• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Be Aware Of Vehicle Sellers In Sl

carbuddy

Today me and one of my friend went to A*W and ask when can he get the Ordered Vehicle. They are not telling a exact date. From the 1st day onward they are telling Still new Vehicle didnt came. With out exact date he waiting. So ppl please be aware when you planing to buy a vehicle. Seller are telling whole lot of thing but they cant give vehicle. only they want is money.

Thanks.

So he has paid for the vehicle is it? And how long has it been?

A*W has got a whole lot of bad reputation stuck to it, but that aside; If you're making a complaint or allegation against a person/institute you should mention more details as to WHY you're dissatisfied or why you think you're being cheated rather than whout out very generalized negative statements.

Today me and one of my friend went to A*W and ask when can he get the Ordered Vehicle. They are not telling a exact date. From the 1st day onward they are telling Still new Vehicle didnt came. With out exact date he waiting. So ppl please be aware when you planing to buy a vehicle. Seller are telling whole lot of thing but they cant give vehicle. only they want is money.

Thanks.

When you guy a flash drive from ebay even chinese guys give rough delivery date, wonder why these dealers can't give atleast an estimated date of delivery.

I have Ordered this new car called Suzuki A-star from A*W... they are supposed to deliver it by mid October. hope I will get it on time :unsure:

Members,

I went there (A*W) personally to order 1 Vehicle for my self the sales staff informed me that I have to deposit Rs, 250000.00 and delivery date they do not promise earliest is December mid or end. I cannot understand their attitude to a prospective buyer. They want our money first to do any thing.

Wijesinghe

Well if they couldn't give him an estimated date of arrival, then why did he order the vehicle in the first place?

mmm Well they are the Agent for SL. If there is another place (a Good place) People will definitely go for it. (a Good Business for sure :rolleyes: )

I've always wondered why there is no other authorized agent/dealer for at least the major brands. Cos right now agents seem to show attitude to customers simply cos they have the monopoly for whatever brand new vehicle.

Out of curiosity; what's the procedure for acquiring a B/N car from the production country and import it personally? Is it still considered "B/N" in a legal POW since at time there are restrictions on imports (such as on permits) where they'd say the permit can be used only for brand new vehicles. Cos i remember someone saying that the smart cabs that came to SL though B/N, were not considered so (hence they were called unofficially B/N i think)..

Edited by Dilesh

Out of curiosity; what's the procedure for acquiring a B/N car from the production country and import it personally? Is it still considered "B/N" in a legal POW since at time there are restrictions on imports (such as on permits) where they'd say the permit can be used only for brand new vehicles. Cos i remember someone saying that the smart cabs that came to SL though B/N, were not considered so (hence they were called unofficially B/N i think)..

I was also wondering about this... in UK it's possible (e.g. as a visitor) to buy a car saying it's for export. Then you don't pay VAT (but the documents you get with the car will not allow you to drive in UK, except for some time limit of few months... if you don't export by then you will have to pay the VAT or the car will be siezed). Thereafter I'm thinking the export (from UK) and import (here) procedures would be no different to how a lot of used 406's were imported to Sri Lanka by individual buyers.

Unless Customs here has some restriction that B/N cars can only be imported by an authorized agent??

Wonder if there is a rule that there can't be more than one authorized agent here. Cos you get quite a few more than one dealership for many popular brands in cities abroad.

Just a thought... if we consider other products, often companies becoming an agent for a foreign principal get a "sole authorized agent" designation - the new agent has to spend a lot of money (even if somewhat subsidized by the principal) to build up the brand, which translates to higher selling cost. if someone else could just import and sell then the newcomer would have a big advantage.

In this case there is no regulation by GoSL / customs, just market pricing - principal gives a big discount to agent which makes it not viable for others to compete.

in certain products (e.g. Nokia) this doesn't quite work due to grey-market importers being able to avoid customs duty by smuggling.

With vehicles, I don't know if agents get much in the way of a discount, but they likely have extended credit with the principal, so probably any other importer of brand new vehicles would be more expensive. (assuming the domestic model and the export model were the same car)

For a car in SL to be leagally concider a brandnew it must be imported via the dealership.

Not too sure why others can't set up dealerships in SL. There must be something like a "sole agent" clasue somewhere as Sifaan has pointed out.