• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cvt, Automatic Or Manual Transmission?

kalana

I prefer driving manuals but not on traffic congested roads such as Galle Road specially morning rush and evening rush!!! I hate driving automatics out in the country specially for overtaking manouvers and driving in the hill-country where I want the gear changes directly under my command. So striking a balance, having the best of both worlds?????.....tiptronic!!!!!

Edited by CJ5

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer driving manuals but not on traffic congested roads such as Galle Road specially morning rush and evening rush!!! I hate driving automatics out in the country specially for overtaking manouvers and driving in the hill-country where I want the gear changes directly under my command. So striking a balance, having the best of both worlds?????.....tiptronic!!!!!

But there's always a small lag between the time you shift and the time the gear actually engages. Some I have driven seem to have this more prominently than others. I'm yet to drive one which is as immediate as a manual..then again, I haven't driven that many :(

But there's always a small lag between the time you shift and the time the gear actually engages. Some I have driven seem to have this more prominently than others. I'm yet to drive one which is as immediate as a manual..then again, I haven't driven that many :(

I have owned/driven four tiptronic vehicles ( three Mitsubishis and one Nissan) and did not feel any delay in engaging in any of them. However it does not give the same feel as having full control with a clutch and a manual shift, there is definitely a bit of a compromise but not as bland as a fully automatic.

Edited by CJ5

I have owned/driven four tiptronic vehicles ( three Mitsubishis and one Nissan) and did not feel any delay in engaging in any of them. However it does not give the same feel as having full control with a clutch and a manual shift, there is definitely a bit of a compromise but not as bland as a fully automatic.

Yes, something is better than nothing. I only switch to manual when I go offroad and it does help to keep the vehicle in low gears when you push through a sticky situation. But I always feel it hang on a gear for a couple of seconds after I shift up. I've driven a Fiat (I don't remember which car) which I distinctly remember was much much worse. It was so bad, that was all that I remember of it.

BTW, how does the manual override on CVTs work? The Nissan Altima behaves rather well in manual.

I have driven both manual and autos. Currently driving vehicle with CVT transmission.

For me, best driving pleasure is when driving a manual. Dat feel you get when accelerating and switching gears quickly is pretty much unmatched in an auto.

But thats not to say Auto/CVT is boring. There is loads of fun to be had there too. One thing I have learned about CVTs though is that if you don't do the oil change properly you are pretty much screwed. I try to flush mine at least every 15000km.

then the only choice is a R35 GTR :D