• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

24v To 12v Convertion

3000cc

Question

Dear All,

Need few clarifications.....

1.planning to fix a CD player to my Bj43.....

Where can I get 24V to 12 V converter......(Pet#o price is high.)

Do i have to fix 2 or 3 if Im fixing SUB....

2.Is there any other way we can do it?

3.If I fix a 24V cassette Speakers can I on with 24V current?

4.Or can I use one Battery & get a 12V line & finish my headache..... is it ok with the vehical..... :violent-smiley-099:

Dear All,

4.Or can I use one Battery & get a 12V line & finish my headache..... is it ok with the vehical..... :violent-smiley-099:

1- u dont need one... just get a line from just one of the batteries. Solves any and all converter issues :)

2- yes, above.

3-i dont know if there are such things as '24 volt' speakers.. generally speakers are independent from the voltage as they are connected to the player and not the battery

4- yes!

:)

Dear All,

3000cc,

Your Vehicle is 24Volts DC system you can fix a 12 Volts Dc CD player cheapest is Take the center Tap (That means The two Batteries join) one wire and connect to the CD player.

Then you can get 12 Volts Dc (+) Positive line to your CD player. Negative (-) is already earth in your Vehicle so you will be able to use your CD player 12 Volts DC from one battery in your Vehicle without any problem.

Cassette Speakers are controlled from your CD player that will not have any connection for 24 Volts as you are using 12 Volts Dc from center tap of the battery.

I have done this system for 24 Volts Dc Vehicles for years.

If you want a DC24V to DC12V step down then you have to use a Electronic Converter with Thyristor controlled with the correct draw of Current Amps which can be measured with a Ampere meter connected to your CD player on 12 Volts DC out side with out fitting to your Vehicle and get accordingly.

Wijesinghe

Dear All,

1..u can search it in the 1st cross street colombo port ..there is a building called "atula building..it has lot of elctronic stuffs for reasonable price"

for the subs... depend on the amper requirement and the WATTS.

but it's more than good to go for a separate 12v battery if u are to build a high end subs with powerful amp(s)

2. what u mean by other way?

3..ur question is not clear. friend..

Tnx mate..... I was wondering will there be any charging issues if I use only one battery?

Charging issues to what. The batteries will be charged the normal way. Charging the battery has nothing to do with the CD set up unless you are going to use a high power amp etc..

normally my wiring system carries 24v frm two batteries. If I take 12v frm only one battery there will be higher current taken from one than other.will that be a issue?

I don't think it will be an issue. However you could get the 12 v connection from both batteries (parallel)!!! :rolleyes:

Cant machang coz those batteries has been used to get 24v current.there for as far as I know you cant use it for 12v current....

frankly I donot see any issues. If you are concerned then the best is to use a convertor (DC to DC} with a high current capacity. If it was my car, I will tap it of one battery.

It is not simple as everyone suggests ,

If you wish to switch it off manually every time you switch off the engine , then get a (+) from the bridged terminals as sylvi said ( + terminal of the battery which feeds the - to the body) . then you can get a negative from any part of the body.

If you use the other battery (+) terminal then you will have to get the - from that battery as well . So you have to be careful which battery to use

Or use a converter with 24V

If you want stereo to switch off when the ignition switches off then you will have to get 3 separate wirings

VCC : From ignition switch

(+) : (+) terminal of the battery which does not feed (-) to the body .

(-) : From one of the bridged terminals

You will have to use 2 converters if you want stereo to switch off when the ignition switches off

But before connecting any thing check the voltages with a multimeter to make sure ,otherwise you might fry your stereo .

Edited by AL998

Cant machang coz those batteries has been used to get 24v current.there for as far as I know you cant use it for 12v current....

if ur using 2*12v batteries parallel(sorry it should be serial) it's not wise to separately take 2 terminations from one battery. the best solution is to buy a 24 to 12v converter..btw u can build your own converter if u know little about electronics or else will cost less than 500 rupees if u can hire a good electronic technician.

