• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dslr Prices

Hi Guys I did read the threads thats discuss about buying a DSLR in SL.

I also want to buy a DSLR. and my budget is 60 000 :unsure: .

I like to know about new prices after the Tax reduction.

I heard that tax of 113% had decrees in to (10-8)% so i think its beater to get DSLR from SL.

please give me some advise on this.

Im thinking of buying Canon D 1000/ Rebeli XS or Nikon 3000D

with 18/55 lence. :rolleyes:

I also want to buy a DSLR. and my budget is 60 000 :unsure: .

I heard that tax of 113% had decrees in to (10-8)% so i think its beater to get DSLR from SL.

with 18/55 lence. :rolleyes:

I got my Rebel XS (D1000) about year ago. Good buy and Kit lens also provides good qulity pics. Saw it in #####. around 60K.

There was another thread where someone asked about DSL prices and sugestions.. i think that thread had the same name too.. did you try searching the site?

Ah thanks machan , just saw that thread.

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?showtopic=8637

I did ceck on this section and that thread was in lounge secton. Anyway i got lot of info from that thread. B)

• 1 year later...

Does anyone has hands on experience with Nikon D5000? I've noticed most reviews says this series does not have an Auto Focus motor built in. I thought focusing comes with the lens instead of the body.

Anyhow, I'm looking for an upgrade to my Rebel XS. Planning to buy the body only and find telephoto range lens later.

Another option I have is Canon EOS 500D.

Does anyone has hands on experience with Nikon D5000? I've noticed most reviews says this series does not have an Auto Focus motor built in. I thought focusing comes with the lens instead of the body.

Anyhow, I'm looking for an upgrade to my Rebel XS. Planning to buy the body only and find telephoto range lens later.

Why not just go with the Canon 500D if you're just buying the body only, as its compatible with any lenses you may already have? It doesn't really make much sense to flip between the two brands as between the Nikon and the Canon there's not a whole lot of difference between the two except for the flip out screen on the Nikon.

But more importantly, why upgrade at all? If I were you I'd save some coin and hang on to the XS as its a decent platform for most scenarios. Why not just spring for whatever lens you have your eye on and keep the Canon XS till you're ready to upgrade to a 5D ?

I also want to buy a DSLR. and my budget is 60 000 unsure.gif .

with 18/55 lence. rolleyes.gif

Nikon D3100 is the latest. It is a good entry camera. Very user friendly. In Sri Lanka people has a bias to Cannon something similar to bias to Toyota........

But Nikon is really good and both Cannon and Nikon claim 1st and 2nd spot moving between both giants.

By the way I do advice you to think of a Camera ith Exposure bracketing, as this will help for High Dynamic range photos. All Digital shit lack of good Dynamic range. Specially if you are coming from reel camera age, you will find low dynamic range as a big headache.

For camera reviews this is a good site.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM

Personally I do like the interface of Nikon over Cannon.......very user friendly and logical........

Nikon D3100 is the latest. It is a good entry camera. Very user friendly. In Sri Lanka people has a bias to Cannon something similar to bias to Toyota........

But Nikon is really good and both Cannon and Nikon claim 1st and 2nd spot moving between both giants.

By the way I do advice you to think of a Camera ith Exposure bracketing, as this will help for High Dynamic range photos. All Digital shit lack of good Dynamic range. Specially if you are coming from reel camera age, you will find low dynamic range as a big headache.

For camera reviews this is a good site.

http://www.imaging-r...ce.com/MFR1.HTM

Personally I do like the interface of Nikon over Cannon.......very user friendly and logical........

http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM

If you use canon dont change to Nikon for the heck of it. Stay Canon. And yes you're right. The Nikon D5000 can autofocus only if the lens is AF-S. Older AF lenses wont work. I used to use a Nikon D40x,and moved to a Canon 40D when I was upgrading.

Edited by Watchman

But more importantly, why upgrade at all? If I were you I'd save some coin and hang on to the XS as its a decent platform for most scenarios. Why not just spring for whatever lens you have your eye on and keep the Canon XS till you're ready to upgrade to a 5D ?

No offence dude, but that's horrible advice!!!

