• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Spada Vt 250

niro123

Question

Hi

Thanking everyone in advance

Need some help with regards to repairing my bike :-)

Just bought a Honda Spada VT 250 bike a couple of days ago , Once the bike revs to about 6000 rpms in about the 4th gear there is a sputter sound in the engine, and its gone once the bike reduces speed / engine is idle. The bike is also terrible on fuel.

Is there anything i can do to find out what is wrong and is there a reliable place that i can get it fixed

Thanks

Niroshan

7 answers to this question

Hi

Just bought a Honda Spada VT 250 bike a couple of days ago , Once the bike revs to about 6000 rpms in about the 4th gear there is a sputter sound in the engine, and its gone once the bike reduces speed / engine is idle. The bike is also terrible on fuel.

Is there anything i can do to find out what is wrong and is there a reliable place that i can get it fixed

Thanks

Niroshan

Taking into account the non smooth engine and high fuel consumption my guess is the air/fuel mixture is off. Get the carbs cleaned and tuned by a good mechanic. Be carefull not to let a makabass mess up your carb. I'm thinking this has a single carb. If so this won't be a much difficult task. If you are handy you probably will be able to DIY this given you find a part diagram.

Also check the air filter or better replace it. Also since you bought it recently its advisable to check chain, sprocket, cables, do a coolant flush, change oil, check spark plug etc etc.

Edited by kumudug

Hi

Thanks

Niroshan

if the splutter is kinda like an engine miss fire sound... it can be either due to engine starving of fuel or air at higher revs...or the ignition related component is not firing as it should...

like kumudug said...start with the carb, fuel lines and even the fuel tap that connects to the tank etc...get them thoroughly cleaned up...

check and replace the air filter if necessary...

if the problem persists... check the sparkplugs...

at times they can be the culprit of many things that appear quite serious...

Hi

Thanks

Niroshan

"Just bought a Honda Spada VT 250 bike a couple of days ago , Once the bike revs to about 6000 rpms in about the 4th gear there is a sputter sound in the engine"-

sputter sound..is it a like a metal crashing sound? can u hear it continuously while u are @ 6000rpm..then stop the bike and make it to the neutral..remove the air filter and slowly rev close to 6000 for couple of seconds.. then give it a sudden rush towards 8000 rpm.. and keep it there for about 10 seconds.if u can not hear any thing u dont need to be worry.. other wise u need to take it to a good mechanic quickly..

................................................................................

"The bike is also terrible on fuel".

i will give u a small tip.. when u fill perol, fill it completely.then in the mean time u add petrol accordingly..dont ever let the petrol drain to the bottom..(this is a tip or a higher capacity carbulated 4 stroke bikes).......

well honda spata 250 generally do between 20 -30 kmpl..if u wanted a fuel efficient bike why on earth u went for a 250cc in the first place..u have to try suzuki gn125 if u want to have a Japanese fuel efficient bike..also if u want a japaneese 250 cc ,honda ax1 does more than 35kmpl if u drive sensibly.(close to 41kmpl)..so the best thing to do is catch a rabbit & sell it..even if u lose 10k or 15k u will be happy @ the end..

thanks for the input guys

"Taking into account the non smooth engine and high fuel consumption my guess is the air/fuel mixture is off. Get the carbs cleaned and tuned by a good mechanic "

I just got the carbs cleaned today and the fuel i should say has improved a bit , Before it did like 10 - 12 Km per litre. But Ive heard spada's do over 30 Km's . The problem is the "good mechanic" where can i find one of them :-) ,

Also got the spark plugs cleaned and the air cleaner as well , My guess is also that the air/petrol mixture has been screwed up. Any place where i could get this done.

"sputter sound..is it a like a metal crashing sound? can u hear it continuously while u are @ 6000rpm..then stop the bike and make it to the neutral..remove the air filter and slowly rev close to 6000 for couple of seconds.. then give it a sudden rush towards 8000 rpm.. and keep it there for about 10 seconds.if u can not hear any thing u dont need to be worry.. other wise u need to take it to a good mechanic quickly.. "

Yes it is the exact sound, Sounds like 2 metal plates crashing, I will try this today,

Thanks again guys. :-)

Peace

I just got the carbs cleaned today and the fuel i should say has improved a bit , Before it did like 10 - 12 Km per litre. But Ive heard spada's do over 30 Km's . The problem is the "good mechanic" where can i find one of them :-) ,

Also got the spark plugs cleaned and the air cleaner as well , My guess is also that the air/petrol mixture has been screwed up. Any place where i could get this done.

If you got your carbs cleaned the mechanic should have adjusted the air/fuel screw as well. Did the mechanic remove the whole assembly and cleaned or did he just removed the air filter box and sprayed from there. If thats the case its not a complete cleaning. Its better to get a complete cleaning and after that the air/fuel screw has to be adjusted.

If you got your carbs cleaned the mechanic should have adjusted the air/fuel screw as well. Did the mechanic remove the whole assembly and cleaned or did he just removed the air filter box and sprayed from there. If thats the case its not a complete cleaning. Its better to get a complete cleaning and after that the air/fuel screw has to be adjusted.

Hmm , im not that savy on bikes but he did adjust the pilot screw and the petrol jets,

In fact he did, he did removed the whole assebly and cleaned, THe fuel efficiency has improved a bit now, but the power of the bike has dropped :-), makes sense as he could've closed out the petrol jets.

The mechanic also removed both the tappet covers and adjusted the tappets and the timing chain ( auto adjusted) ,

About the Sputter noise ( sounds like two metal plates hitting) - its getting worse by the day :-( , But now it only happens at high rev's , and also before the bike heats up,

According to the mechanic , he says that the engine is screwed up, But i doubt it,

My bro sent this bike down to me from Japan as he had got it off an auction. The meter shows 20k and according to him it was the same reading there as well.

Any comments about taking it to Stafford Motors :-(, I have no other choice as i have been in the garage for the past 1.5 weeks :-(

Thanks in Advance

Niroshan