• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Heat Coil (orange)light Blinking

Aji

Question

Dear all

I purchased a Mazda Bongo Lion face) original Diesel van one month back., R2 Engine. YOM 2000.

In the dash board when switch on, all the lights come on. but orange colour bulb showing the coil comes off before hering the sound like "TIC". Again when accelerating the vehicle, this bulb is blinking. (do not blink just after start(at idle) till rase, but continue to blink once accelerate and even in idel running).

One mechanic told this is an indication of fuel system (may be Injector) proble. One told this is a problem in relay relevent to the heat coil.

Can you help me. This vehicle is doing about 12km with AC out of Colombo, but short running.

I am a Civil Engineer having above average knowledge in mechanical systems.

Thanks

AJI

12 answers to this question

Dear all

I purchased a Mazda Bongo Lion face) original Diesel van one month back., R2 Engine. YOM 2000.

In the dash board when switch on, all the lights come on. but orange colour bulb showing the coil comes off before hering the sound like "TIC". Again when accelerating the vehicle, this bulb is blinking. (do not blink just after start(at idle) till rase, but continue to blink once accelerate and even in idel running).

One mechanic told this is an indication of fuel system (may be Injector) proble. One told this is a problem in relay relevent to the heat coil.

Can you help me. This vehicle is doing about 12km with AC out of Colombo, but short running.

I am a Civil Engineer having above average knowledge in mechanical systems.

Thanks

AJI

first of all its defenetaly a heater coil realted issue.. the reason that it comes off is that. for diesel vehicles u need to heat before u ignite the engine... everytime u start the engine do not start it right away. put it into the "On" position and wait till the coil symbol turns off... the fact that this symbol turns off just before u start the engine means its working ok.. the reason for blinking might be a loose conenction or a realay issue.

but as i said.. diesle vehilcles should not be started right away. u should wait untill the heat coil symbol turns off..

Hi Aji

As Charith Says you got a problem with your electrical related may be bad relay or connection to the glow plugs

the light goes of with tick says , those plugs are hot enough to start your engine.if you start before it goes off it will not start

there is nothing to do with fuel system. go to a electrician he will solve this problem easily

don't spend money on fuel system.

thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Aji

As Charith Says you got a problem with your electrical related may be bad relay or connection to the glow plugs

the light goes of with tick says , those plugs are hot enough to start your engine.if you start before it goes off it will not start

there is nothing to do with fuel system. go to a electrician he will solve this problem easily

don't spend money on fuel system.

thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Sumith

Thanks. I will contact an electrician.

Ajith

Whilst what you try what is said above,

first Pls try what that mechanic said,

if your deisel filter gets blocked this could come up.

Then show it to a good electrician.

Is your vehicle a turbo, if there is a problem in the turbo too the same glow light could indicate.

Whilst what you try what is said above,

first Pls try what that mechanic said,

if your deisel filter gets blocked this could come up.

Then show it to a good electrician.

Is your vehicle a turbo, if there is a problem in the turbo too the same glow light could indicate.

glow light switch off with a click sound is in old diesels where glow plug timer is nothing but a relay which switches off when a bi-metal disconnects the current supply. In modern, lets say post '95 diesels this timer is comprehensive where it takes engine temp as an input and 'decides' should it heat glow plugs and if so for how long. So there could be instances where timer doesn't operate the relay at all since engine temp is sufficient the diesel engine to start. You don't hear click sound in above scenario and glow light would go off as soon as it lit. In some models glow light will appear in green. And as charitha mentioned if glow light indicates that it's heating glow plugs then you better wait till it goes off. Reason is it'll not do any harm to the engine but you're straining battery and entire system excessively as glow plugs draw a significant amount of current.

But as tikiri mentioned this can't be filter or turbo as they have different indicators.

Back to the main question,

is it blinking on completely random intervals? Or in equal intervals? If it's completely random then i would think some loose connection causes or if it's blinking equal intervals its either tells you that there's some wrong in the circuit or timer/relay continuously supplies current to the plugs.

glow light switch off with a click sound is in old diesels where glow plug timer is nothing but a relay which switches off when a bi-metal disconnects the current supply. In modern, lets say post '95 diesels this timer is comprehensive where it takes engine temp as an input and 'decides' should it heat glow plugs and if so for how long. So there could be instances where timer doesn't operate the relay at all since engine temp is sufficient the diesel engine to start. You don't hear click sound in above scenario and glow light would go off as soon as it lit. In some models glow light will appear in green. And as charitha mentioned if glow light indicates that it's heating glow plugs then you better wait till it goes off. Reason is it'll not do any harm to the engine but you're straining battery and entire system excessively as glow plugs draw a significant amount of current.

