• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gear Selector Sensitivity

glimmer

Question

Hi all,

I have just bought an automatic presea 1990. when selecting drive (D) you have to move the selector stick minutely in the D area to engage the gear other wise the engine appears to be in neutral. Also, randomly, but it is happening enough to be annoying. when i initially get in the car and fire her up nothing happens. all the dash lights come on as normal but there is no engaging of the starter motor. its as though you have started the car whilst it is in gear. i then move the gear selector through the gears and eventually when it is returned to P it will fire up. Other times it wont fire up, i leave it in P and walk away for half an hour. When i return, having not touched the gear selector, the car will fire up.

Thank you. glimmer

5 answers to this question

Hi all,

I have just bought an automatic presea 1990. when selecting drive (D) you have to move the selector stick minutely in the D area to engage the gear other wise the engine appears to be in neutral. Also, randomly, but it is happening enough to be annoying. when i initially get in the car and fire her up nothing happens. all the dash lights come on as normal but there is no engaging of the starter motor. its as though you have started the car whilst it is in gear. i then move the gear selector through the gears and eventually when it is returned to P it will fire up. Other times it wont fire up, i leave it in P and walk away for half an hour. When i return, having not touched the gear selector, the car will fire up.

Thank you. glimmer

I don't know the actual specifications of your car ,and I haven't worked with the model you said .

but it sounds like a problem with the gear selector switch ,but again I can be wrong .

best way is to use process of elimination to find the faulty part.

had a similar issue with my car. The car would not start up even though i had a new battrey in it. thought initially it was the relays and when the mechanic could not find a fault with it he checked the starter motor, there was no problem there either. Then he kept shifting and moving the gear knob while turing the car over and it started. He said it was the auto-gear slector problem and started checking it. True enough; The wire harness connectors leading to the auto-gear slector were loose. Did a bit of soldering and now the car is right as rain.

Hi all,

Thank you. glimmer

do you hear some kind of click sound at this stage? I also experience this problem sometimes but didn't think it was to do with the gear selector.

do you hear some kind of click sound at this stage? I also experience this problem sometimes but didn't think it was to do with the gear selector.

I believe that the clicking sound comes from the relay and that is why we initially thought it was an issue with the relays.

Cheers