• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dslr Prices

yes it's an option I had. but isn't it 100+? which is a bit more than what I can stretch.

IMHO it's better to collect the cash & put it to better use as hard as it may seem :) you'll probably outgrow the 1100D in a year, whereas the 550D will have more features that would serve you better in the long run.

Members,

I am not a fool or a moron at 68 years I never lie to any body, nor want to increase my post counts. There are few members in this forum who do not like my posts.

One member who used this my **** th, post, is not posting any posts now. I have never written about my post counts, not at all interested in getting any payment to my self from this forum. I have enough wealth for another generation if my only child Daughter & her husband do not ruin them after and my wife's death.

My intention is to share my knowledge to other motorists and help them number of times I have offered free of charge to members to do small Electrical repairs.

Yes I complained on the request of the Moderator, he has advised not to reply any posts which insult me, to reply by my self. To report to him. I respect his advice.

I have replied with due respect to the member Gyimam with all details where I Got those prices I do not want to give bogus information to the forum.

I do a automobile service which is very necessary to the automobile industry successfully form 1992. To date.Which is a International franchice

I want to inform members I have Inherited wealth to live a comfortable life.

I do a automobile service which is very necessary to the automobile industry successfully form 1992. To date.

I do not call my self as a Hon Member, I am a blue color worker with International exposure.

Who started my Electrical engineering carrier worked in my late father,s work shop in late 1950's for 30.00 Rupees for a month,

Repairing Magnetos, Dynamos, Self starter motors. to do this I have to lie down on Galle road front of my work shop which situated in 1950s, facing Galle road.

At that time there was no motor traffic on Galle road like now days . At present a new Commercial building has come up which I own.

I still live there, do my business behind that new building to help automobile community.

If any day Moderator wants me not to post I will stop posting I will honestly resign from this forum. I respect fully address all members.

I never address any member in unwanted manner. That is because of the education I got from 1st class college in Ceylon.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi don't talk thinks you don't know. You are misleading forum members by talking things you are not aware of. If you are posting a price list of a place you know, you should've given proper reference. That is how its done here.

MkX,

This is a Automobile forum

This DsLr Prices, topic was discused for more than one year now. Actchualy this should discuss on a Photographic forum, not on a Automobile forum.

I have done Photography for more than 60 years.But not a professional photographer. I visited a photographic equipment shop they had the DsLr equipment.

I got some prices and some imformation from then then only I posted the content to the forum which I collected from them.

My intention was not to mislead any member I did explain to member Gyiman about my post. What do I gain by miss leading members.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

MkX,

This is a Automobile forumThis DsLr Prices, topic was discused for more than one year now. Actchualy this should discuss on a Photographic forum, not on a Automobile forum.

I have done Photography for more than 60 years.But not a professional photographer. I visited a photographic equipment shop they had the DsLr equipment. I got some prices and some imformation from then then only I posted the content to the forum which I collected from them.

My intention was not to mislead any member I did explain to member Gyiman about my post. What do I gain by miss leading members.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

1- We have never had a problem about discussing non-automotive topics on AL. May it be photography or fishing or pre-schools for children or even house building. And if its something that shouldnt be discussed here why did you post in that thread? are you not contradicting yourself?

2- Here we go again. 60 years of experience blah blah blah. You're like an old broken record now. Can you back up your story with facts or the truth rather than your 50 years of experience crap.

3- your intention may not have been to mislead people, but what you said is a BIG lie (saying that canon/nikon lenses are interchangeable) which DOES mislead people. So ultimately you would have misled them if other members didnt point it out.

As for your other long irrelevant post of garbage rambling, i shall not comment on this. You have brought down the value of this thread enough already. So we'd all appreciate it if you didnt post any more crap here. And if you have something to say to me please PM me. I too have tried PMing you but your inbox is full or something and i cannot do so. So please clean that and then PM me for any further issues you might have regarding me rather than run crying to the moderator all the time.

I saw an ad in today Lankadeepa for Canon EOS 1100D. Discounted to Rs. 75,000/-. From well reputed company in Sri Lanka.

yes thats what I posted. they are the dealers, so..

anyway I went ahead and bought a 550D from Ebay. for almost the same price sans the accessories

yes thats what I posted. they are the dealers, so..

anyway I went ahead and bought a 550D from Ebay. for almost the same price sans the accessories

Congrats on your buy :) You getting it shipped here?

