• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Things To Check When Buying Corolla Ce110

fayas

:rolleyes: Hi

I came across a decent looking CE110 97, Auto, crystal light, Eng Num, Grey colour, mileage 122000 km

What are the things should I check Prior to buying, specially regarding the engine, should I check the engine is under-compressed or not, by just looking at the engine visually by a mechanic or should I run specific test in a garage.

If I should go to a garage in Colombo what are the things I should be aware of.

thanks in advance

Regards

Any Toyota experts please..

Definitely I am Not an EXPERT

BTW I guess the engine is a famous Toyota 2C engine and it has been sort of a proven engine for Toyota. My Carina has a 2C engine which only gave the trouble at 300,000km so I guess if the mileage is genuine it should be ok

This special model of the 2C engine is called the " Molli model" ( it is a term created by local mechanics) because of the special unit that contribute to the hydraulic braking system, and from that " molli" there is a feed back hose to the engine's air intake. So one thing to do is to see whether there are any black oil (engine oil) coming along that tube. you can see it when u detach it from the " molli". if there is significant amount of oil it says it is coming near the engine overhaul.

also if u get a chance to run the car have a considerable focus on the pull power.if you have to press hard on the accelerator and the engine makes a big noise it says something wrong. buy the way the pull power can be little less until the engine comes to it operating temperature.

Bro: also be alert on the green test since these diesel cars are more susceptible to failures. if the green test has not been done insitst the owner to get a one

alternatively you can go to agents with a prior appointment and can get the entire vehicle check including the ECU at a nominal fee . but get a second opinion if they recommend some thing serious

good luck

cheers

mike

:rolleyes: Hi

I came across a decent looking CE110 97, Auto, crystal light, Eng Num, Grey colour, mileage 122000 km

What are the things should I check Prior to buying, specially regarding the engine, should I check the engine is under-compressed or not, by just looking at the engine visually by a mechanic or should I run specific test in a garage.

If I should go to a garage in Colombo what are the things I should be aware of.

thanks in advance

Regards

Best thing is to go to the agent & have a full system check. They will give you a full report including what kind of expenses you will have to bare in near future. Make sure you have a test drive & check you satisfied with the car, prior to going to the agents.

Congratz mate...

YOM 97 means a 13 years old vehicle, therefore running a comprehensive testing procedure will always be beneficial.

Check all around the body for accident repairs and corrosions. I meant by accident repairs aren't small scratches, but large dents repaired with inferior quality work, excessive use of fillers, imbalances in the body shell as a whole. Pay more attention for the integrity of body than engine as engine can be even replaced with less hassle than trying to sort out issues related to body.

as for engine, check whether seller had recently washed the engine bay, if so start your inspection with bit of a suspicion. Check for marks of possible oil leaks whether there are any oil fumes like haze marks underneath the bell housing and underside of the engine. If found any and if they're from tappet cover packing and sump packing it can be a minor repair. But if there are any marks found elsewhere (from gasket, bell housing, t-belt cover it might demand a bit of lengthy repair). Check engine mounts specially coz it's a diesel and prone to vibrate more than a petrol.

Make sure to go on an early morning to inspect the car and gauge whether the engine had started and therefore hot when you open the hood/bonnet. If so I would suspect for under compression/possible starting issues and that's why the seller had started it early in the morning.

If it's cold and seems like not started in the morning, you can try to crank the engine, before glow light goes off (not recommended for daily usage, only for this test) Then gauge how well engine came into life. Whether it puffs any blue smoke and you can sniff and smell of unburned diesel. Possible signs of under compression as 2C/3C engines are popular for the fact that they can be started even in the morning without pre-heating, provided that engine compression is good.

Soon after the start check whether engine hesitates or vibrates excessively, if so possible signs of weak injector pump idle circuit/injector nozzles/under compression.

someone mentioned the breather hose checking and further take the dipstick out while engine is running and try to gauge the level of smoke, oil particles comes out from that. If it's small amount of fumes, that can be accepted but if it blows excessive amount of fumes together with oil particles then it's nearing an overhaul.

Give it a trial run to gauge the suspension system, may require some amount of experience to gauge suspension issues from a trial run, so take an experienced friend rather than taking a baas fellow, who will take some bucks from the seller and recommend the vehicle to you.

more importantly check whether interior is deteriorated and cracked. door panels and dash board material of this model are known to fade. Check whether they're faded and cracked and peeled off. Simply it's very hard to restore the originality of some interior components like dash board.

hope this helps and if I remember anything further, will edit this post.

• 9 years later...
On 8/17/2010 at 8:01 AM, SpeedyAsA said:

Best thing is to go to the agent & have a full system check. They will give you a full report including what kind of expenses you will have to bare in near future. Make sure you have a test drive & check you satisfied with the car, prior to going to the agents.

Congratz mate...

Please give a place where good agents are working