Edited by lokulamaya

if ur using 2*12v batteries parallel it's not wise to separately take 2 terminations from one battery. the best solution is to buy a 24 to 12v converter..btw u can build your own converter if u know little about electronics..will cost less than 500 rupees if u can hire a good electronic technician.

2 12v batteires in parallel cannot give you 24v :P... And the battries in your jeep would be connected in series.. DONT EVEN TRY getting a paralle line out of them... you'll shot circuit and ruin a good battery.No offence, machang but you're advice/recomendations havent been the 'best' lately...

We have had a 12v connection (the + line splits at the + terminal of the SECOND battery; meaning the connection between the 2 batteries) and have had a radio connected to it as well as a regular 12v power outlet, with no issues on our 24v 4DR5.

Not saying a converter is bad, just saying that its redundent...

Edited by Dilesh

2 12v batteires in parallel cannot give you 24v :P... And the battries in your jeep would be connected in series.. DONT EVEN TRY getting a paralle line out of them... you'll shot circuit and ruin a good battery.No offence, machang but you're advice/recomendations havent been the 'best' lately...

We have had a 12v connection (the + line splits at the + terminal of the SECOND battery; meaning the connection between the 2 batteries) and have had a radio connected to it as well as a regular 12v power outlet, with no issues on our 24v 4DR5.

Not saying a converter is bad, just saying that its redundent...

spot on mate....need to appolagize it's not parallel..should be serial.(what the hell i was thinking about.. :) )thanks mate.... :rolleyes:

any how my friend 3000cc ..if ur requirement is to attach a cd player to ur system and get the output through the speakers without going for funky subs and all ...then the converter will be fine..cause then the output u will be getting may be 10 -15 watts(not P.M.P.O just the r.m.s)..so if u put it in to this simple formula p =vi , where p is equal to watt that is lets say 15 watts ,then voltage is 12volts , so the ampeer value will be i=p/v , hence 15/12 will be 1.25 ampeers... obviously if ur system is not a high end one this is the ampeer value ur system will getting from the battery.... so when u are going to buy a 24to 12v converter make sure ur converter is capable of handling more than 1 ampeers..(by assuming ur system output is 15w)

hope u will find a good converter.........

Edited by lokulamaya

I get four large 1.5 Battery operated (DC 6V) vaccum cleaner. Can I use my car 12V battery power supply with some alternator to user it. if it is where can I buy that kind of device and how much woulb be the cost?

dc 6v vaccum cleaner...mmm first time heard about it..well coming to the alternator..well alternator is just another device which use to genarate an AC signal(by using a bride u could convert it in to a dc signal.)so basically in a vehical we use it to charge the battery(when the engine is running)..but u can not use an alternator with a vaccum cleaner unless u have some method to rotate the alternator...but for ur requirement it's wise to fix a 6v motorbike battery and charge it when u want it..otherwise fixing a 12v battery and a converter will not be a effective solution..or else by using a transformer and convert the 230ACV to about 3ACV and by using a bride u could also get a value around 6DCV.. but it's bit complicated u see..

i got another idea..why dont u simply buy 4 rechargeable energizer battries(will cost around 200 rupees..not sure.)

and buy a simple charger(u could buy it on the pavement) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by lokulamaya

dc 6v vaccum cleaner...mmm first time heard about it..well coming to the alternator..well alternator is just another device which use to genarate an AC signal(by using a bride u could convert it in to a dc signal.)so basically in a vehical we use it to charge the battery(when the engine is running)..but u can not use an alternator with a vaccum cleaner unless u have some method to rotate the alternator...but for ur requirement it's wise to fix a 6v motorbike battery and charge it when u want it..otherwise fixing a 12v battery and a converter will not be a effective solution..or else by using a transformer and convert the 230ACV to about 3ACV and by using a bride u could also get a value around 6DCV.. but it's bit complicated u see..

i got another idea..why dont u simply buy 4 rechargeable energizer battries(will cost around 200 rupees..not sure.)

is recharble battery can handle heavyduty power consuption? If the rechargeble battery has to be replaced after few charging cycles, then it is useless. but your thought has made some other ideas. how about this, use a 6V dry rechargable battery which is normally using in emergency lamps with small 230AC/7.5DC charger to charge the battery? then the battery and the charging unit can be install inside my vaccum cleaner at the battery housing....

