• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why Second Hand Honda Civics Selling Like Hot Cakes?

Lance

We all know that a Hyudai with a Honda badge will be more expensive than a normal one. Our market is always biased to Jap cars and specially there is a certain segment in the market which will only go for Hondas. As mentioned by some one before the Honda's imported as much less compared to the other brands such as Toyotas and that makes them even more expensive. I'm more of a Bemer person but when it comes to Jap cars I have always had Toyotas and Nissans. (Would admit that Honda's are great value for money and the drive feels awsome too)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say that certain Hondas have definitely attracted the wrong crowd!

with the exception of resident toyota fanboy Nilantha...i haven't noticed anybody else making unrealistic and at times retarded claims as some Honda owners do... :P there are quite a few people like that in this thread itself...

those are the people who give a bad rap to such a great brand IMHO...

Thought I will rain on the VTEC parade today by putting this on... this is about the 1988 Alfa 164 engine... :)

The base 164 engine was the 2.0 L Twin Spark I4 engine with two spark plugs per cylinder. Apart from that, this engine was also notable for having a two-stage valve timing system (before Honda's famous VTEC), and an induction valve blade-type system, aimed at improving low-end torque.

Gotta say that certain Hondas have definitely attracted the wrong crowd!

with the exception of resident toyota fanboy Nilantha...i haven't noticed anybody else making unrealistic and at times retarded claims as some Honda owners do... :P there are quite a few people like that in this thread itself...

those are the people who give a bad rap to such a great brand IMHO...

+1

Thought I will rain on the VTEC parade today by putting this on... this is about the 1988 Alfa 164 engine... :)

They had it even earlier than the 164 :) Was actually developed/patented by fiat in the early 70's, but presumably Tony couldnt Fix it properly.

Alfa Romeo was the first manufacturer to use a variable valve timing system in production cars (US Patent 4,231,330). The 1980 Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 L had a mechanical VVT system in SPICA fuel injected cars sold in the United States. Later this was also used in the 1983 Alfetta 2.0 Quadrifoglio Oro models as well as other cars. The system was engineered by Ing Giampaolo Garcea in the 1970s

Honda weren't the first jap company to Vary valve timing either..

In 1986, Nissan developed their own form of VVT with the VG30DE(TT) engine for their MID4 Concept. Nissan chose to focus their NVCS (Nissan Valve-Timing Control System) mainly on torque production at low to medium engine speeds, because, the vast majority of the time, automobile engines will not be operated at extremely high speeds. The NVCS system can produce a smooth idle and high amounts of torque at low to medium engine speeds. The VG30DE engine was first used in the 300ZX (Z31) 300ZR model in 1987. It was the first production car to use electronically controlled VVT technology. In 1987 Nissan also sold the Gloria, Leopard, and Cedric, all of which could come powered by the VG20DET engine which also utilized Nissans NVCS valve timing system.

What VTEC achieved was being the first such system with variable cam profiles.

The next step was taken in 1989 by Honda with the VTEC system. Honda had started production of a system that gives an engine the ability to operate on two completely different cam profiles, eliminating a major compromise in engine design. One profile designed to operate the valves at low engine speeds provides good road manners, low fuel consumption and low emissions output. The second is a high lift, long duration profile and comes into operation at high engine speeds to provide an increase in power output. The VTEC system was also further developed to provide other functions in engines designed primarily for low fuel consumption. The first VTEC engine Honda produced was the B16A which was installed in the Integra, CRX, and Civic hatchback available in Japan and Europe. In 1991 the Acura NSX powered by the C30A became the first VTEC equipped vehicle available in the US. VTEC can be considered the first "cam switching" system and is also one of only a few currently in production.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Valve_Timing