• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 406

jami

Price would be 1 million to 1.3 million for a late model (facelift). The higher end of the spectrum will be full option, leather interior and it excellent condition. The lower would be a cloth interior in decent condition with a few scratches hear and there. Never driven a peugot so I can't help you with the fuel consumption question.

Is it a good idea to go for a 406 as a daily driver ? I always thought that its a good option to go for more than most of the Jap cars in that range. :unsure:

for a person who drives about 30-40km per day ?

Is it a good idea to go for a 406 as a daily driver ? I always thought that its a good option to go for more than most of the Jap cars in that range. :unsure:

for a person who drives about 30-40km per day ?

Well for a daily driver you need to factor in the cost of repairs and spares. From what i've been reading the 406 is not the best on petrol, on top of that you will pay far more for spares than on a common jap car. When everything comes to play I think a wise choice would have been a japanese car. But then again, for 1-1.3 million the 406 will be the best looking car you could get and it may be the most comfortable car in the price range. As the saying goes; "you can't have the cake and eat it too."

Well for a daily driver you need to factor in the cost of repairs and spares. From what i've been reading the 406 is not the best on petrol, on top of that you will pay far more for spares than on a common jap car. When everything comes to play I think a wise choice would have been a japanese car. But then again, for 1-1.3 million the 406 will be the best looking car you could get and it may be the most comfortable car in the price range. As the saying goes; "you can't have the cake and eat it too."

So "jdnet", Shall we suggest him "Nissan Presea"? Which is the best looking in the category,

spare parts are available. (Match to FB14), Comfortable, Sporty(options like frame less glasses). He may even try for

2000 model. (Presea Refina. The1996 Model is CTII)

Any issue with this guys?

Edited by Uditha88

considering it with Japanese it only depends on 2nd hand market and the fuel consumption, but in case of comfort my ides is 406 is in a high place. i want to know the fuel consumption of it?

So "jdnet", Shall we suggest him "Nissan Presea"? Which is the best looking in the category,

spare parts are available. (Match to FB14), Comfortable, Sporty(options like frame less glasses). He may even try for

2000 model. (Presea Refina. The1996 Model is CTII)

Any issue with this guys?

a pretty interesting car....... but now the model is out of market is it..?

Let's wait for Harshana's comments as he is quite conversant with 406. So far I have not heard many complaints from 406 owners. For sure it is very comfortable and looks much much better and elegant than the Japs in the same price range. It also gives you a good image. So even if the claims of high cost of maitnenance + high cost of fuel are true, if what you want is the comfort, prestidge and good looks I am sure 406 will be a sensible option. Anyway let's wait for Harshana's feedback.

How the Peugeot 406 burn fuel? what is the consumption? is it same as the Nissan primera?

what is the price range?

Fuel consumption depends on the engine capacity and the engine model. 1.8 ltr L6A engine is bit hungry and returns only about 8 kmpl in average city traffic. In outstation driving it can deliver as much as 14 kmpl. 2.0 ltr engines usually deliver about 9~10 kmpl in city driving and on outstation driving it's again somewhere around 12~13 kmpl, slightly less than 1.8 version. There are very few 2.0 ltr HPI cars around which returns almost 15kmpl on city traffic due to the different fuel injection method used. This I don't have any first hand experience but my mechanic had told quite confidently and which makes sense because in ordinary fuel injection it's injected to intake manifold as in HPI engine it's directly injected into the combustion chamber similar to GDI and diesel direct injection.

Price would be 1 million to 1.3 million for a late model (facelift). The higher end of the spectrum will be full option, leather interior and it excellent condition. The lower would be a cloth interior in decent condition with a few scratches hear and there. Never driven a peugot so I can't help you with the fuel consumption question.

A decent specimen of 406 D9 (face lift) model would be somewhere around 1.4 to 1.5 mil. What is available on the lower end are less equipped and poorly maintained ones. For an example there are D9s available without rear power shutters, climate control, auto wipers and built in sound system etc. The ones priced at 1.5mil usually have full option with auto wipers, climate control with digital display A/C controls, side air bags, built in security system and immobilizer with remote key etc. The higher end of the spectrum is the Executive grade which has loads of features.

Let's wait for Harshana's comments as he is quite conversant with 406. So far I have not heard many complaints from 406 owners. For sure it is very comfortable and looks much much better and elegant than the Japs in the same price range. It also gives you a good image. So even if the claims of high cost of maitnenance + high cost of fuel are true, if what you want is the comfort, prestidge and good looks I am sure 406 will be a sensible option. Anyway let's wait for Harshana's feedback.

Not much of complains on regular basis but if it calls for a repair, you're bound to carry out a comprehensive repair by replacing with original spares. Quick fixes, short cuts will make your life more miserable and brand new parts aren't 'that' expensive. As you said right, it's a pay-off for the recognition, comfort and added safety you would have on this car.

Fuel consumption depends on the engine capacity and the engine model. 1.8 ltr L6A engine is bit hungry and returns only about 8 kmpl in average city traffic. In outstation driving it can deliver as much as 14 kmpl. 2.0 ltr engines usually deliver about 9~10 kmpl in city driving and on outstation driving it's again somewhere around 12~13 kmpl, slightly less than 1.8 version. There are very few 2.0 ltr HPI cars around which returns almost 15kmpl on city traffic due to the different fuel injection method used. This I don't have any first hand experience but my mechanic had told quite confidently and which makes sense because in ordinary fuel injection it's injected to intake manifold as in HPI engine it's directly injected into the combustion chamber similar to GDI and diesel direct injection.