1- The 1000D (or XS) is a very primitive camera as opposed to the 5D. Though it might make financial sense, its not like that in real life. In that case why not use your camera phone until you can afford a 5D. I have transitioned from a 350D to a D40x to a 40D to a 7D. Leaving the Nikon aside, even between the Canons there's a fair bit of a learning curve. So incrementing in steps helps.

2- Why would you ask him to get a 5D? Cos not everyone wants/needs the benefit of a full frame.

3- If I'm not mistaken the 400D has the same 10mp sensor as the 40D. And I can tell you from experience that its high time for an upgrade. I've done some low light shoots with my 40D and a borrowed 550D and under the same conditions and with the exact same lense, the 550D snaps with ease while the 40D suffers with noise and slower shutter speeds. My point being newer technology DOES make a big difference. And even between my 40D n 7D the quality is worlds apart, but the 7D has the advantage of newer technology and being a level higher.

Dude, what's your budget? and are you planning to buy it in SL or do you have a way of getting it down to SL?

You should also look at the 2nd hand market. Camera bodies loose value as soon as you buy it (as brand new) so if you can find a lightly used body you'll save a bundle of cash. And you wont loose a lot when selling again.

The s'pore 2nd hand market is quite vast in that sense. Take a look and see if you can find something good/cheap.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-sell-canon-equipment/

The main reason I'm looking for new camera is that my brother is start using my rebel XS as his secondory camera and he really like the ease of taking a good pics with it.

my budget can stretch from 50,000 - 150,000 (depends on who I purchase, the body only or with lens)

The reason I look for Nikon is that new range D3000 - D5000 seems more affordable and easy to use. However from Canon side i'm femilier with 500D. And not sure what other models available at Entry level DSLRs.

Most likely I will go for ebay because they don't charge much tax here at local customs (not sure if this changed at last budget. But previous budget they've reduced tax on cameras if i'm not mistaken)

Edited by MkX

Well, if you're ok with buying brand new that's good too!

At the lower end of your budget, you got the 500,550 n 600D. Operations/buttons wise the 500,550 and 600 all are nearly identical, though 600 might be a bit different with its flip screen. But since they are all of the same range you should get used to them within a few hours of usage. And with the 600 entering the market the 550 went down in price a bit, so If I were you i'd go for that. In fact I'm looking for a bargain 2nd hand 550D myself, though not in a hurry.

But at the top end of your budget is the 60D. Quite nice too, considering you're upgrading from the XS.

Btw if your brother uses Canon dont you think it'd be better to get a Canon too. You guys can share lenses, flashes etc.

PS: I'm not saying Canon's better than nikon (cos we all know how those debates end up going), just that given your situation and background Canon just makes more sense.

If your bro is also using Canon, I suggest you stay with the Canon. A very underrated part of the SLR experience is equipment sharing.

Ahem. BS. You'll find plenty of people using both brands. And one thing both brand users will agree is that Canon has better agents in Sri Lanka, but since most people get stuff from abroad, that doesn't really count for much.

Although AL shooters do seem more biased towards Canon. Sorta strange, since Nikon probably has more options on the wide side.

Anyway, switching brands is a nightmare. Major things are similar, but fine tuning things is a pain when you have to learn a new menu system, and the fact that Nikon lens turn the other way to zoom annoys me no end. But if you only shoot on auto it wont matter anyway.

Btw if your brother uses Canon dont you think it'd be better to get a Canon too. You guys can share lenses, flashes etc.

Great minds think alike :)

CR is carrying news that we might see some new flashes. Since Nikon just released a 910, this seems even more likely. Can't wait :D deffa in the market for more light options. Tho maybe I should just get some big studio strobes....

Or elinchrom. If I want to totally loose my shirt...

Yes.. I guess the Canon is more feasible option for me. Even i'm now getting used canon features little. One main reason I was attracted to Nikon is the newer range of cameras and its price.

And I think canon 550d and 600 falls with in my budget range so i will check on those models.

Yes.. I guess the Canon is more feasible option for me. Even i'm now getting used canon features little. One main reason I was attracted to Nikon is the newer range of cameras and its price.

And I think canon 550d and 600 falls with in my budget range so i will check on those models.

The newer range of cameras?? :huh:

The newer range of cameras?? :huh:

What I meant was Nikon D3000/D5000/D7000 was introduced around year 2010 isn't it? And D70, D90 was before 2008 if i'm not mistaken.