Sylvi, I'm not even gonna bother with your points coz I'm not that jobless. But Watchman makes two very valid points. You posted something completely wrong, and you are bringing down the value of this thread with irrelevant garbage. We aren't interested in your family history. If you have nothing worthwhile to post on this thread, stay out of it.

I saw a thread where miniace had asked something from you, why don't you spend some time on that.

Also, for the record, there have been plenty of photography threads here as there are plenty of people interested in automobile photography, which makes it quite a relevant topic for an automobile forum. Speaking for myself, it was automobile and racing photography that got me into the subject in the first place!

• Like 1

What's everyone's take on buying used/refurbished equipment? Mainly lenses.

Well, IMO, lenses dont depreciate as much as bodies do; especially a lens in good condition. The lens might not be sold unless the owner is upgrading or the lens has had fungus or is in bad condition. So based on this I think lenses range in price quite a bit. So you got to be lucky to get a good deal. As I remember ripper got a nice deal on a 2nd hand 70-200L few months back. But in Sri Lanka I dont think lenses move hands that much. And buying online without inspecting it might be too risky.

I bought my 50mm F/1.8 new cos the price difference between new-used was about $10-15 and i figured i'll buy a new one with the warranty. I never needed the warranty though. But when I upgraded to a 50mm F/1.4 I got a 2nd hand for $430 whereas a new one would have been about $600. It didnt have a warranty and I only did a physical check for fungus when buying. The seller gave me 3 days personal warranty, but since everything worked fine when fitted to the body I never called the guy again.

The only thing I would be a bit worried about when buying 2nd hand would be a flash, cos you never know how much its been used, despite the seller claiming it was "used only a few times"

So anything in particular you're looking at?

Edited by Watchman

My take is, I prefer to get bodies new (prefer to have max shutter life) and don't mind the concept of used lenses. There is a good reason lenses hold value.

But thats just me and I've never actually bought a used lens. Two times I tried, I missed it.

The only think I would be a bit worried about when buying 2nd hand would be a flash, cos you never know how much its been used, despite the seller claiming it was "used only a few times"

Oh right, forgot about the flashes. Completely agree with what Watchman has said.

yes. hasn't been shipped yet. probably take a week to arrive i guess. then let's see about duty. it cost 640$ with 18-55mm IS

Congratulations. Please let us know the duty and the total cost.

Buying camera equipment on eBay has its risks, I practically have bought all my camera equipment on eBay including an ff body. The only used item I bought was a ef24-105 lens but asked the seller a lot of questions. About the condition of the lens, service history? if so are the receipts available? any damages or has it been dropped before. The seller might not always be honest with the answers but if you have some kind of correspondence and if the item is not as described, you have the EBay resolution centre to sort out any problem and it will be much easier with the correspondence to back your complaint. A Few tips. Go for sellers with a lot of stars and a lot of positive feedback re item described and check feedback from Previous transactions.

After two years of using the lens without any problems the aperture diaphragm busted and had to Be replaced. Having said that this is my work horse lens and that was expected. £100 for replacing and servicing a L lens wasn't too bad I thought..

Edited by Overdrive

Well, IMO, lenses dont depreciate as much as bodies do; especially a lens in good condition. The lens might not be sold unless the owner is upgrading or the lens has had fungus or is in bad condition. So based on this I think lenses range in price quite a bit. So you got to be lucky to get a good deal. As I remember ripper got a nice deal on a 2nd hand 70-200L few months back. But in Sri Lanka I dont think lenses move hands that much. And buying online without inspecting it might be too risky.

I bought my 50mm F/1.8 new cos the price difference between new-used was about $10-15 and i figured i'll buy a new one with the warranty. I never needed the warranty though. But when I upgraded to a 50mm F/1.4 I got a 2nd hand for $430 whereas a new one would have been about $600. It didnt have a warranty and I only did a physical check for fungus when buying. The seller gave me 3 days personal warranty, but since everything worked fine when fitted to the body I never called the guy again.

The only thing I would be a bit worried about when buying 2nd hand would be a flash, cos you never know how much its been used, despite the seller claiming it was "used only a few times"

So anything in particular you're looking at?

