• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicale Tax To Come Down Further

Velocity

I think the only way to make it cheaper is to get together and import as a pool like Kaushama suggested in another thread before. Say if we could save 2 lacks per person, (i'm pretty sure we could save more) and if it's a group of 5 people we could save roughly around 1Mil. Another friend of mine was keen to do so as I wanted a Diesel vehicle and he wanted a car but I pretty much gave up after hearing some horror stories and I could not calculate the actual numbers due to no clear information in many areas. We all know that vehicles sell like hot cakes in SL (specially Jap recons) and there is always a demand, specially after the war is over and during the economic boom every middle class family is trying to get a vehicle. IMO if some one brings down a Jap vehicle and wants to get rid of it, selling it should not be that of an issue.

If any one have did a pool/group type import could you please share some details as it will be helpful to many other members like me :) .

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demand for new cars increase

After the slash of import duty the demand for brand new motor cars has increased sharply.

However, the prices of second hand cars have not yet changed and a price reduction in second hand cars is expected only after brand new car orders are delivered.

The minimum lead time for a brand new car is over four months and therefore the second hand car prices will reduce by October this year, market sources said.

A fleet of vehicles

A spokesman for A*W Ltd said that there is a demand for the newly launched economy class motor car A-Stra. The car was launched in Sri Lanka last week and within four days 90 cars have been ordered, he said.

Under the new tax a car is sold at Rs.1.65 million and if the earlier tax system prevailed the price would be Rs.2 million. This is a full option manual gear car and the company needs three months lead time to deliver the vehicle.

The A-Star auto gear car will be launched in December at Rs.2.6 million.

The Maruti 800 economy car price has come down from Rs. 1.25 million to Rs 960,000 after tax reduction. After the price revision there is an order for 3000 cars. If you order a car today the company will be able to deliver it in February next year.

Sales Manager of Toyota Lanka Janaka Badugama said that after tax reduction customer inquiries have increased and the company expects a sale of over 1000 cars this year. In the last year car sales were very low and only around 200 cars were sold, he said.

Sales Manager of Indra Traders said that the price of newly imported reconditioned cars have come down by Rs 200,000-300,000. However, second hand car prices have not decreased, he said.

The price of luxury cars have come down by a large amount and there is a sharp increase in demand. The price of a E-class Mercedes Benz has been reduced by around Rs. 6 m.

The car was sold at around 23.5 million earlier. After the price reduction over 80 cars have been ordered so far while last year only 8 cars were sold, market sources said. GW

Are the taxes going back to pre-2004 rates :o :o Are we going to be able to buy a BRAND NEW Honduh Sivic for TWO MILLION RUPEES??

Even if it does it wont be that cheep due to one main reasons. Which is with every new model they bring down the prices do increase by a certain percentage. Therefore CIF will be higher.

Wonder how it will effect the recon market though...

• 1 year later...

I think the car price has gone at the current situation is not because the gov increase duty, but because they reduce the number of years to import a vehicle.

In japan u cant find ppl selling vehicles which are just 2 years, even if their selling they are in demand locally. The best thing the gov should do is increase the number of years n leave the taxes alone without keep changing so the the market will settle.When the year is less u pay more for the vehicle and u pay more tax.

Gov should plan to reduce foreign currency going outa the country than make it worse. Reducing the duty will make the prices in japan go up n we'll be sending more money to japan than pay taxes.

Hope the gov. officials would have figured this by now... :sad-smiley-066:

Why not totally ban used car imports, then you get rid of all these underhand business and manipulations. If one is concern about the livelihood of the used car importers they can become used car traders.

100 % agreed. First the govt should gradually reduce the max no of years and then completely ban specially for cars. There can be a grace period for vans, AC buses, land vehicles etc since they are pretty expensive when it comes to brand new.

100 % agreed. First the govt should gradually reduce the max no of years and then completely ban specially for cars. There can be a grace period for vans, AC buses, land vehicles etc since they are pretty expensive when it comes to brand new.

...And that will do what good again?

In case u didn't realize SL yet is a developing country... every one cant afford a brand new... unless u want to buy a Maruti n think n act like ur in a BMW or something...

Besides, even developed countries like Singapore allows importaion of vehicles which are more than 2 years. So u think restricting will make the country like a developed country? Maruti story again anyone?