• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 406

jami

how about Peugeot 307??? my father is planning to buy one. there's a 2004 brand new car in immaculate condition. it has done only around 36000km. but the owner is quoting 2.5mn for that car. is it worth to buy a 307 for that price???

my view is that price is too much..... :huh:

how about Peugeot 307??? my father is planning to buy one. there's a 2004 brand new car in immaculate condition. it has done only around 36000km. but the owner is quoting 2.5mn for that car. is it worth to buy a 307 for that price???

search in the forums, there was a thread on 307 and i've responded with some of known issues of the car. It's not as solid as 406 or even 206 for that matter. However, it has loads of features and 2.5 is way too much.

btw how was the car???? is it a troublemaker???

Car was really good, comfort, handling, features etc...

Auto gearbox (generally Peugeot Auto's I think is not the best)

had an issue once at Dambulla and had to send it back to CMB in a carrier

Car was really good, comfort, handling, features etc...

Auto gearbox (generally Peugeot Auto's I think is not the best)

had an issue once at Dambulla and had to send it back to CMB in a carrier

Stay away from AL4 gearbox at any cost. They came with 307, 406 face lifted and some later 206's. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any other Peugeot Auto boxes except AL4 which was a recall and a failure.

• 2 weeks later...
Check this ad : http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=34117

Looks one awesome ride, but sadly a d9 and not the HPI version.. Isn't 1.95mil too pricey??

You prefer a D8? And I thought the HPI version was quite rare here.

Few people (inc. a mechanic from Carmart) advised against a automatic 406 - apparently a lot of people have had some expensive repairs on them...

I was looking for 406's for a while, executives were going at 1.85 upwards (imported used from UK, very hard to find brand new imported executives) before the duty reduction. I think this guy is trying to get the money it was worth a few months ago :)

that said, it's hard to estimate the price drop in european cars, since the duty reduction hasn't resulted in a glut of unregistered european cars entering the market.

You prefer a D8? And I thought the HPI version was quite rare here.

Few people (inc. a mechanic from Carmart) advised against a automatic 406 - apparently a lot of people have had some expensive repairs on them...

I was looking for 406's for a while, executives were going at 1.85 upwards (imported used from UK, very hard to find brand new imported executives) before the duty reduction. I think this guy is trying to get the money it was worth a few months ago :)

that said, it's hard to estimate the price drop in european cars, since the duty reduction hasn't resulted in a glut of unregistered european cars entering the market.

HPI version is quite rare, yes and again a yes for the autobox issue as you never know when it'll pop up and remedy is quite expensive as much as buying an AE100 ;). That's why I've mentioned that price is high for an auto. Further, not all 406/Peugeot autoboxes had/having this issue. It's the phase II 406 AKA D9 and Phase II 206 and 307. Models which came with AL4 gearbox.

there's no or hardly any price drop in the market below 3.0 mil mark. Was searching a FB15 for a friend throughout and the best deal could nail was 1.725 mil for a 99 Ex Saloon.

there's no or hardly any price drop in the market below 3.0 mil mark. Was searching a FB15 for a friend throughout and the best deal could nail was 1.725 mil for a 99 Ex Saloon.

Isn't it more a case that the price drop is most evident in newer (3-4 years old) cars, because they would directly compete with unreg. recon's?

whereas if you were looking at a 7-10 year old saloon your budget would probably still not stretch for a recon (of similar engine cc etc.)

there will be a cascading effect - e.g. the person who was earlier able to afford a 4 year old car might up his budget a bit and go for a 3 year recon (or use this as an argument to negotiate the price down)

this reduces demand for 4-5 year old cars, the price drops and makes it attractive for people who were otherwise considering 6-8 year old cars, who pay a bit more and get a newer car instead

and so on... but it will take time for that pressure to extend back in time, especially cos there is very little price transparency in the market.

if your friend is not in a hurry, might be better to wait... (btw my boss has a B15 EX auto, not sure of the year, but reg is GN, done 140k+ and he would be more than happy to sell for 1.725 :D )

Isn't it more a case that the price drop is most evident in newer (3-4 years old) cars, because they would directly compete with unreg. recon's?

whereas if you were looking at a 7-10 year old saloon your budget would probably still not stretch for a recon (of similar engine cc etc.)

there will be a cascading effect - e.g. the person who was earlier able to afford a 4 year old car might up his budget a bit and go for a 3 year recon (or use this as an argument to negotiate the price down)

this reduces demand for 4-5 year old cars, the price drops and makes it attractive for people who were otherwise considering 6-8 year old cars, who pay a bit more and get a newer car instead

and so on... but it will take time for that pressure to extend back in time, especially cos there is very little price transparency in the market.

if your friend is not in a hurry, might be better to wait... (btw my boss has a B15 EX auto, not sure of the year, but reg is GN, done 140k+ and he would be more than happy to sell for 1.725 :D )

yeah cascade effect or chain reaction would happen if taxes won't reinforced/revised in November.

This friend happened to be my bro's ex boss, was indeed in a hurry and almost bought a crap load from a second hand car sale for close to 1.9 mil. Searched everywhere and found this superb condition one owner car maintained throughout with agents with all records nicely maintained. Even the spare wheel was intact in the original packing, never seen something preserved to that level and decided to go for it.

yeah cascade effect or chain reaction would happen if taxes won't reinforced/revised in November.