Machan looking at getting a 70-200 as well not sure if it would be the f2.8 IS though unless there is some amazing deal & the condition is as good :) . Considering the f4 IS, there was a great deal at B&H on a lens that was used for display/demo purposes for less than $1000 but it's gone now... ;(

I wouldn't really buy a used body or flash unless I knew the person I suppose & on how it was used. Problem with some of the deals on eBay is that they don't allow overseas bidders on some of the deals.

My take is, I prefer to get bodies new (prefer to have max shutter life) and don't mind the concept of used lenses. There is a good reason lenses hold value.

Well, the thing most likely to give out on a body is the shutter right. And at the range that you and I use its tested for about 150k shots. So its unlikely it'll give out. Even the lower end ones are tested for about 50k. And a shutter replacement is about Rs.10k as I know. So even if you factor that in as a expense when buying a 2nd hand body sometimes its still more value-per-dollar.

Machan looking at getting a 70-200 as well not sure if it would be the f2.8 IS though unless there is some amazing deal & the condition is as good :) . Considering the f4 IS, there was a great deal at B&H on a lens that was used for display/demo purposes for less than $1000 but it's gone now... ;(

I wouldn't really buy a used body or flash unless I knew the person I suppose & on how it was used. Problem with some of the deals on eBay is that they don't allow overseas bidders on some of the deals.

Well, between the f/2.8 and f/4 its fairly obvious which is better, but considering your needs and budget the most suitable can be either. If yo're planning to buy this kinda lens 2nd hand, best is to get in touch with some of the professionals cos they are more likely to let go of high end lenses for newer versions. Ripper probably give you more info on that. And join flickr Lanka. There's a for-sale thread on it that you might want to keep track.

As for 2nd hand bodies, peri you and I may agree to disagree. My 40D and 7D were both bought 2nd hand at pretty big bargains. And even if I did a shutter replacement, I'd be up on the deal. But once again personal preference.

Why don't you take a look HERE. And getting something from s'pore isnt that hard ;)

Well, the thing most likely to give out on a body is the shutter right. And at the range that you and I use its tested for about 150k shots. So its unlikely it'll give out. Even the lower end ones are tested for about 50k. And a shutter replacement is about Rs.10k as I know. So even if you factor that in as a expense when buying a 2nd hand body sometimes its still more value-per-dollar.

10k seems a very decent price for a shutter change. Is this done here? If that's the case, might be worthwhile to consider buying a used FF (at some point) & have the replacement done.

10k seems a very decent price for a shutter change. Is this done here? If that's the case, might be worthwhile to consider buying a used FF (at some point) & have the replacement done.

This was quoted for a 40D some months back by Canon S'pore. And I think m-politain also send more complex jobs to s'pore

Well, between the f/2.8 and f/4 its fairly obvious which is better, but considering your needs and budget the most suitable can be either. If yo're planning to buy this kinda lens 2nd hand, best is to get in touch with some of the professionals cos they are more likely to let go of high end lenses for newer versions. Ripper probably give you more info on that. And join flickr Lanka. There's a for-sale thread on it that you might want to keep track.

As for 2nd hand bodies, peri you and I may agree to disagree. My 40D and 7D were both bought 2nd hand at pretty big bargains. And even if I did a shutter replacement, I'd be up on the deal. But once again personal preference.

Why don't you take a look HERE. And getting something from s'pore isnt that hard ;)

Ya machan the full stop offered by the 2.8 would be great, I read comparisons virtually everyday.. I'm trying to start making some cash out of this, if i don't they are both going to have wait for a long time :) Right now looking at what would be the best option though. I have spoken to a few pro's & they haven't had anything (worthwhile) for disposal at the moment.

Thanks for the info on the group & the link dude.

Really depends on what you want to use it for. Daytime outdoor, the new 70-300L might be better. Or even the 70-300 non-L. Personally, if its just for fun, I'd just take a 55-250.

Heck a buddy was showing me at lunch that a 200mm 2.8L is just some $800.

For non-pro use, even the Sigma and Tamron 70-200 2.8s are under $1000. If all you're doing is posting on FB, it probably won't make too much difference.

In the meantime, after a serious discussion, my new targets have been set. Need to do some reading, since its not the direction I had researched, but should be interesting :)

I'm glad to tell you that I received my 550D today. Actually it got shipped here in less than 2 days by DHL but our good old SL friends took a whole day to bring it to my home.

Had to pay a small duty fee.

Now I have to buy a memory card. waiting to see if I can find a temporary one while i order a class 10 card from ebay. :)