• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motor Bike Restrictions

Skyline R33

I thought it was limited to 250cc? word of mouth here, I don't ride bikes so not sure what the actual limit is.

i havent seen it but wut i heard is the regulation states 349CC..the only reason i reckon 250CC is used as the yard stick is that the next available class of bikes are 400CC`s. exception is the old BSA and royal enfields type of bikes that came with 349CC engines..just my 2c ripper should be able to help out in more detail

Just was curious, if there was still a restriction on engine capicity of motorbikes in SL. I could remember that there was a 350cc rule. Does this still apply? I saw a picture of an R1 in CMB and was wondering. Cheers

dude SL is packed with high capacity bikes. The R1 u would have seen is one of many

Dude, What I was thinking is if the restriction is 350cc how come they are able to ride/import a 998cc R1 inside the country? :unsure:

this really isnt a good topic to be discussed on a public forum.... well lets just say they do end up coming to SL & they do end up being ridden on a daily basis too.....

this really isnt a good topic to be discussed on a public forum.... well lets just say they do end up coming to SL & they do end up being ridden on a daily basis too.....

and sometimes even get seized....

Dude, What I was thinking is if the restriction is 350cc how come they are able to ride/import a 998cc R1 inside the country? :unsure:

easy machan...undertakers are everywhere...if u want to see real bikes visit halawatha,negombo areas..and if u visit dont visit on an indian bike..u will be ashamed...(lol). :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:.

seriously machan..most guys register those bikes as 250c engines..just by offering some bucks to the vehical inspectors..this is not a secret..even the police knows the situation..that's why they carry out raids here and there..i saw couple of raided higher cc bikes @ kiribathgoda police couple of months back..during those days frequent police checkups was carried out to catch up the culprits..so thats the way it goes here machan........

I heard this restriction was relaxed/lifted when Ranil's was prime minister, and therefore there are few legal big bikes that were imported at that time.

If that's true these are probably the only big bikes which will carry the correct engine cc on the registration book

Another story I heard is they file off any markings (e.g. 600cc) on the engine and replace it with another number, and that it's accepted (maybe facilitated by some money) - but I guess it's not traffic police job to open up the cylinder and measure the bore size

I heard this restriction was relaxed/lifted when Ranil's was prime minister, and therefore there are few legal big bikes that were imported at that time.

If that's true these are probably the only big bikes which will carry the correct engine cc on the registration book

Another story I heard is they file off any markings (e.g. 600cc) on the engine and replace it with another number, and that it's accepted (maybe facilitated by some money) - but I guess it's not traffic police job to open up the cylinder and measure the bore size

Members,

Police have some BMW bikes with high capacity

If police suspect that Vehicle is not to import restrictions they get a Court order and send same to German tech at Ratmalana with some authority from RMV for a clarification.I know personally one importers Vehicle was tested in that manner.

Customs authorities had some problem with a leading importer few months back and all those vehicles was returned by a Court order without any Penalty. When Importer filed a case against Customs.

Wijesinghe

Edited by Sylvi

easy machan...undertakers are everywhere...if u want to see real bikes visit halawatha,negombo areas..and if u visit dont visit on an indian bike..u will be ashamed...(lol). :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:.

seriously machan..most guys register those bikes as 250c engines..just by offering some bucks to the vehical inspectors..this is not a secret..even the police knows the situation..that's why they carry out raids here and there..i saw couple of raided higher cc bikes @ kiribathgoda police couple of months back..during those days frequent police checkups was carried out to catch up the culprits..so thats the way it goes here machan........

Oh thanks for shedding some light on the subject we were totally clueless as to how this happens :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well I know that there are many illegal bikes which get into the country through the North Western part of the country :P . Thanks for all the replies. :)

Is there any particular reason for the 350cc rule or is it sumthing dumb like the tint law? the reason I was told is the Cop bikes are only 350cc and hence if some one has a bigger one and is trying to runaway from them, they cannot chase them :rolleyes: This might be incorrect as some one told this to me. I personally think restrictions on engine size is useless since one can't go that fast within City limits with all this traffic.

Well I know that there are many illegal bikes which get into the country through the North Western part of the country :P . Thanks for all the replies. :)

Is there any particular reason for the 350cc rule or is it sumthing dumb like the tint law? the reason I was told is the Cop bikes are only 350cc and hence if some one has a bigger one and is trying to runaway from them, they cannot chase them :rolleyes: This might be incorrect as some one told this to me. I personally think restrictions on engine size is useless since one can't go that fast within City limits with all this traffic.

