• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airtel Internet Connection

jdnet

Service pack 2

BTW i'm getting it disconnected this week n going for SLT the best out there, n also in search of the guy who promoted this Dialog connection to shove it up. :violent-smiley-099:

yeh i been using SLT and absolutely no complains..besides its unlimited downloading and i have`nt noticed a drop in net speeds..

so I kinda lost this thread. Here's an update. I did end up getting an airtel unlimited connection. It's not as great as my suntel as the connection does drop at times, but, for less than Rs.2000 I think it's worth it. The unlimited has a cap of 10gb at 1.8 mbps and the speed degrades to something like 512 until 12 gb and 256 after that. I'm using my suntel connection for downloads so it really doesn't affect me that much as I would rarely go over 10 gb.

Yup, don't go over 13GB cuz the speed drops down to 256kbps as they say. But not exactly true, the actual maximum speeds you normally would get after 13GB is around 80kbps. :o

And if you're not using too much data, the Impatience connection is even cheaper, cuz for 10GB last month, I was charged only 760 Rs. with taxes. :)

Yup, don't go over 13GB cuz the speed drops down to 256kbps as they say. But not exactly true, the actual maximum speeds you normally would get after 13GB is around 80kbps. :o

And if you're not using too much data, the Impatience connection is even cheaper, cuz for 10GB last month, I was charged only 760 Rs. with taxes. :)

wow 80mbps? i haven't browsed the internet at those speeds since slt first came up with adsl. If I were to go back to those speeds i'll probably kill myself. Either way I did buy a prepaid sim too so if i do go over 12gb i'll probably just load the prepaid up.

so I kinda lost this thread. Here's an update. I did end up getting an airtel unlimited connection. It's not as great as my suntel as the connection does drop at times, but, for less than Rs.2000 I think it's worth it. The unlimited has a cap of 10gb at 1.8 mbps and the speed degrades to something like 512 until 12 gb and 256 after that. I'm using my suntel connection for downloads so it really doesn't affect me that much as I would rarely go over 10 gb.

So instead of cutting you off or charging you extra if you go past the limit, they slow your downspeed? That's weird. What if a person wanted to download more than 10 gigs? <_< I'm assuming this 'Unlimited' connection is a premium package...

So instead of cutting you off or charging you extra if you go past the limit, they slow your downspeed? That's weird. What if a person wanted to download more than 10 gigs? <_< I'm assuming this 'Unlimited' connection is a premium package...

It may be weird, but it's practiced by all operators who give HSDPA... if they were to give unlimited data @ max speeds they would have to do a major upgrade on their connection to the internet and that wouldn't be cost effective at present.

Heard they are no more releasing the 'Impatience' package for new customers & will continue only with the existing ones :unsure:

Yeah, it was the Unlimited I had before I changed to Impatience :) The former was a bit too costly, whatever you use, you've to pay for the full connection. But I just went through each and every service provider plans and FUPs, so the best and most expensive is Mobitel, Dialog has lots of inside hidden policies and charge a lot in the end for not much data. Airtel is the cheapest, but not fast as others at only 1.8Mbps for unlimited data, but best value :) But the slowing speed is confusing, it's different from the bill.

If you want to download more than 10GB, they cut down the speed to 512kpbs first for 3GBs, that's upto 13GB and then finally to 256kbps (64KBps). Still not bad, but it's impossible to get used to that speed again once you get used to nearly 2Mbps :D

Heard they are no more releasing the 'Impatience' package for new customers & will continue only with the existing ones :unsure:

Hmm, didn't know that. Too bad then, it's very cheap, cuz I only pay for the block I use.I'll tell with taxes -- use upto 5GB - Rs.364, upto 10GB - Rs.760, upto 15GB - Rs.1200, more than 15GB - Rs.1815

Maybe it's kinda bad for them? :D

yeah I meant kbps. That's why I said I haven't surfed at those speeds since before slt came up with adsl.

Why not?? I get usually speeds of around 150KBps (1.2Mbps) while browsing and around 200KBps (1.6Mbps) in downloads at around this time. A movie of 700MB takes around 1.5 hours to download :)

Took airtel connection today. Came home plugged in to the computer.. Guess what NO SIGNAL !!!! :angry-smiley-048:

That's weird, I've never lost signals around Kandy or Colombo :o

That's weird, I've never lost signals around Kandy or Colombo :o

Yes I never thought it'll be NO SIGNAL for UMTS mode. I am just 8KM away from Kandy City passing Katugastota. I have Mobitel 3G all the time, but its my official sim so i don't use if for heavy downloads. Got Airtel because of the 1.5GB download thing. Looks like I have to wait some more days.. :angry:

Yes I never thought it'll be NO SIGNAL for UMTS mode. I am just 8KM away from Kandy City passing Katugastota. I have Mobitel 3G all the time, but its my official sim so i don't use if for heavy downloads. Got Airtel because of the 1.5GB download thing. Looks like I have to wait some more days.. :angry:

Oh sorry thama, no Airtel 3G in Katugastota other than in the town. The problem is UMTS in SL uses 2100MHz band, so small wavelength = less range, but high speed data. Can't emit high outputs cuz of radiation limits, and cuz of that you have to be quite near to a transmitting tower. They aren't big, just small stuff on top of buildings which came up recently. So check for the nearest one and try pointing that antenna here in that direction :)

I'm towards Peradeniya side, and not losing signal anywhere. But I'm sure Airtel office would say they have 3G in Katugastota nah? Make a suggestion to put a tower on your roof :D

Edit - And afaik they pay you for letting them use your roof, though I've not yet seen a tower on a residential 'asbestos' house. ;)

Edited by BLu3HaZe