• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Wastage With Beat Barrel ??

mensoft

Question

If you're thinking about this, then is it correct to say it's likely you fitted (or want to fit) it for the noise rather than any performance boost? Performance boost of any sort comes at a price.

Habayi barrel ekey ela beat ekak thiyenawa...natanna... :D

yes,If done incorrectly the pulling power will decrease,something to do with back pressure I think...I hope more Knowledgeble members will elaborate on this.

Get it done by people who know what their doing like Tokimo or that starlet GT fella...Elcardo is NOT reccommended.

Try gettin a Branded barell if you want performance

But they would be expensive.

Btw what is your car?

What are the branded available here and the price range?

Do we have original Mugen exhoust systems here for Honda.

Do we have original Mugen exhoust systems here for Honda.

I have seen some "mooojen" systems with decals attached on three wheelers. :P But I'm sure some of the Lankan Honda tuning gurus can source one if needed. I donno if Honda tuning/body kitting has gone out the window in SL now, I never see any talk about it anymore unlike the old days.

I have seen some "mooojen" systems with decals attached on three wheelers. :P But I'm sure some of the Lankan Honda tuning gurus can source one if needed. I donno if Honda tuning/body kitting has gone out the window in SL now, I never see any talk about it anymore unlike the old days.

Ofcause body kits are out of fashion but restoring is way forward I guess.

The reason for I asked the Mugen exhaust is that in case if the current muffler got damaged in my Honda to see the possibility of going for orginal Honda/or Mugen muffler without going for generic stuff.

guys after fix beat barrel (beat muffler) is the fuel getting more waste ?

I dont think you will see any noticable change in fuel consumption if this is only a attachement at the back. The noise is from the way the air passes, ( kind of like a whistle ) there will be some resistence but not much.

guys after fix beat barrel (beat muffler) is the fuel getting more waste ?

Since you talk about beat I think you wanna to get the this "pata pata noice". If this is your daily ride or use for longer travel it will be very hectic and disturbing noice. And you will get fed-up pretty soon. Once went to Colombo and return to Kandy in mid night in a CRX with a performance muffler. And I was in that small back seat in most of the time.. It was the fastest I came Colombo - Kandy took about one hour and 30 minutes. But I was the most tiring ride as well.

I dont think you will see any noticable change in fuel consumption if this is only a attachement at the back. The noise is from the way the air passes, ( kind of like a whistle ) there will be some resistence but not much.

i think you're wrong here

the additional "noise" coming out of these "beat" barrels is due to lesser restriction in the exhaust gases and lesser sound dampening

when you have free flowing gases from your exhausts it makes for less back pressure for the engine to fire against making the engine loose torque especially at lower rev range. Also when exhausts gases are moving out faster it makes the fuel mixture in the cylinder head leaner! meaning more air...less fuel...

so if you have EFI system the sensors will pic this up and pump more fuel to the head to correct the air-fuel ratios... hence burning more fuel.

On a carb engine this wont happen but you will end up fouling your plugs faster and running your engine too hot.

the additional "noise" coming out of these "beat" barrels is due to lesser restriction in the exhaust gases and lesser sound dampening

when you have free flowing gases from your exhausts it makes for less back pressure for the engine to fire against making the engine loose torque especially at lower rev range. Also when exhausts gases are moving out faster it makes the fuel mixture in the cylinder head leaner! meaning more air...less fuel...

so if you have EFI system the sensors will pic this up and pump more fuel to the head to correct the air-fuel ratios... hence burning more fuel.

On a carb engine this wont happen but you will end up fouling your plugs faster and running your engine too hot.

You are right here it will def burn more fuel .

Regarding the power ,bigger is not always better .You have to find the right balance .

If you increase the diameter of the muffler too much then it will allow air to flow slowly due to colder air and spoiling of exhaust pulses( when the car is running in low RPM ), hence more work for the engine .You will get bit of boost in the high RMP though.

if you haven't done any mods with the engine ,then your stock exhaust will give the best economy.

HI..

i did some search about the beat barrel and i found several words "Muffler" , "Beat Barrel" , "Straight Through" , "Beat Exhaust" likewise, what is the meaning of each?

how can i get performance boost using those?

:unsure:

thanks

MY one is a crab engine . actually is a old model car . lancer a72 (year 1976) but i experience this want do 10 even petrol . i have ask the question in early also but didn't get the proper ans. so i thought that course because of beat barrel .

its not actually "pata pata" noise . but its something very deep base noise.

Hmmm I'm thinking of fitting a cat back exhaust system and either a dropin a performance filter or cold air intake kit in as well, will this help boost power and mileage? Also where in the kotte, rajagiriya area could i get a cat back fixed if i get one down?

more power almost always means it will burn more fuel!

you can't eat the cake and have the cake at the same time...