IMHO this story of taxes being revised upwards in November is a story created by people with a vested interest in keeping prices up (e.g. car sales who have lots of vehicles they bought before the reduction). November date because that's when budget should be presented.

The idea that this was done for MPs to import vehicles is bosh... they could just give themselves whatever permit they wanted. That someone close to people at the top wanted to import a large consignment is also bosh - with the kind of corruption in customs there are much easier ways for them to go about it!

what I think is more likely to happen:

1. increase in petrol prices (which anyway functions in an alternate reality to world oil prices)

2. increase in revenue license (actually already happened, but can increase much more)

3. expanding luxury tax / semi-luxury tax / diesel tax (e.g. to have semi-luxury tax even for 1600cc)

anyway, time will tell if I'll have to eat my words :action-smiley-060:

IMHO this story of taxes being revised upwards in November is a story created by people with a vested interest in keeping prices up (e.g. car sales who have lots of vehicles they bought before the reduction). November date because that's when budget should be presented.

The idea that this was done for MPs to import vehicles is bosh... they could just give themselves whatever permit they wanted. That someone close to people at the top wanted to import a large consignment is also bosh - with the kind of corruption in customs there are much easier ways for them to go about it!

what I think is more likely to happen:

1. increase in petrol prices (which anyway functions in an alternate reality to world oil prices)

2. increase in revenue license (actually already happened, but can increase much more)

3. expanding luxury tax / semi-luxury tax / diesel tax (e.g. to have semi-luxury tax even for 1600cc)

anyway, time will tell if I'll have to eat my words :action-smiley-060:

may be this november story is something made up.

However as i heard most of agents too says that prices cannot be predicted accurately after november. Further they've told one of my friends who reserved a vehicle that, the advance paid will be refunded if prices changes and if my friend doesn't agree with the new prices.

• 10 months later...

according to your posts my car will be the best 2L car in the roadz. bcz um using 406 2L HPI executive and it gives me 15kms per a p.liter....car mart says that there are less than 10 cars with Hpi engine in srilanka..and 6 of those cars are in best condition..im glad because i've got one of the best hpi cars..

according to your posts my car will be the best 2L car in the roadz. bcz um using 406 2L HPI executive and it gives me 15kms per a p.liter....car mart says that there are less than 10 cars with Hpi engine in srilanka..and 6 of those cars are in best condition..im glad because i've got one of the best hpi cars..

how long have you used the car? in what kind of conditions are you getting 15?

(btw there's also a Citroen HPI car used by a Frontier staff member; apparently it had the high pressure fuel pump replaced but is running well since then)

I drive a 2000 Peugeot 406 executive 2.0L automatic,does 6-8 kmpl in Colombo city traffic and 9-10 kmpl outstation.

If it is 2.0L /Manual ,could be better than that.Also one's driving style has to do a lot on this,espessialy on automatic I believe.

A friend of mine used to have a 406 GLX 1.8L manual,said his used to do 10kmpl in Colombo,12kmpl outstation.

Parts cost are relatively higher than Japs but on durability, much better than Japs .

But I believe if you own a Jap ,and if you fix it with genuine/good quality after market parts, it would'nt make a huge difference from fixing a 406 with genuine parts.

Like Harshan said;If you take short cuts /quick fixes on a car like this,you gonna be sorry at the end.

I don't know much about the other 406 versions like; Rapier,GLX,GTX,HPI and diesels,but a well kept 406 2.OL executive would be somewhat between 1.5m -1.8m.

Finally,if you are looking for driving pleasure,stability,safety,prestige,fine immage and comfort,for this price;don't look any farther

There's a belief that,406 with AL4 tranny has some issues with it,so you might consult a Peugeot pro if you are looking for an automatic.

In fact ,I myself came across with an issue, sometime ago,wich wasn't very serius fortunately.

I drive a 2000 Peugeot 406 executive 2.0L automatic,does 6-8 kmpl in Colombo city traffic and 9-10 kmpl outstation.

If it is 2.0L /Manual ,could be better than that.Also one's driving style has to do a lot on this,espessialy on automatic I believe.

A friend of mine used to have a 406 GLX 1.8L manual,said his used to do 10kmpl in Colombo,12kmpl outstation.

Parts cost are relatively higher than Japs but on durability, much better than Japs .

But I believe if you own a Jap ,and if you fix it with genuine/good quality after market parts, it would'nt make a huge difference from fixing a 406 with genuine parts.

Like Harshan said;If you take short cuts /quick fixes on a car like this,you gonna be sorry at the end.

I don't know much about the other 406 versions like; Rapier,GLX,GTX,HPI and diesels,but a well kept 406 2.OL executive would be somewhat between 1.5m -1.8m.

Finally,if you are looking for driving pleasure,stability,safety,prestige,fine immage and comfort,for this price;don't look any farther

There's a belief that,406 with AL4 tranny has some issues with it,so you might consult a Peugeot pro if you are looking for an automatic.

In fact ,I myself came across with an issue, sometime ago,wich wasn't very serius fortunately.

have you just answered a 11month old question?

In your expierience,do you realy get 15kmpl in traffic?

Edited by techlove

15kmpl in Colombo city limit?? :blink: My Alto 800 does only 12kmpl maximum in the same condition.

peu406 seems to have disappeared; but he didn't say it was in city driving... and if you keep repping yourself, you'll go blind.