A decent specimen of 406 D9 (face lift) model would be somewhere around 1.4 to 1.5 mil. What is available on the lower end are less equipped and poorly maintained ones. For an example there are D9s available without rear power shutters, climate control, auto wipers and built in sound system etc. The ones priced at 1.5mil usually have full option with auto wipers, climate control with digital display A/C controls, side air bags, built in security system and immobilizer with remote key etc. The higher end of the spectrum is the Executive grade which has loads of features.

Not much of complains on regular basis but if it calls for a repair, you're bound to carry out a comprehensive repair by replacing with original spares. Quick fixes, short cuts will make your life more miserable and brand new parts aren't 'that' expensive. As you said right, it's a pay-off for the recognition, comfort and added safety you would have on this car.

thanks for the detailed reply, so if it does 14kmpl, it same as the corrolla? does it?

thanks for the detailed reply, so if it does 14kmpl, it same as the corrolla? does it?

come rush hour traffic corolla would not even dream of 14kmpl!!! i don't buy that mechanics word that a peugeot 2L engine car can deliver 14kmpl in colombo rush hour traffic. then this particular car would have been the most astonishing revelation of it's class. last time i checked no 406 was ever considered a most astonishing revelation in fuel economy in it's class. even while running in city with relatively lower traffic 14kmpl is bit over the top.

but on the question of general fuel economy of 406. my uncle had a 2L exec version and it did quite well. i mean 8-9 kmpl in rush hour traffic. for that class that is decent.

come rush hour traffic corolla would not even dream of 14kmpl!!! i don't buy that mechanics word that a peugeot 2L engine car can deliver 14kmpl in colombo rush hour traffic. then this particular car would have been the most astonishing revelation of it's class. last time i checked no 406 was ever considered a most astonishing revelation in fuel economy in it's class. even while running in city with relatively lower traffic 14kmpl is bit over the top.

but on the question of general fuel economy of 406. my uncle had a 2L exec version and it did quite well. i mean 8-9 kmpl in rush hour traffic. for that class that is decent.

if you go through my reply i've mentioned that

my mechanic said that only HPI 2l engine delivers that figure. Not the usual 2l version. Couldn't speak to an HPI version owner as there's only a handful available on our roads. Will keep you updated on that.

i don't buy that mechanics word that a peugeot 2L engine car can deliver 14kmpl in colombo rush hour traffic.

Well I guess it all comes down to the terms “city traffic” and “colombo rush hour traffic”. 'City traffic' fuel figures published by car companies can be very much optimistic over 'Colombo rush hour traffic' figures. :D

if you go through my reply i've mentioned that

my mechanic said that only HPI 2l engine delivers that figure. Not the usual 2l version. Couldn't speak to an HPI version owner as there's only a handful available on our roads. Will keep you updated on that.

please be updated that i don't think that ANY 2L 406 is capable of delivering 14kmpl in rush hour traffic in sri lanka. furthermore i also think that if ever there were such a 406 then that 406 would have gone down in the history books as the most fuel efficient car in it's class by quite a margin!

please be updated that i don't think that ANY 2L 406 is capable of delivering 14kmpl in rush hour traffic in sri lanka. furthermore i also think that if ever there were such a 406 then that 406 would have gone down in the history books as the most fuel efficient car in it's class by quite a margin!

if it does.......... it is the best car in the road :)

Guys what you think of 1998 Purgeot Diesel car?

what would be the prices and maintainer cost?

Ive heard it does excellent in fuel

you're refering to the pre face lift 406 diesel with non hdi engine. Prices would vary from 1.3 to 1.7 mil depending on the options and reg number. Hdi turbo version does so well on fuel than this and has very good performance. However, if it calls for repairs it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

Edited by harshansenadhir

Thnx Harshana,

That means in long run better to have a petrol 406,isnt it?

its my opinion comparing cost of spares and engine overhaul kits. But that shouldn't disgrace peugeot diesels, specially 406 diesel which is very popular in uk for fuel efficiency.

Tried to make a long story short. Here i go with some details.

non hdi version is bit under powered, noisy, rough but ecu is very simple, mechanical fuel injection and mechanical diesel pump, spares are interchangeable with the 405 diesel spares and some mahendran parts, such as cam shaft, pistons.

Hdi version is everything electronic, common rail direct electronic injection fully controlled by ecu and ethrottle, turbo gives you petrol equal if not better performance with top speed of 250kmph, slightly higher than the petrol counter part's top speed.

However maintenance over here could be expensive over the petrol one (obvious).

Rubber mixed crank pulley is prone to wear out and costs about 30~40k. Dual mass clutch is another killer which will cost around 80k to replace.

• Like 1

its my opinion comparing cost of spares and engine overhaul kits. But that shouldn't disgrace peugeot diesels, specially 406 diesel which is very popular in uk for fuel efficiency.

Tried to make a long story short. Here i go with some details.

non hdi version is bit under powered, noisy, rough but ecu is very simple, mechanical fuel injection and mechanical diesel pump, spares are interchangeable with the 405 diesel spares and some mahendran parts, such as cam shaft, pistons.

Hdi version is everything electronic, common rail direct electronic injection fully controlled by ecu and ethrottle, turbo gives you petrol equal if not better performance with top speed of 250kmph, slightly higher than the petrol counter part's top speed.

However maintenance over here could be expensive over the petrol one (obvious).

Rubber mixed crank pulley is prone to wear out and costs about 30~40k. Dual mass clutch is another killer which will cost around 80k to replace.

thanks indeed :)

how about Peugeot 307??? my father is planning to buy one. there's a 2004 brand new car in immaculate condition. it has done only around 36000km. but the owner is quoting 2.5mn for that car. is it worth to buy a 307 for that price???