MY one is a crab engine . actually is a old model car . lancer a72 (year 1976) but i experience this want do 10 even petrol . i have ask the question in early also but didn't get the proper ans. so i thought that course because of beat barrel .

its not actually "pata pata" noise . but its something very deep base noise.

free flowing pipes are put in for performance boost and that comes at the cost of fuel efficiency.

even ad a performance booster...plugging on a free flow pipe alone wont do you much good. the engine would need to breath more easier and would need more fuel to burn and give you that performance you seek.

If you like a loud car and think that's cool...by all means...a beat barrel is the way to go.

just my 2 cents

free flowing pipes are put in for performance boost and that comes at the cost of fuel efficiency.

even ad a performance booster...plugging on a free flow pipe alone wont do you much good. the engine would need to breath more easier and would need more fuel to burn and give you that performance you seek.

If you like a loud car and think that's cool...by all means...a beat barrel is the way to go.

just my 2 cents

Actually i also don't like that noise. i like it much when it so silent and when it gives the original beat . but this thin is already fixed when i brought it . so i'm thinking will git give more fuel saving if i remove it . ????

Actually i also don't like that noise. i like it much when it so silent and when it gives the original beat . but this thin is already fixed when i brought it . so i'm thinking will git give more fuel saving if i remove it . ????

it might do a bit better. also best to get the carb tuned, check the plugs and change if needed, check the air filter, ensure tyre pressure is kept up properly etc...

do all the basic stuff and your car should give you it's optimal fuel efficiency as it was designed by it's creators

good luck

HI..

i did some search about the beat barrel and i found several words "Muffler" , "Beat Barrel" , "Straight Through" , "Beat Exhaust" likewise, what is the meaning of each?

how can i get performance boost using those?

:unsure:

thanks

A casual google search of Beat Barrel and Beat Exhaust I think you will find suggests those two terms are endemic to Sri Lanka :P Might I recommend the dictionary of Sri lankan english? (http://www.mirisgala.net/Sri_Lankan_English_Main.html)

I found an old article in the Sunday Times talking something about the subject (http://sundaytimes.lk/060709/ST1/2.html) but I didn't read it. Maybe it has helpful info for you.

What car are you driving machang? These things look out of place on many cars (like my N16). Unless it's a car that really shines under upgrades, I don't think fitting one of those by itself is going to give you much of a performance boost (though there could be an interesting placebo effect :P). It really depends on what car you're planning on doing this. Otherwise, you can also slap on a cone filter, aftermarket ecu, competition clutch, 3" piping, port and polish your headers and intake manifold etc, but what have you got at the end of the day? A highly tuned lawnmower.

A casual google search of Beat Barrel and Beat Exhaust I think you will find suggests those two terms are endemic to Sri Lanka :P Might I recommend the dictionary of Sri lankan english? (http://www.mirisgala.net/Sri_Lankan_English_Main.html)

I found an old article in the Sunday Times talking something about the subject (http://sundaytimes.lk/060709/ST1/2.html) but I didn't read it. Maybe it has helpful info for you.

What car are you driving machang? These things look out of place on many cars (like my N16). Unless it's a car that really shines under upgrades, I don't think fitting one of those by itself is going to give you much of a performance boost (though there could be an interesting placebo effect :P). It really depends on what car you're planning on doing this. Otherwise, you can also slap on a cone filter, aftermarket ecu, competition clutch, 3" piping, port and polish your headers and intake manifold etc, but what have you got at the end of the day? A highly tuned lawnmower.

hi..

my car is a Lancer CK2, thinking to do some modifications.. but i'm totally new to this automobile world.. i don't know wht should i do and shouldn't .., any recommended web sites or articles for learning such things will be really helpful to me..,

What you say is correct wrt a cat back exhaust system where the complete unit is changed by removing the catalytic converter and letting the air flow freely. But I think what this guy is asking for is just a unit which makes the noise. Think almost any way side Silanser guy can do.

I used to have a small hole in the pie, this was giving a nice deep noise and almost anyone who heard the car asked if I had fixed a " Beat Barrel " . Then I got it fixed and no noise thereafer also no change in fuel consumption.

Oh yea, how could I forget. This happened to an old Lancer we had as well. In fact we sold it without fixing the problem, and I remember explaining to the guy who bought it that we hadn't fixed a "beat barrel," just had a leaky silencer :P

So there you go, to the thread starter. If you want more noise, just punch a hole somewhere in your silencer.

Oh yea, how could I forget. This happened to an old Lancer we had as well. In fact we sold it without fixing the problem, and I remember explaining to the guy who bought it that we hadn't fixed a "beat barrel," just had a leaky silencer :P

So there you go, to the thread starter. If you want more noise, just punch a hole somewhere in your silencer.

:), guess you're kidding. There's a difference of the beat comes out of a beat barrel and a punctured tail pipe. Further, punctured tail pipe would affect fuel efficiency more than a beat barrel.

:), guess you're kidding. There's a difference of the beat comes out of a beat barrel and a punctured tail pipe. Further, punctured tail pipe would affect fuel efficiency more than a beat barrel.

Was wondering about this, coz i think i have a leak somewhere on my exhaust lol, though din't notice much difference other than noise. How could an exhaust leak affect performance and fuel consumption?