• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Sensors

MkX

Guys need some help with TPS in D15B Vi engine. My check light came and it is due to TPS low voltage. But it get corrects automatically after some time. This happened couple of times before too. When this happened initially Agents instructed to chagne my battery immediatly and tune up. And I did so and it solved the problem. But when this came again the option was to change the entire throttle body and TPS they don't fix seperatly. But issue doesn't last for long period one day or two maximum.

I Read about this and noticed the TPS can fail due to bad idle or vise versa. I din't do any tune up for last 6 months except for regular service and start feeling little bit of low idle RPM and rough idle. So I wanted to do a tune up.. but before that TPS error came again.

Need help with few things. Do we need to do regular tune up every 3, 4 months even if we don't feel any thing wrong with the car. There are TPS available in ebay and looks like its a DIY job to remove and fix it. But agents says it is not recommended as the TPS angle need to be 100% accurate, etc. Comments/Suggestions please.

Need help with few things. Do we need to do regular tune up every 3, 4 months even if we don't feel any thing wrong with the car.

Hi Mkx

Actualy no need to do tuneup for such closer period, tuneup might last for 1 year or more than that depending on the car condition usage and regular maintenence.

There are TPS available in ebay and looks like its a DIY job to remove and fix it. But agents says it is not recommended as the TPS angle need to be 100% accurate

if the agent refuse it you will not be able to get it done from them they might refuse the job since you bought it from ebay :)

and might say this is wrong part etc etc... they need to buy the stuff from them

make sure before you buy them from ebay that is the correct part and a good mechanic will be able to sort this issue without agent,if you buy and give tps, i am sure

thanks

regards

sumith

Guys need some help with TPS in D15B Vi engine. My check light came and it is due to TPS low voltage. But it get corrects automatically after some time. This happened couple of times before too. When this happened initially Agents instructed to chagne my battery immediatly and tune up. And I did so and it solved the problem. But when this came again the option was to change the entire throttle body and TPS they don't fix seperatly. But issue doesn't last for long period one day or two maximum.

I Read about this and noticed the TPS can fail due to bad idle or vise versa. I din't do any tune up for last 6 months except for regular service and start feeling little bit of low idle RPM and rough idle. So I wanted to do a tune up.. but before that TPS error came again.

Need help with few things. Do we need to do regular tune up every 3, 4 months even if we don't feel any thing wrong with the car. There are TPS available in ebay and looks like its a DIY job to remove and fix it. But agents says it is not recommended as the TPS angle need to be 100% accurate, etc. Comments/Suggestions please.

Ask the Agent to get you a used/2nd hand sencor. They may do it. Also some of the mechanics will get you a good deal.

Ask the Agent to get you a used/2nd hand sencor. They may do it. Also some of the mechanics will get you a good deal.

What I get to know is that TPS does't come as a seperate part from Honda as they do not recommend to change sensor only but throttle body it self.

Since this error come once in a while I don't wanna go for 2nd hand untrusted replacement of entire T.body. The TPS at ebay cost around Rs.3.5K - 4K including shipping.. So any body who has changed TPS only or has experience with after market TPS at ebay?

Also what is the price of Brand new and 2nd hand thorttle bodies?

Dont replace the TPS..

The TPS is probably giving a wrong reading due to you're intake system being clogged up- as no 'tune-up' has been done. This is a common issue..

Do this- get a good mechanic to remove the TB and clean it. with this try and get the 3m intake cleaning system done. Also clean the AF sensor as well. Thereafter if you still have the problem- only then, look at changing the TPS.

If the TPS is on the TB the car is probably an automatic right? or a Singapore car. If you need to change the TPS- there is an easier way actually...

Dont replace the TPS..

The TPS is probably giving a wrong reading due to you're intake system being clogged up- as no 'tune-up' has been done. This is a common issue..

Do this- get a good mechanic to remove the TB and clean it. with this try and get the 3m intake cleaning system done. Also clean the AF sensor as well. Thereafter if you still have the problem- only then, look at changing the TPS.

If the TPS is on the TB the car is probably an automatic right? or a Singapore car. If you need to change the TPS- there is an easier way actually...

This is 96 JDM version - Ferio (with navi system) and it's Manual. TPS is positioned straight opposit side of where throttle is fixed (if not mistaken). There is another sensor on top of the TB closer to throtle (AF may be).

Last time 3M tune up did solve the problem .. And yes I was thinking of doing it as idle RPM start to drop around 400 - 600. Issue came for couple of times for last 6,7 months. But it automatically rectified. And error was TPS low voltage.

Also I observed it happened in cold mornings if I travel in 5th gear with low RPM (1500 - 1800) where engine is not heated up enough. When ever I maintained RPM around 2000 and travel till ECONO mode on .. issue never came.

So I was wondering if TPS causing the problem with low idle and error came once in a while (even after tune up) .. or is it not tuning up for last 6 months caused the TPS error. :rolleyes:

Edited by MkX

Well you're problem is a typical one.. the idle problem is also related to the same thing! do the physical clean up and the 3M treatment and you'll be ok. At the same time get the injectors removed and cleaned and change you're engine oil. and you'll be good for the next 6-8 months.

If the econo light is not coming that means v-tec is not functioning properly- which is another reason for the 'check engine' light to come on.

If the econo light is not coming that means v-tec is not functioning properly- which is another reason for the 'check engine' light to come on.

