• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Unusual Tire Wear

Killer-B

Question

Guys I noticed unusual tire wear in my car recently, the tread wear is normal there is no excessive wear in the tire tread.

I took the tire out, and it just couldn't stay straight, it was slanted outwards, here I've added some pics to make myself clear, I cannot really explain it in words :unsure:

image1903m.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

image1901.jpg

as you can see there is no excessive tread wear

Looks like I would have to do a wheel alignment, guess its excessive camber on suspension? Any thoughts on this guys?

Edited by Killer-B

QUOTE (Killer-B @ Jul 31 2010, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys I noticed unusual tire wear in my car recently, the tread wear is normal there is no excessive wear in the tire tread.

I took the tire out, and it just couldn't stay straight, it was slanted outwards, here I've added some pics to make myself clear, I cannot really explain it in words :unsure:

image1903m.jpg

image1901.jpg

as you can see there is no excessive tread wear

Looks like I would have to do a wheel alignment, guess its excessive camber on suspension? Any thoughts on this guys?

My guess is that the wires ['kambi'] inside the tyre is broken.

QUOTE (Killer-B @ Aug 1 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Machang both the front tires are in the same state...... could this happen in both the tires at the same time? and any way that I could confirm this?

I'm sure a good mechanic at a tyre place would confirm this.

The only way i know is - when you drive the car very slowly - there is a small wobble. [when it happened to me the first time - i thought there was a slight engine miss :) - the garage owner got into the vehicle and within a few meters he found the prob]

Also it doesn't matter whether there are threads on the tyre or only a low mileage [i.e a new tyre] --- if you do not use the car for long periods - this tends to happen. I think there is an expiry date on tyres - although i haven't bothered to look for it.

Edited by mirage7777

Hi Mate

You get a camber alignment problem,go to a good alignment place

they may advice you to do alignment(if they can adjust it) or else they will ask for

pre prepare repairs .

thanks

Regards

sumith

Will do, as soon as I get the "funds" ;)

I'm sure a good mechanic at a tyre place would confirm this.

The only way i know is - when you drive the car very slowly - there is a small wobble. [when it happened to me the first time - i thought there was a slight engine miss :) - the garage owner got into the vehicle and within a few meters he found the prob]

Also it doesn't matter whether there are threads on the tyre or only a low mileage [i.e a new tyre] --- if you do not use the car for long periods - this tends to happen. I think there is an expiry date on tyres - although i haven't bothered to look for it.

Haven't quite experienced a wobble or maybe I just didn't happen to notice.

Replaced all four tires last week at Amila Auto - Dehiwala

They did a wheel balancing and alignment.. But the wheel aligment was manual - not computerized

Whn driving i feel d car pulls to the left

What shall i do?

Better plc in colombo tht does a good job in wheel align?

They did a wheel balancing and alignment.. But the wheel aligment was manual - not computerized

What shall i do?

Check your tyre pressures 1st, and go on a level road and see, if its still the same, yeah try a computerized wheel alignment place.

edit. oh and also, check your brakes Just in case there's any kind of brake bind.

Edited by virensti

What shall i do?

The usual place of mine for wheel alignment, turned to manual laser wheel wheel alignment. Previously they used computerized thing. They are still having them. When I ask about it they said that this is newer,better and peoples choice and if I am willing they can do it in older/computerized method.

Guys, what do you know about this thing. These people screw us with some fancy gadgets and words.

Guys any idea why I get wear like this? Both the sides of the front tires are like peeling off. Rears are fine. 205/55/16 dunlop sportmaxx manuf 2012. The middle of the tire shows even, normal wear. I keep a consistent 35psi and align every 5k.

IMG_20170729_104032.jpg

On 30/07/2017 at 4:28 AM, c1nder said:

Guys any idea why I get wear like this? Both the sides of the front tires are like peeling off. Rears are fine. 205/55/16 dunlop sportmaxx manuf 2012. The middle of the tire shows even, normal wear. I keep a consistent 35psi and align every 5k.

It's called "chunking" and caused by various reasons including excessive heat, aggressive driving, deteriorated tyre compound and incorrect camber/toe. 

In your case I think your tyres are at the end of their lifetime. 5 years sounds about over the limit especially in Sri Lankan conditions.

Edited by Davy
Removed quoted image

10 hours ago, c1nder said:

it is a fact that all your tires are 5+ years old (technically expired). but you said that rear tires are fine. anyway you have to change the tires. but it is good to check for bad tie rods (inner and outer both).

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not that much of an aggressive driver except for an occasional spirited run. It's an e46, RWD so shouldn't the rear shred? The pressure tag states

Unloaded

front: 32
rear: 38

and for a more under load setup:

front: 38
rear: 45

So I went for an average. I guess it's tire age then. Tie rods are ok, checked. Shocks are new. As I said, aligned every 5k. Time to fork out some cash for new rubber :'(

Edited by c1nder

1 hour ago, c1nder said:

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not that much of an aggressive driver except for an occasional spirited run. It's an e46, RWD so shouldn't the rear shred? The pressure tag states

Unloaded

front: 32
rear: 38

and for a more under load setup:

front: 38
rear: 45

So I went for an average. I guess it's tire age then. Tie rods are ok, checked. Shocks are new. As I said, aligned every 5k. Time to fork out some cash for new rubber :'(

On a RWD rear and front should wear out almost evenly if you gentle with the throttle, if you are aggressive the rear should wear out faster.

As rubber gets older it gets harder and starts to crack, i see some slight shredding on the outside line also.

You might want to check out your camber, maybe too much negative camber.

19 minutes ago, The Stig said:

On a RWD rear and front should wear out almost evenly if you gentle with the throttle, if you are aggressive the rear should wear out faster.

As rubber gets older it gets harder and starts to crack, i see some slight shredding on the outside line also.

You might want to check out your camber, maybe too much negative camber.

Yeah it's there on both the outer and inner edges on both front wheels. Ok I'll do another alignment at a new place other than my usual tyre team kohuwala this time. Heard good things about macro auto tech near raththanapitya junction.

Although drive goes to the rear, there is a considerable amount of force exerted on the front wheels under braking and cornering. Braking especially because the weight of the car is shifted to the front. If the tyres are old and brittle, chunking can happen. However, since we can't rule out suspension issues, I agree to getting alignment checked once more (special attention to negative camber and toe out).

You might want to swap the rear wheels to the front after a balance before the alignment, just to make it easier to observe wear and to minimise risk of a blowout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, c1nder said:

Yeah it's there on both the outer and inner edges on both front wheels. Ok I'll do another alignment at a new place other than my usual tyre team kohuwala this time. Heard good things about macro auto tech near raththanapitya junction.

Usually outer wear is related to underiflation. You sure that you maintained tyre pressure at recommended psi right? 

3 hours ago, The Stig said:

Usually outer wear is related to underiflation. You sure that you maintained tyre pressure at recommended psi right? 

That's what i thought too. But I check it every 2 weeks. All tires had lost about 3psi on average when I check.