• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Unusual Tire Wear

Killer-B

Question

Guys I noticed unusual tire wear in my car recently, the tread wear is normal there is no excessive wear in the tire tread.

I took the tire out, and it just couldn't stay straight, it was slanted outwards, here I've added some pics to make myself clear, I cannot really explain it in words :unsure:

image1903m.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

image1901.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

as you can see there is no excessive tread wear

Looks like I would have to do a wheel alignment, guess its excessive camber on suspension? Any thoughts on this guys?

Edited by Killer-B

On 8/3/2017 at 0:00 PM, Davy said:

Can you explain how that will solve the issue?

Loss of about 10% loss or 3 PSI of air pressure every two weeks seems a lot. It may be from the tyre valve.

http://tiresciencetechnology.org/doi/abs/10.2346/1.2150984?code=tire-site&journalCode=tist

Edited by jerryda

3 hours ago, jerryda said:

Loss of about 10% loss or 3 PSI of air pressure every two weeks seems a lot. It may be from the tyre valve.

http://tiresciencetechnology.org/doi/abs/10.2346/1.2150984?code=tire-site&journalCode=tist

Valve Replacement

Since rubber deteriorates over time and tire valves are not expected to resist deterioration for the life of two standard tires in normal service, tire valves should be inspected and replaced if any cracking appears. As a rule of thumb, the industry recommends replacing tire valves whenever new tires are installed.

While Track & Competition DOT tires may only last several weekends on your track driven racecar, the metal clamp-in tire valves should be replaced every other year because the heat transmitted to the wheels from the brakes is significantly greater than that experienced in normal service.

15 hours ago, jerryda said:

Loss of pressure isn't the issue here. It's chunking as seen in the photo above. And under-inflation usually causes even wear close to the sidewalls of the tyre.

Also, the article in your link says 1.5 PSI loss is for 32C ambient temperature which applies to car that sits in a garage all day. An asphalt road can heat up to twice that much which is more likely what applies to a car that's driven daily in the hot Sri Lankan climate. As the article correctly says,  this heat causes exponential air loss. The remedy is to check and maintain tyre pressure weekly. 

• Like 1