• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motor Bike Restrictions

Skyline R33

Lets hope cops are not on FB yet :)

I think they are on FB already and sometimes even lurking around the online motoring community :ninja: ....i think a 400 can be easily passed off as a 250 also given the size of the rider...

LOL

correct machan,but I have the greatest bike ever made(according to the discovery channel) at kelaniya...the supercub 50 :lol:

Would totally agree with that. I know two of these bikes and the owners used them for ever and put them through every possible thing and they still kept going! The MD 90 (the red one) is also a good bike. I have seen many fishermen and other guys use MD 90s and supercubs and they just kept going for ever, specially considering the way they were treated.

I think a 400cc is a tad easy to go pass the coppers...you'd get caught anything over that...

once saw a ducatti 1000 with reg plates near townhall ridden by a fat dude :P wonder how the bugger gets away with it...

might have been me going for a test ride :P

btw that ducati ended up in the hands of a fellow forum member :)

Adding to same.. If a car/bike imported for racing purposes only, doesn't it need to follow normal vehicle registration process?

You dont need to register a bike which has been brought down for racing purposes only.

But if you're going to convince the authorities about it at any point that its race machine & not even a tad bit street worthy, make sure it has race bodywork & appropriate tyres (slicks definitely will speak for themselves)..... it shouldnt have any lights, horns, key switch, pillion rider seat & footpegs ..etc.

I think they are on FB already and sometimes even lurking around the online motoring community :ninja: ....i think a 400 can be easily passed off as a 250 also given the size of the rider...

That's funny because I've been doing some work with some of the special investigations divisions on work related matters lately, and all they had to take down the entry was a godrej sinhala typewriter. There wasn't a computer in sight in the whole building, and makes me think the police IT department must be a shambles if it actually exists at all.

That's funny because I've been doing some work with some of the special investigations divisions on work related matters lately, and all they had to take down the entry was a godrej sinhala typewriter. There wasn't a computer in sight in the whole building, and makes me think the police IT department must be a shambles if it actually exists at all.

you gotta visit there HQ thing in fort passing the hsbc hq near the port! :D

there are loads and loads of comps and loads of cops on those comps...

no idea what they are doing and i was quite shocked to see so many coppers on comps :P

and mind you this was at least 7 years ago...

no idea what they are doing and i was quite shocked to see so many coppers on comps :P

They do have an IT dept and they have comps and some cops using and working on comps and more than that. In fact I had several batch mates from the same dept and had the luxuries of bullying high ranked officers therefore :D (only within that batch mate context though)

What they lack is a strong IT govern policy and networking of all what they have already.

I'm a cop n I'm coming to get you! EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!

you sound like a gay cop dude :P

i mean each and every one of us means that it's more than those who have HC bikes or anything like that :P:D

So can the same logic be applied when bringing down a car for track only use?

You dont need to register a bike which has been brought down for racing purposes only.

But if you're going to convince the authorities about it at any point that its race machine & not even a tad bit street worthy, make sure it has race bodywork & appropriate tyres (slicks definitely will speak for themselves)..... it shouldnt have any lights, horns, key switch, pillion rider seat & footpegs ..etc.

So can the same logic be applied when bringing down a car for track only use?

I dont so...unlike bikes, there isnt a 'restriction' on the engine capacity for cars you can import. Its just that you have to pay bucketloads of tax. And I presume the HC bikes too are taxed even though they are claimed to be jsut for track use...

I dont so...unlike bikes, there isnt a 'restriction' on the engine capacity for cars you can import. Its just that you have to pay bucketloads of tax. And I presume the HC bikes too are taxed even though they are claimed to be jsut for track use...

I havent heard of anyone talking about taxes for racing bikes. But I guess they may impose a tax in time to come.

Anyone??

I dont think there are any tricks involved. But I know for a fact that you have to apply for a permit from the defence ministry. That takes a while to be approved. Once you do that, all the relevant documents have to submitted to the customs "before" you import the vehicle. Then you pay the duty :D once the vehicle is brought down.

I got this info from a reliable source who got down a fully street legal HC bike.

Edited by shamitz

Damn, guess I was mistaken then. I haven't been there (unless you're talking about the CID HQ which is also somewhere there but had no comps in the area of the building I was in, or the large building where the City Traffic dept used to be at, also had no computers about 2 years ago - I am not sure if that's the place you're referring to either). Was at the fraud dept in wellawatta and they didn't even have a photocopy machine, leave alone a comp. All cases have to be manually searched by hand. At hundreds of cases a month, this obviously becomes very tedious very fast. However I must say that's one of the few times I was actually impressed by coppers as they have some very capable officers there.

They do have an IT dept and they have comps and some cops using and working on comps and more than that. In fact I had several batch mates from the same dept and had the luxuries of bullying high ranked officers therefore :D (only within that batch mate context though)

What they lack is a strong IT govern policy and networking of all what they have already.

Yep, hopefully they start maintaining proper networked databases in the future. I would like to see a high tech police department in the future

Edited by SeanD

I havent heard of anyone talking about taxes for racing bikes. But I guess they may impose a tax in time to come.

Are you sure dude. AFAIK the permit is just a permission slip to import something that is not admissabel to the country (in this case a bike higher than 350cc). You still ahve to pay custom duty and taxes.

About track day cars. You can use an illigally imported car as long as someone don't tip the SL customs (not too sure if the governing body can take action). Obviously it can't be registered for road use.

I dont think there are any tricks involved. But I know for a fact that you have to apply for a permit from the defence ministry. That takes a while to be approved. Once you do that, all the relevant documents have to submitted to the customs "before" you import the vehicle. Then you pay the duty :D once the vehicle is brought down.

I got this info from a reliable source who got down a fully street legal HC bike.

Thanks Shami. Getting this done legally is ideal so you don't have to look over your shoulder all the time. Good info.

About track day cars. You can use an illigally imported car as long as someone don't tip the SL customs (not too sure if the governing body can take action). Obviously it can't be registered for road use.

your absolutely correct its the same with HC bikes too. Even if its only for the track

Are you sure dude. AFAIK the permit is just a permission slip to import something that is not admissabel to the country (in this case a bike higher than 350cc). You still ahve to pay custom duty and taxes.

Leaving aside the HC bikes ... In the past, individuals who can prove that they are sportsmen (Not Businesses) have imported bikes like RS & TZ 125/250s & customs have not taxed them as they were for sports. I'm not sure if customs maintains the same stance on sports machines anymore.