I have a floor polisher. I dont want to use the CEB electricity because they are very expensive... Can i run this on 1.5 volt batteries as well? :rolleyes:

is recharble battery can handle heavyduty power consuption? If the rechargeble battery has to be replaced after few charging cycles, then it is useless. but your thought has made some other ideas. how about this, use a 6V dry rechargable battery which is normally using in emergency lamps with small 230AC/7.5DC charger to charge the battery? then the battery and the charging unit can be install inside my vaccum cleaner at the battery housing....

as the vacuum cleaner originally ran on batteries (regular or alkaline) then rechargeable (NiMH) sould be able to handle that load.

But unless you are using the vacuum cleaner very often you would be better off with regular/alkaline disposable batteries.

also NiMH don't hold charge for very long, so you may find yourself recharging before every use. Sanyo eneloops can hold charge for a long time, but they are even more expensive and I haven't seen them for sale here.

If you wish to switch it off manually every time you switch off the engine , then get a (+) from the bridged terminals as sylvi said ( + terminal of the battery which feeds the - to the body) . then you can get a negative from any part of the body.

If you use the other battery (+) terminal then you will have to get the - from that battery as well . So you have to be careful which battery to use

If you want stereo to switch off when the ignition switches off then you will have to get 3 separate wirings

You will have to use 2 converters if you want stereo to switch off when the ignition switches off

But before connecting any thing check the voltages with a multimeter to make sure ,otherwise you might fry your stereo .

I think there's another way to get the stereo to switch off with the ignition while still using one battery(12v) to run the stereo

say...you couple up your ACC from the ignition to a 24v relay. It should be a relay that keeps the circuit open when not powered up and and close its when powered.

the switching side of the relay can be used to draw power from one battery.

So when you turn the key into ACC..the relay will activate the switch that will get the power from one battery(12v)...once you turn the key off the relay will cut off power to the stereo...

I think that should work.. and it's pretty easy to do to.....

is recharble battery can handle heavyduty power consuption? If the rechargeble battery has to be replaced after few charging cycles, then it is useless. but your thought has made some other ideas. how about this, use a 6V dry rechargable battery which is normally using in emergency lamps with small 230AC/7.5DC charger to charge the battery? then the battery and the charging unit can be install inside my vacuum cleaner at the battery housing....

well as far as i know most most emergency lamps(not cheap ones) got a good cycle life and self discharge rate..so definitely their batteries should be of high quality..and another alternative option you could use is UPS batteries(sealed type)..u could buy a sealed type battery with higher AH(ampeer hour) for reasonable price..check at the atula building as i mentioned to 3000cc..

i think it will definitely suit ur requirement...

well as far as i know most most emergency lamps(not cheap ones) got a good cycle life and self discharge rate..so definitely their batteries should be of high quality..and another alternative option you could use is UPS batteries(sealed type)..u could buy a sealed type battery with higher AH(ampeer hour) for reasonable price..check at the atula building as i mentioned to 3000cc..

i think it will definitely suit ur requirement...

Thanks BigBoy for your information. even though as I am Indian Bike Owner... :P

If Im taking only from one battery I think It's better to change the batteries ones in 2 months? is it?

If Im taking only from one battery I think It's better to change the batteries ones in 2 months? is it?

Sorry that my response were not very good. But having time to think about it, the best bet is a good quality convertor.