Yes. But normaly VTEC functions without a problem.

Actuly when ever TPS error comes the ECON mode (mild cam profile with 12 valve .. right) not functioning. What I am thinking is since default TPS position indicates throttle closed (engine idle). During the error even throttle is open, its low voltage .. that means engine keep on working on 16 valve as a regular engine, so the ECON mode will not open. But what about 5200 - 5500 VTEC zone? If voltage suppsed increases with the throttle and TPS gives low voltage means no wild cam profile too? :rolleyes: .. that makes inlet gas rich with more petrol like in the morning... ?????

Dude, TPS has a sensor angle... and in the PGM test and in 2009+ Software Version (Which the agent uses now..) has the option to recognize the sensor angle. Jus contact Dinanjaya @ Staffords and ask him to check on the sensor angle. As because your story tells that ur car is giving a engine stalling action when u travel at low RPM .. this can be due to incorrect TPS sensor angle or IAC valve carbon clogging... jus ask them to clear the IAC tunnel and valve and also check on the TPS Sensor Angle...

Dude. Worry about the trouble at hand first :)

Yes. But normaly VTEC functions without a problem.

Actuly when ever TPS error comes the ECON mode (mild cam profile with 12 valve .. right) not functioning. What I am thinking is since default TPS position indicates throttle closed (engine idle). During the error even throttle is open, its low voltage .. that means engine keep on working on 16 valve as a regular engine, so the ECON mode will not open. But what about 5200 - 5500 VTEC zone? If voltage suppsed increases with the throttle and TPS gives low voltage means no wild cam profile too? :rolleyes: .. that makes inlet gas rich with more petrol like in the morning... ?????

Edited by Elvis_Pil

as Elvis_Pil suggests cleaning the Tb and other sensors is the first thing to do .

But is you want to do a DIY check on TPS follow this

3wire.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is from a EDM civic but should be the same in JDM as well

And also You can check the resistance between terminal 1 & 2 by taking off the plug(engine switched off) .Resistance should vary according to the throttle angle

if the TPS faulty then you an change TPS without the whole TB ,it is attached to TB by rivet type screws .You can remove them using a small punch or a sharp screw driver with a light hammer .They are screws not rivets ,probably that's why agents say it cannot be installed separately.

Hi guys.. today morning I just noticed check light gone off. So took it for test drive ECON light came up as it supposed to be. Any how i'll be taking it to the tune up as it's not done for about 5,6 months.

Edited by MkX

• 3 months later...

Thought to keep you guys posted on what happened. After issue sorted automatically I took the car to garage and tested. After checking the previous records and milage, the guy suggested not to do tune up since specific issue with TPS. Asked me to monitor status for few more days and see. About 2 weeks back issue came again, but no CEL, just sudden loss or power/rpm. This time changed only the TPS. And issue seems to be rectified.

What I learnt is, when when TPS does not give the correct voltage, the ECU reduce the petrol thinking the trottle is in idle position, resulting loss of power at high RPM.

Thought to keep you guys posted on what happened. After issue sorted automatically I took the car to garage and tested. After checking the previous records and milage, the guy suggested not to do tune up since specific issue with TPS. Asked me to monitor status for few more days and see. About 2 weeks back issue came again, but no CEL, just sudden loss or power/rpm. This time changed only the TPS. And issue seems to be rectified.

What I learnt is, when when TPS does not give the correct voltage, the ECU reduce the petrol thinking the trottle is in idle position, resulting loss of power at high RPM.

For how much did you get the TPS? And where?

For how much did you get the TPS? And where?

It replaced with a used TPS. Actually they din't charge me any thing for that, not even 3,4hrs labour cost for removing throtle body. Place is the Honda garage at Peradeniya. Next to sunlanka.

Hi Guy’s

I have a Honda Fit (GD1) and yesterday the engine light came up and car stalled but managed to come back after starting again. When I checked with a reputed workshop they scanned and found the problem to be the Crank Sensor. This workshop has a recondition sensor.

Want to know whether it’s ok to go ahead (I was told that I will get a 3 months guarantee as well) the total cost would be about 6k. Pls advice if anyone has experience on this.

Bope

Ohh, nice :)

So did it take hours to replace the tps?? Or was it an easy job? Just asking, coz u said they din't charge anything :)

Total thing took more than 3hrs, because removed TB, cleaned, fixed test run, removed again change the TPS test run, removed ECU, tested with another ECU, fixed the orginal ECU again, test run, scan done couple of times. Didn't cost me a single cent. But I used to go there for every thing. :rolleyes:

Hi Guy’s

I have a Honda Fit (GD1) and yesterday the engine light came up and car stalled but managed to come back after starting again. When I checked with a reputed workshop they scanned and found the problem to be the Crank Sensor. This workshop has a recondition sensor.

Want to know whether it’s ok to go ahead (I was told that I will get a 3 months guarantee as well) the total cost would be about 6k. Pls advice if anyone has experience on this.

Bope

check the new sensor price from agents or outside. If there is a significant difference between prices, I don't see any issue in going with used part, specially if they are offering a guarantee for 3 months.

Total thing took more than 3hrs, because removed TB, cleaned, fixed test run, removed again change the TPS test run, removed ECU, tested with another ECU, fixed the orginal ECU again, test run, scan done couple of times. Didn't cost me a single cent. But I used to go there for every thing. :rolleyes:

Hmm that's kwll