• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dslr Prices

What's everyone's take on buying used/refurbished equipment? Mainly lenses.

I got Canon Rebel XT (350D) and used 18-55mm lens about 3,4 years back. The seller had his own rating system where he explained his rating in the description. And it was quite informative. According his his own rating body was in one rating below his best. And it was in very good condition.

However he rated his lens in 3rd or 4th level.. the photos took from that lens had small patch on it. Anyhow the total both items send with combined shipping and cost me less than 50K at that time. After about 2 weeks i've got a deal and sold it to 52K rupees.

I'm glad to tell you that I received my 550D today. Actually it got shipped here in less than 2 days by DHL but our good old SL friends took a whole day to bring it to my home.

Had to pay a small duty fee.

Now I have to buy a memory card. waiting to see if I can find a temporary one while i order a class 10 card from ebay. :)

hi NPP how much was the Duty fee? I've paid 9K for DHL .. and it was about 3yrs back. Would you mind telling the tax percentage. And i guess it was charged on both item value + shipping. Thats how they usually do that.

When I got my RebelXS it was like 50% - 100%. Later that year budget specifically reduced tax on digi cams.

hi NPP how much was the Duty fee? I've paid 9K for DHL .. and it was about 3yrs back. Would you mind telling the tax percentage. And i guess it was charged on both item value + shipping. Thats how they usually do that.

When I got my RebelXS it was like 50% - 100%. Later that year budget specifically reduced tax on digi cams.

Sorry I tried to send u a PM but couldn't

roughly it was around 7.5 % of the declared value

Edited by NPP

Sorry I tried to send u a PM but couldn't

roughly it was around 7.5 % of the declared value

That's quite good, what was the invoice value? And did the shipper mark it as 'gift'? I have been hearing mixed stories on the amount of duty being paid.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude, if you want full manufacturer compatibility with i-TTL and CLS, then buy the proper Nikon stuff. Even third party flashed that claim compatibility have to reverse engineer and come up with their own algorithms, so it might not work as well as the real deal. This will be especially true for the CLS part.

Anyway, manual is better, if you're up to it. The thing with any auto system, be it i-ttl or Canon's E-TTL, depends on pre-flashes. I hate pre-flashes, it means longer re-cycle time. Its a necessary evil for Canon's own wireless system, but I don't use that in situations where I need quick recycle times. I personally almost never use E-TTL.

Also, one of my buddies tried a Nissin. Its good stuff, but can't take the workload of a pro-wedding photog. For casual use, yeah. And I've seen a couple of guys who use them in the club-party photography scene. Again, a situ where you don't typically need a lot of pops quickly.

• 3 years later...
80D was announced at $1199. 70D is running about Rs140-150 new right now.

I might sell my 70 and 450D and go for the 80.

i cheched a review on it from DigitalREV didnt seem much of a impovement over the 70D except the focusing points. is it worth it?

i cheched a review on it from DigitalREV didnt seem much of a impovement over the 70D except the focusing points. is it worth it?

For one thing, DigitalRev is a terrible place to look up Canon gear, they are Nikon fanboy's thru and thru. They don't even bother hiding it.

Do you mean not worth the upgrade?

For me - The focusing system alone is worth the upgrade, the coverage range and the sensitivity both look quite a significant bump. The upgraded focusing on the 70D was a big reason for me to move from my 60D to the 70D. The Wifi seems upgraded, and the addition of NFC is something I personally like, a lot. There is also a mirror vibration control system in this, which is a nice upgrade. There is an improved metering sensor. It includes the anti-flicker tech that was announced in the 1DX Mk II. The other telling thing will be the how clean the images are once the ISO starts going up. I have no fear shooting 1600 ISO on the 70D, Lightroom does a good job of clearing that noise, but cleaner originals are always better. There is some hope of improved dynamic range as inherited from the 1DX MkII sensor tech too, but too early to tell.

The thing to keep in mind is, this is coming at the same price point as the 70D came at. And the 70D is still an extremely capable camera so it should be possible to sell for minimum loss, and get the upgrades for maybe adding about Rs. 20k. That would be acceptable for me. More than that, it starts getting iffy.

Thing is, this suits my requirements. Both my primary cameras include WiFi coz downloading onto a smartphone without interrupting the photographer while the shooting, and putting out DSLR quality pics on social media to show how the event is progressing is a competitive advantage. I can pull out a few shots, do some minor edits, make a collage and add effects on my tab, and upload straight to twitter or FB or instagram or whatever. I actually touched on these points 3 years ago in an article I wrote - http://techwire.lk/wireless-technology-in-photography/ Followed up with this - http://techwire.lk/samsung-galaxy-camera-in-focus/

The video additions are nice for ppl who use those features. I know there are lots of ppl crying about 4k, but the fact is, Canon just hasn't upgraded the whole bucketfull at once. There are definite additions, so its an upgraded video package, not some kinda downgrade. And the focusing there looks damn good too. CanonUSA youtube channel has a bunch of videos showing it in action.

Also, outside of wedding people, in SL, 4k use is not huge. Local context, it can wait for the next camera upgrade, coz even if ppl think having a 4k wedding video is great, there just wouldn't be that many screens to view it on.Then you'd most likely end up viewing it on a downsized screen. So unless you are thinking future-proof - about viewing your wedding video on a 4k screen 10-15 years from now, its not practical.

Besides, if you wanna provide your clients a 4k video package, you should be getting a proper video camera, not a DSLR which will only shoot about 30mins at a time. And I don't even know how much diskspace 30mins of 4k footage will take.