• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chipping And Retuning My Civic

AL998

Hi all ,

I'm going to chip my civic and retuned by my self ,So I thought to start a journal here

1998 Civic 1.6 SOHC non Vtec D16B2 Estate with a Automatic tranny :D,yeah it is an auto .That is one of the reasons I want to do this .Because not much people does that and I want to see how I end up .

img1016q.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Plan

I will be carrying out all the work done in this project.

Since this got a unchippable OBD2 ECU , I will be using a OBD2 P1K-E61 ECU.Which got OBD1 board inside. I don't have to use a conversion harness since both got EDM OBD1 type connectors .

I had another ECU laying around which is a Vtec manual ,since it needs some modification I'm going to keep it in its original condition for later use. After I get the chipping done, I will be editing maps .

Plus I will be using a toggle switch to switch between stock and new maps.Since I haven't done any modifications in the engine I can afford to do this. Not much of a help in this car but the concept is good with a Vtec manual tuned for extra power. Stock maps for daily use and bit of extra power when you need it .

I am not after any more power since it is an auto anyway ,and it will not be possible get much increase in the fuel economy as well

But why am I doing this ??? just for the sake of it !

Original ECU

img0957p.jpg

New ECU

img0992a.jpg

Since there is a Immobilizer board in the new ECU I will be replacing it with a dummy Immobilizer chip, which will bypass the immobilizer.I should be getting it in next week as well as other parts.

all the de-soldering is done .That's it for now I will be updating with the soldering when I get my parts next week

img1029w.jpg

Edited by AL998

• 1 month later...

Dude is the project stuck somewhere or you never bother after that? :o Please do post the details if you will :)

:D I got stuck for a bit but its all good now.

Basically my civic was not using fully sequential injection , it was using either batch firing or semi sequential. Injector 1 and 4 was wired up together as well as 2 and 3 . So two injectors get fired up at the same time. In other words in a one engine cycle an injector fires twice. The first injected fuel is saved in the inlet side until the next one. I don't know why this car is different than a normal civic, may be due to its being an estate (due to extra weight)

So to use a P28,P06 like OBD1 chippable ECU I had to

1.Rewire the injectors

2.Use a Honda distributor and rewire the distributor wiring from ECU (this car was using a lucas distributor which is not compatible with P28 ,P06 like ECU's)

Since it's my daily runner I didn't want to get stranded by experimenting on it, So I got a 1.5 vtec manual for cheap as my project car.

I will be using the same ECU which I was hoping to use with my 1.6 auto ( by converting it to manual),since the stock chip will be running 1.6 program there is no point using a toggle switch to switch between stock chip and new chip (later I will use this feature by writing two programs in one chip)

Ok that's the story so far ,Now for some pics on chipping

28pin DIP Socket

2 0.1uf Ceramic Disk Capacitors

2 1k resistors

74HC373 Chip (20 pin)

SST27SF512 Chip (28 pin ,this is the chip which will be used for re programming)

additionally I will be replacing the 220uf capacitor as a precaution (because of age)

p1010830d.jpg

Right is the after market dummy Immobilizer chip which will replace the original one on the left ,This will allow me to run with Immobilizer disabled but without any MIL light .

p1010829g.jpg

For data logging I will be going the cheap route ,this a an old nokia usb cable (DKU-5),

p1010828i.jpg

p1010848r.jpg

Edited by AL998

Chipped

p1010841j.jpg

Data logging added on CN2 slot

Pin 1 Ground (Black)

Pin 2 Rx (Blue)

Pin 4 Tx (White)

p1010849f.jpg

Chipping is done,Now writing the chip

I will be using a TOP853 EPROM burner , pretty cheap product but it does the job.Since my car has a 1.5 vtec-e engine I will be using a P07 stock program(bin) (OBD1 ECU which was originally came with some vtec-e engines)

p1010850u.jpg

img1264fm.jpg

just to make sure ,I checked the new chipped ECU with the car and it works fine ,but with the engine management light, Didn't have time to check the code but my gut feeling says probably due to some O2 sensor incompatibility.

I will update the thread with editing the bin using chrome, live tuning and data logging using a wide band O2 sensor later on.