Edit: err.. or is it use of word "NEWER" :unsure:

Edited by MkX

No offence dude, but that's horrible advice!!!

1- The 1000D (or XS) is a very primitive camera as opposed to the 5D. Though it might make financial sense, its not like that in real life. In that case why not use your camera phone until you can afford a 5D. I have transitioned from a 350D to a D40x to a 40D to a 7D. Leaving the Nikon aside, even between the Canons there's a fair bit of a learning curve. So incrementing in steps helps.

2- Why would you ask him to get a 5D? Cos not everyone wants/needs the benefit of a full frame.

3- If I'm not mistaken the 400D has the same 10mp sensor as the 40D. And I can tell you from experience that its high time for an upgrade. I've done some low light shoots with my 40D and a borrowed 550D and under the same conditions and with the exact same lense, the 550D snaps with ease while the 40D suffers with noise and slower shutter speeds. My point being newer technology DOES make a big difference. And even between my 40D n 7D the quality is worlds apart, but the 7D has the advantage of newer technology and being a level higher.

No offence taken 'Watchman'- Thanks for pointing things out in a logical manner so I can respond.

1. I haven't really used any of the earlier SLR camera's (except for a Nikon D40x loaner off a friend to figure out whether I wanted an SLR) and consider my current Canon 500D quite basic. In this circumstance I didn't (and really still don't) see why one would 'upgrade' to it from the XS. If there really was a need to upgrade- I'd just leapfrog it and buy at the semi-pro level instead of the entry level. As for your comment about going from a camera phone to a 5D; well- that's classic! I did something like that, albeit not as extreme as your example: I went from using a Samsung e747 (which is super basic) for as long as it worked and then bought an android smart phone a couple of months ago. I love the smart phone and can't think of going back now but at the time, I really didn't see the need to upgrade until the old one died.

2 & 3. I see a huge difference in the quality of my pictures after an upgrade in lenses. Drawing on my experience I figured for 'MkX' it'd be better to hang on to the current camera and invest in a good quality lens rather than upgrading to a newer crop-frame sensor with a bit more versatility in low light. Most basic users (including myself) don't really benefit from that do they? However an upgraded lens makes an immediate difference.

Why the 5D? Well that's what I would get in this scenario rather than another entry level SLR. If I were 'MkX': I'd hang on to my basic SLR; slap a 70-200mm 2.8L IS on it, and use it for a while to figure out whether I really did need to upgrade. If I did, I would move into something like a 7D or 5D where there's a major difference (I include the 7D for sake of argument, I would actually swing for the 5D mark 2, for its sensor and its video capability) rather than make incremental upgrades as I go along; for unlike lenses, there really isn't much of a market for used camera bodies is there? Lenses (especially well cared for high-end ones) you can always sell, but IMO, once you buy a camera body you're stuck with it for a bit unless you're willing to sell it at a significant mark down.

Anyways, I'm glad you guys are jumping in to steer 'MkX' onto the straight and narrow. I mean that's what forums are for right? To sample many opinions from many backgrounds in order to pick the one that makes the most (logical or situational) sense...

Edited by Kavvz

No offence taken 'Watchman'- Thanks for pointing things out in a logical manner so I can respond.

1. I haven't really used any of the earlier SLR camera's (except for a Nikon D40x loaner off a friend to figure out whether I wanted an SLR) and consider my current Canon 500D quite basic. In these circumstances I didn't (and really still don't) see why one would 'upgrade' to it from the XS. If there really was a need to upgrade- I'd just leapfrog it and buy at the semi-pro level instead of the entry level. As for your comment about phones; well- that's classic: For I went from using a Samsung e747 (which is super basic) for as long as it worked and then bought an android smart phone a couple of months ago. I love the smart phone and can't think of going back now but at the time I really didn't see the need to upgrade until the old one died.

2 & 3. I see a huge difference in the quality of my pictures after an upgrade in lenses. Drawing on my experience I figured for 'Uocanu' it'd be better to hang on to the current camera and invest in a good quality lens rather than upgrading to a newer crop-frame sensor with a bit more versatility in low light. Most basic users (including myself) don't really benefit from that do they? However an upgraded lens makes an immediate difference.