The model of the earlier cop bike used to be Suzuki GS500.Hence the 350cc law came into action....but the GS500 was a shame to the engine capacity becoz a 125cc can out run them easily.... However the Sri lankan cops have now been given Indian 100CC bikes. so lets just hope they dont change da law & make da civilians ride 50cc bikes. with the way our cops ride bikes i dont think they can chase & catch a guy on a Mountain bike

The model of the earlier cop bike used to be Suzuki GS500.Hence the 350cc law came into action....but the GS500 was a shame to the engine capacity becoz a 125cc can out run them easily.... However the Sri lankan cops have now been given Indian 100CC bikes. so lets just hope they dont change da law & make da civilians ride 50cc bikes. with the way our cops ride bikes i dont think they can chase & catch a guy on a Mountain bike

Well said machan.. :D

There are alot of HC bikes in srilanka @ chooti putha True !!hehe Sl cops only know to press charges on the innocent riders.

our fellow presidents son's have some of the fastest bikes in srilanka including a 2009 honda cbr 1000rr .Well if you goto kurunegala you can find alot of HC bikes in negombo areas too because of the high amounts of foreginers around the area .Most bikes are bought down illegaly but every one knows it from customs to RMV to the police they all know it .But customs earns a good share from it just like these bud vehicles .I personally think atleast they should allow a 400cc restriction over that its too intimidating cos I see alotta rich kids with toys trying kill thereselves riding a 600 cc bike out of the blue .and most people just speed over 160 but a wise one would no how to control it at high speeds so will have higher rate of accidents and deaths in these small roads in srilanka .Other than the flat bikes the scramblers and supermotards are just fine they dont do much harm except for the wheelies ;)

There are alot of HC bikes in srilanka @ chooti putha True !!hehe Sl cops only know to press charges on the innocent riders.

our fellow presidents son's have some of the fastest bikes in srilanka including a 2009 honda cbr 1000rr .Well if you goto kurunegala you can find alot of HC bikes in negombo areas too because of the high amounts of foreginers around the area .Most bikes are bought down illegaly but every one knows it from customs to RMV to the police they all know it .But customs earns a good share from it just like these bud vehicles .I personally think atleast they should allow a 400cc restriction over that its too intimidating cos I see alotta rich kids with toys trying kill thereselves riding a 600 cc bike out of the blue .and most people just speed over 160 but a wise one would no how to control it at high speeds so will have higher rate of accidents and deaths in these small roads in srilanka .Other than the flat bikes the scramblers and supermotards are just fine they dont do much harm except for the wheelies ;)

Shehan_WCC,

In your post you mention that.our fellow presidents son's have some of the fastest bikes in Srilanka including a 2009 honda cbr 1000rr.

If one Srilankan is permitted to use high powered motor cycle I presume others too can import and use them.

Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Shehan_WCC,

In your post you mention that.our fellow presidents son's have some of the fastest bikes in Srilanka including a 2009 honda cbr 1000rr.

If one Srilankan is permitted to use high powered motor cycle I presume others too can import and use them.

Wijesinghe.

I am not trying to be political here. But we need to be practical. Normal law in the country will not apply to Politikko in a country like this.

There are so many examples to share.. but one basic example about the same person is that he hold MP position and Playing for Sri Lankan Navy Rugby team.. when he is not even a member of Navy.

oh well...not trying to show off or anything but long long years ago i out ran a copper bike on an 1989 nsr250 :P

i was going down kandy road "slightly" over the speed limit and these jokers wanted me to stop and they were trying to do that from the other side of the road... saw a big GS on my tail for like 10 seconds :P

I'm not surprised a good 125cc being able to outrun one of those...

and the other thing is those coppers are not exactly good riders...i doubt they will go as far as good rider would go in terms of risks that one has to take when riding fast

slightly OT

if one wants to keep a HC bike just for track days and to ride on private tracks...how does that work out?

can anybody just import a big bike?

slightly OT

if one wants to keep a HC bike just for track days and to ride on private tracks...how does that work out?

Adding to same.. If a car/bike imported for racing purposes only, doesn't it need to follow normal vehicle registration process?

oh well...not trying to show off or anything but long long years ago i out ran a copper bike on an 1989 nsr250 :P

i was going down kandy road "slightly" over the speed limit and these jokers wanted me to stop and they were trying to do that from the other side of the road... saw a big GS on my tail for like 10 seconds :P

I'm not surprised a good 125cc being able to outrun one of those...

and the other thing is those coppers are not exactly good riders...i doubt they will go as far as good rider would go in terms of risks that one has to take when riding fast

slightly OT

The NSR250 is a great bike specially the 1989. so im sure the cops wouldnt have known what hit them.

The answer for your second question is if we mortals need to own a HC bike its best to buy one already in the country. there are plenty to choose from