Edited by AL998

Hey that's some pretty nice DIY stuff there, guess not many would do those things here cuz the stuff necessary is a bit rare and expensive. Nevertheless, that's some good work, well done! :) Anyway, just an idea, as your new project car has 1.5 VTEC-E SOHC engine, with a manual too, why not turn that into a N/A track car? :D Unless you're planning to sell that ofcourse. If not, it'd be a lot of fun for the weekends. And it already has more power than your D16B2 anyway, assuming it's the famous D15B. That's 110hp vs. 130hp stock, more than 10 years ago though. And auto wastes more power too.

Btw, Wiki says your engine was only used in the Rover 416i Automatic :o You sure there's not been an engine swap or something?

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Btw, Wiki says your engine was only used in the Rover 416i Automatic :o You sure there's not been an engine swap or something?

Rover and Honda had an engine deal from the early 80's to the late 90's untill BMW took over.The 416i was a car built during that alliance.so it is a case of companies sharing platforms,but the engine remains a Honda.

Edited by MasterDon

Rover and Honda had an engine deal from the early 80's to the late 90's untill BMW took over.The 416i was a car built during that alliance.so it is a case of companies sharing platforms,but the engine remains a Honda.

Yea but I mean his car is a Civic, not a Rover? :o So if they only supplied that engine to Rover, what is it doing inside a Honda Civic?? I couldn't find details of Honda using the D16B2 in a Civic. But maybe that's cuz not much info is there on wagons then dry.gif

Yea but I mean his car is a Civic, not a Rover? :o So if they only supplied that engine to Rover, what is it doing inside a Honda Civic?? I couldn't find details of Honda using the D16B2 in a Civic. But maybe that's cuz not much info is there on wagons then dry.gif

jeeze it's the same engine with differant badges that was used in the civic wagon and the rover! :action-smiley-060:

and BTW dont trust everything wikipedia says noob!

Edited by MasterDon

jeeze it's the same engine with differant badges that was used in the civic wagon and the rover! :action-smiley-060:

and BTW dont trust everything wikipedia says noob!

I didn't say there was any problem with the badges, I said there was no record of the Civic having that engine which I could find.

And I did NOT mention that it was only in Wikipedia that I checked so you can't say that. I said I couldn't find any details as such, that is ANYWHERE I searched. I'd be happy to see some verifiable information from a trusted source, such as a manual or an official site, before you start insulting.

I didn't say there was any problem with the badges, I said there was no record of the Civic having that engine which I could find.

And I did NOT mention that it was only in Wikipedia that I checked so you can't say that. I said I couldn't find any details as such, that is ANYWHERE I searched. I'd be happy to see some verifiable information from a trusted source, such as a manual or an official site, before you start insulting.

LOL you want proof?...:sigh:..this is what happens when noobs become "petrolheads" via google...

okay i'll use google as well.the estate in question was a euro model...here's a screen capture of a british parts website.

capturepw.jpg

before you start insulting.

all things aside,since when did AL become the home of the ultra sensitive sissies who consider 'noob' to be a cuss word.

Edited by MasterDon

LOL you want proof?...:sigh:..this is what happens when noobs become "petrolheads" via google...

okay i'll use google as well.the estate in question was a euro model...here's a screen capture of a british parts website.

Ok then, sorry I was mistaken and as I said earlier, it's hard to find info on wagons. And even as you see in your screenshot, there isn't a single other car in that list with that specific engine model. And I only asked the owner who'd know about cars in the country he's living whether it was a swap.

And you can't call everyone joining here recently as a 'noob' cuz you don't know them personally whether they're new to the subject or not, and not everyone knows everything either, and we don't even currently live in the UK. :)

all things aside,since when did AL become the home of the ultra sensitive sissies who consider 'noob' to be a cuss word.

I only didn't want this thread too to become one of those classic fights in AL which I've seen all over with insults to everybody from everyone joining. Didn't want to ruin the spirit of new AL forum. :) Keep it cool bro. No harm done. It doesn't offend me that you call me by that, cuz yes I'm not too familiar with everything found in the automobile industry, yet sometimes not even people working at Honda may not know about some regional stuff (as a friend of mine in Aus had gold of a JDM 4WD drive Civic but Aus Honda had no idea what the parts he requested for replacing something were). Besides, you too used Google. :D

On a side note, I noticed that not every forum uses the word noob for new members with less than 50 posts.