Why the 5D? Well that's what I would get in this scenario rather than another entry level SLR. If I were 'Uocanu': I'd hang on to my basic SLR; slap a 70-200mm 2.8L IS on it and use it for a while to figure out whether I really did need to upgrade. If I did, I would move into something like a 7D or 5D where there's a major difference (I include the 7D for sake of argument, I would actually swing for the 5D mark 2, for its sensor and its video capability) rather than make incremental changes as I go along. As unlike lenses there really isn't much of a market for used camera bodies is there? Lenses (especially well cared for high-end ones) you can always sell, but IMO once you buy a camera body you're stuck with it for a bit unless you're willing to sell with a significant mark down.

Anyways, I'm glad you guys are jumping in to steer 'Uocanu' onto the straight and narrow. I mean that's what forums are for right? To sample many opinions from many backgrounds in order to pick the one that makes the most (logical or situational) sense...

True, upgrading to a 500 from a 1000 doesnt make much sense as the 500's already that old. But the 550 is a better balance between being new and being cheap. But looks like the OP can go for a 550 or 600, so I guess he might as well, right...

Yes I agree a good couple of lenses does make a difference when it comes to sharpness and quality. But IMO, the body still has a greater say when it comes to low-light situations. And frankly for someone who might not be doing photography on a prof basis, or is knee-deep in cash, the 5D really is unnecessary, then add all the full frame lenses you have to sink more cash on. And you dont need a 5D these days to get video, a 550 does it just as well :)

Yes bodies depreciate a fair bit, which is exactly why I told the OP he should buy 2nd hand. I got my 40D for SGD800 about 1.5 years ago and I can still get about SGD700 for it, as opposed to a then brand new 40D which went down from SGD1400 to about SGD 900.

Anyway everyone has the right to their own opinion. Everyone looks at a problem form their own budget, their own shooting style, and their most common/popular subjects. Even Peri and I have our own disagreements when it comes to what equipment is best etc.. Almost everything in photography is qualitative and cant be quantified into numbers, so these debates will go on...

In the meanwhile it looks like our OP has made up his mind :)

What I meant was Nikon D3000/D5000/D7000 was introduced around year 2010 isn't it? And D70, D90 was before 2008 if i'm not mistaken.

bro, you DO know that Canon has had a bunch of new models that were released during this time right?

Ah, you mean you like Nikon's newer cameras, not that you think Nikon has the newer offerings on the market. That would have been ironic, since Nikon only put out a D5100 this year, where Canon has put out the 600D, 1100D and announced the 1Dx. Even last year Canon has put out the 550D and 60D, while Nikon released the D7000 and D3100.

But then, its not been a great time for camera releases with the earthquake in Japan.

Why the 5D? Well that's what I would get in this scenario rather than another entry level SLR. If I were 'MkX': I'd hang on to my basic SLR; slap a 70-200mm 2.8L IS on it, and use it for a while to figure out whether I really did need to upgrade. If I did, I would move into something like a 7D or 5D where there's a major difference (I include the 7D for sake of argument, I would actually swing for the 5D mark 2, for its sensor and its video capability) rather than make incremental upgrades as I go along; for unlike lenses, there really isn't much of a market for used camera bodies is there? Lenses (especially well cared for high-end ones) you can always sell, but IMO, once you buy a camera body you're stuck with it for a bit unless you're willing to sell it at a significant mark down.

Dude, I speak as someone who generates some income from this sorta thing. There are only two reasons to go for a 5D. Either you need it for the income generating work you do, or you have money to burn and a LOT of passion on the subject. Even 5D classic bodies are still over $2000. Waste of money.

A 7D is the absolute limit for a casual shooter, even then, for a casual shooter, its just coz he doesn't know what to do with his money. The funny thing is, personally, I've never thought "I really want that" at the 7D or the 5D. I have the same sensor on my 60. There are improvements on the 7, but its not in areas that I use, and I wouldn't want to trade in having the features for the weight. Try carrying the 7D with a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 580 stuck on for a few hours, and you'll appreciate what I mean. I've shot with the 1Ds Mk III, and I want THAT. Can't even begin to justify tho. Maybe the 1Dx.

Of course, if you have too much money and are willing to throw it at Canon, I don't mind. Means they can put more cash into R&D and bring down costs, the benefits which pass onto us :D