But as tikiri mentioned this can't be filter or turbo as they have different indicators.

Back to the main question,

is it blinking on completely random intervals? Or in equal intervals? If it's completely random then i would think some loose connection causes or if it's blinking equal intervals its either tells you that there's some wrong in the circuit or timer/relay continuously supplies current to the plugs.

Hi Harsha

I will explain the problem further more.

1. When switch ON coil (glow light) light appear . But it goes off before hearing the click sound.( In the morning, click sound comes about 10sec after the light went off.). I think in my case, this light goes off within 3-4 sec, irrespective of the heat of the engine, but click sound comes aaccording to the heat of the engine.

2.Because of above reason I feel that this light ( in my vehicle) does not indicate the heater plug heating.

3. It blinks exactly in the same interval (about On 1sec/OFF 1sec) continiously.

4. Other thing is it does not blink even after starting the vehicle, but only after press the accelerator(even in Neautral position). But it continue to blinks even after realeasing the accelerator once accelerated.(I feel this 4th point represents something related to the fuel system).

5. A good electricial ( I am dealing with over 15 years)told and show me that there is a DIAgnosis socket" in this vehicle and by connecting to a equipment(he said a scanner) I can find the problamatic place.But that electrician do not have the scanner.

Can you help me regarding the above 1 - 4 points

Thanks

Aji

Hi Harsha

I will explain the problem further more.

1. When switch ON coil (glow light) light appear . But it goes off before hearing the click sound.( In the morning, click sound comes about 10sec after the light went off.). I think in my case, this light goes off within 3-4 sec, irrespective of the heat of the engine, but click sound comes aaccording to the heat of the engine.

2.Because of above reason I feel that this light ( in my vehicle) does not indicate the heater plug heating.

3. It blinks exactly in the same interval (about On 1sec/OFF 1sec) continiously.

4. Other thing is it does not blink even after starting the vehicle, but only after press the accelerator(even in Neautral position). But it continue to blinks even after realeasing the accelerator once accelerated.(I feel this 4th point represents something related to the fuel system).

5. A good electricial ( I am dealing with over 15 years)told and show me that there is a DIAgnosis socket" in this vehicle and by connecting to a equipment(he said a scanner) I can find the problamatic place.But that electrician do not have the scanner.

Can you help me regarding the above 1 - 4 points

Thanks

Aji

Seems like some wiring mess has done on the pre-heating system and glow plugs seems to work as per the temperature of the engine. Further make sure there's no electrical supply (current flow) to the glow plugs after that click sound or after you start the engine.

Have you removed or someone had removed the thermostat valve by any chance and does engine runs under optimum temperature.

Does the light blink continually, or extinguish after a while? It could be indicative of a cold start, which means you're restricted to an rpm limit till the engine has fully warmed. Or it might also indicate a dead glow plug.

Does the light blink continually, or extinguish after a while? It could be indicative of a cold start, which means you're restricted to an rpm limit till the engine has fully warmed. Or it might also indicate a dead glow plug.

true, if someone removed the thermostat, engine might be running under optimum temperature and that can be another cause.

During the final drive of 100 km terrible, look at the orange light of pre-heating (as a coil) is a Dashboard Mk 6 Transit began to flash. The engine was fine and there were no other problems visible or audible signal. I managed the van home (we were only a few kilometers) and tried to start the engine again. It started for the first time and now it seems to light. In fact, the van seems to be working correctly now.

During the final drive of 100 km terrible, look at the orange light of pre-heating (as a coil) is a Dashboard Mk 6 Transit began to flash. The engine was fine and there were no other problems visible or audible signal. I managed the van home (we were only a few kilometers) and tried to start the engine again. It started for the first time and now it seems to light. In fact, the van seems to be working correctly now.

Hi.

Please tell what is your model. Also tell us the reason for blinking, if found.

Ajith