It is an original Honda engine inside.

img1295rf.jpg

As MasterDon said it was Rover who used Honda engines+other parts because of some deal they had .It is very common to find Honda engines instead of nasty K-series in Rover cars.

This D16B2 only available in UK civic Estates AFAIK(maybe in rovers as well). Looks exactly the same as any other 1.6 non-vtec SOHC engine.

img1296t.jpg

Edited by AL998

Hey that's some pretty nice DIY stuff there, guess not many would do those things here cuz the stuff necessary is a bit rare and expensive. Nevertheless, that's some good work, well done! :) Anyway, just an idea, as your new project car has 1.5 VTEC-E SOHC engine, with a manual too, why not turn that into a N/A track car? :D Unless you're planning to sell that ofcourse. If not, it'd be a lot of fun for the weekends. And it already has more power than your D16B2 anyway, assuming it's the famous D15B. That's 110hp vs. 130hp stock, more than 10 years ago though. And auto wastes more power too.

Thanks mate :)

the only costly bit is the Wide band O2 Setup which will be about Rs 30000/= ,

here is a list of approximate costs

Wideband O2 sensor +controler Rs 30000/=

EPROM programmer 6000/=

chipping kit Rs 1500-2000 (less if you buy individually)

Nokia cable Rs 150 ???

and an ECU + conversion harness if the car is an OBD2 of course

since this is vtec-e with the 12 valve thing going on ,I don't think I will be able get lot of extra power unless I go crazy with it.In fact I think it would be ideal to go the other way with this setup, ie going crazy with economy :D

It is an original Honda engine inside.

As MasterDon said it was Rover who used Honda engines+other parts because of some deal they had .It is very common to find Honda engines instead of nasty K-series in Rover cars.

This D16B2 only available in UK civic Estates AFAIK(maybe in rovers as well). Looks exactly the same as any other 1.6 non-vtec SOHC engine.

No problem and thanks for the pics :) Wasn't familiar with it cuz it's found nowhere outside UK I believe? Added it to wikipedia nevertheless. What about the other project car btw?

Thanks mate :)

the only costly bit is the Wide band O2 Setup which will be about Rs 30000/= ,

here is a list of approximate costs

Wideband O2 sensor +controler Rs 30000/=

EPROM programmer 6000/=

chipping kit Rs 1500-2000 (less if you buy individually)

Nokia cable Rs 150 ???

and an ECU + conversion harness if the car is an OBD2 of course

since this is vtec-e with the 12 valve thing going on ,I don't think I will be able get lot of extra power unless I go crazy with it.In fact I think it would be ideal to go the other way with this setup, ie going crazy with economy :D

You're welcome! :)

Well in our terms, I guess that IS a bit expensive, yet not too bad for UK nah? Atleast most things come with a warranty and straight from the factory. So do keep us updated on the crazy parts too :D

Anyway, just an idea, as your new project car has 1.5 VTEC-E SOHC engine, with a manual too, why not turn that into a N/A track car? :D Unless you're planning to sell that ofcourse. If not, it'd be a lot of fun for the weekends. And it already has more power than your D16B2 anyway, assuming it's the famous D15B. That's 110hp vs. 130hp stock, more than 10 years ago though. And auto wastes more power too.

Nope, it's not, it's Vtec-E :D

Nope, it's not, it's Vtec-E :D

I meant his second car? The one bought for the project?

Edit - He did say he bought a 1.5L manual cuz he didn't want to mess with the estate, but didn't tell what engine :o So I was just assuming, maybe a D15B, D15Z6 or D15Z8 :)

@AL998 - That engine model too please? :D

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Hehe you din't read OP's last post :P

and...

Hey that's some pretty nice DIY stuff there, guess not many would do those things here cuz the stuff necessary is a bit rare and expensive. Nevertheless, that's some good work, well done! :) Anyway, just an idea, as your new project car has 1.5 VTEC-E SOHC engine, with a manual too, why not turn that into a N/A track car? :D