate hypermiling or fuel conservation;not that either is bad mind you; we just contributed to the OPs query.

Ok this is a bit harsh. Nothing wrong with him sharing his opinion as well. He just shouldn't have used all caps- bad forum etiquette. That being said, I hardly think that someone who chooses 'driving' his car over it's petrol consumption figure is living in a "cesspool". It's just another person's opinion like we are all sharing here. Let's keep it civil.

@ N@visport, yes it is harsh. I'm happy you can tell the difference. I intended it to be harsh; Why? Off the top of my head;

1. He has bad netiquette.

2. He is self opinionated and righteous

3. He barges in to a topic; that whilst may not interest everybody certainly interested the OP, and proclaimed his views to the forum without the intention of helping the guy. refer 2 above

The cesspool comment had nothing to with the fact that he preferred 'driving' his car. You seem to have misunderstood. It’s a derogatory reference which is expected to convey my disgust at his attitude towards the forum. And by the way he is not special. Of all places, AL is probably where you would find this attribute the most. If I recall, this may be the first time I contributes to a fuel consumption thread and that too because I wanted to clarify on the subject.

You too are not special. Search the forum and you'd find a million knights defend the trodden. If he has an issue with me. let him say it. Get off your stool, your initial comment whilst not be original in any sense, was acceptable since it was made at least relevant.

And FYA, 10kmpl is not an urban legend. You need to get out more..

My 2 cents- squeezing 10+km per litre out of your car in the city is urban legend. Of course to elaborate on this:

The fuel consumption figure you get is the distance traveled divided by the kilometers you have covered so....we all want to travel the farthest while using the least amount of pertol.

In most cars, automatic or manual, the best way imo to drive sensibly is to find you car's optimum shift point- say 2500rpm (find the manufacturer recommended optimum shift point for you engine) and just shift at that point. An automatic will generally shift at the optimum rpm if you push the gas pedal reasonably since the ecu does the work for you.

Another thing is to try and minimize the use of your brakes. I know that sounds redundant but you have to understand that when accelerating, you are burning fuel to gain kinetic energy and by using the brakes, you are just turning that kinetic energy into heat and sound. So point being...if you want to get maximum miles to the gallon, do not accelerate hard when you judge that you will be braking soon, since all the work done by your engine will be wasted.

Also, in the city, when stopped at a traffic light, you are gaining 0 kilometers but fuel keeps burning and the engine runs. Stopping the engine on long traffic jams is alright imo but its just too much of a nuisance to stop and start every time you are stationary. As long as the engine is warmed up and oil has coated the pistons, stopping and starting your engine wont do much damage.

Bottom line, when I drive in the city, I try not to worry about petrol consumption since I know every trip I go on is going to give me a different figure- all based on the traffic I will encounter, and I'd rather not think of my fuel consumption figure at every red light. And on out station trips, just enjoy the drive since if your car can make you smile, what else is there?

I disagree with you there buddy, I think many people, including myself, actually do get more than 10 per liter using the very advice you have written about. In fact some cars achieve it without even trying and I'm surprised to even read a comment like that when it is followed by sound info.

@Rebel I'm sorry mate but you are in the same boat...

1. He has bad netiquette.

2. He is self opinionated and righteous

3. He barges in to a topic; that whilst may not interest everybody certainly interested the OP, and proclaimed his views to the forum without the intention of helping the guy. refer 2 above

Your three points can be pinned to your comments as well if you think about it. Calling people derogatory names on a forum and then typing a reply to justify your statement- whilst it shows you can articulate, does not make you right. Please do not start a flame war here since your last two posts have not contributed anything either to this topic- you are just flaming someone, and I will stand up for anyone I want kthanks :)

Sorry for going off topic there-

@ShintaroX- You are right bro, I should have thought better about that statement. I guess I have been driving too long with an older 2L engine :D. Newer cars of course may have a more consistent efficiency figure because of the technology coupled with their engines like variable valve timing etc. But my point is that to gain maximum miles you simple have to try and cover as much distance as possible while maintaining the greatest velocity.

I'm curious though, what car do you drive and is your daily commute one that passes through Galle Road during rush hour?

Edited by N@visport

It is mostly the simple theories that matter. What you need to get is the maximum outcome out of the force that is generated in the engine. Plus you need to prevent the losses too. Say if you drive along a busy road where the car stops and moves quite frequently, don't press too hard on throttle till you reach the front vehicle and brake at once. It wastes much more fuel as well as your brake pads. Plus it gains nothing for you since ultimately your average speed depends on that of the other vehicles moving ahead with you. So gently give an initial short acceleration and let the car reach the front vehicle with foot off throttle and brake gently. Once the road is fairly clearer, just take a bit rapid acceleration to get on to a good speed (at least above 40) and then leave a gentle pressure on throttle just to maintain the speed at your desired level. Accelerating slowly with revs under 2krpm is controversial since you waste everything on low gears for a long period of time. That is the secret behind my speedy Honda doing >13km/l along heaviest roads in Colombo during heaviest traffic hours of the day.

@ N@visport. You need to read my first comment before commenting on my contribution to the topic. The only reason there were two wasted posts was because of an annoying comment and an equally annoying defense to said comment. Anyways I really don't need to waste time on you and I'm sure you feel the same way about me, so I'll just quit now.