• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Open Papers - Need Your Advice

Saturn

Question

A while back I made a huge mistake of selling a car with open papers. I had no idea what the term meant, buyer just asked me to fill the form and give.

My problem is they are still using the vehicle in my name, and sold it to someone else. I contacted the new party and asked them to transfer, they don't seem to want to.

Some ideas:

- Contact local insurance companies and inform them that insurance got in my name for this car is fraudulent as they are forging my signature.

- Put a statement in local police station that said vehicle was sold by me on such date and since then I am not responsible for it.

I also wrote to the RMV but never heard back from them. Can you guys advice me what I should do now? are above steps correct? anything else I should do?

Update: I read this post also: http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?showtopic=4903

Edited by Saturn

14 answers to this question

A while back I made a huge mistake of selling a car with open papers. I had no idea what the term meant, buyer just asked me to fill the form and give.

My problem is they are still using the vehicle in my name, and sold it to someone else. I contacted the new party and asked them to transfer, they don't seem to want to.

Some ideas:

- Contact local insurance companies and inform them that insurance got in my name for this car is fraudulent as they are forging my signature.

- Put a statement in local police station that said vehicle was sold by me on such date and since then I am not responsible for it.

I also wrote to the RMV but never heard back from them. Can you guys advice me what I should do now? are above steps correct? anything else I should do?

Update: I read this post also: http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?showtopic=4903

Immediately make a complaint to nearest police station indicating that you had sold the vehicle and further mention that the entry is not for an inquiry but for assurance of your future safety ("mathu arakshawa" in police terms) After that obtain a certified copy of statement.

This you can use for in case if this vehicle involves with an accident or illegal activity. However, this will not stop you from calling to courts if something of that nature happens.

Best thing is to contact present owners and propose them to sign new set of transfer papers.

on insurance, they don't need to forge your signature but they can obtain an insurance policy under their name for the same vehicle. Ownership of the insurance and the vehicle could be two different parties.

Would someone, for the benefit of those like me who have heard the term bandied about but don't really know what it means, explain the term:

"Open papers"

and what it entails? Pros and Cons? (Doesn't sound like there are any pros, but then again, why was it invented if so?)

Thanks in advance

Would someone, for the benefit of those like me who have heard the term bandied about but don't really know what it means, explain the term:

"Open papers"

and what it entails? Pros and Cons? (Doesn't sound like there are any pros, but then again, why was it invented if so?)

Thanks in advance

It means signing and handing over complete set of transfer (MTA 6) papers without entering the name of the buying person/party.

Usually All copies of MTA6 has to be completed with same details and two copies of MTA6 has to be retained by the current owner. one out of two has to be sent to RMV by the registered owner (current owner). These instructions mentioned on left top corner of each copy of the set of transfer papers.

This is a bit of a floozy.

Best thing is to sort it out amicably as if I am not mistaken, now you cannot sell on open papers. It is seller's legal obligation to sell the car and finalize the paperwork.

the whole open papers thing is something that i would like to see completely wiped off!

and good thing finally the authorities woke up to this and made it mandatory!

the whole open papers thing is something that i would like to see completely wiped off!

and good thing finally the authorities woke up to this and made it mandatory!

True machang, It was mandatory and in fact printed on the back of the registration book. It's like any other law here, being there, not enforced. As long as buyer and seller are amicably agree upon, it can be sold on open papers and so on. I do have a policy where I don't sell on open papers and I do keep both of my copies to me and send it to RMV through registered post. But fair amount of potential buyers turned away because of this.

Do you think all permit vehicles running about are with the registered owner? the ones sold to third party are on open papers.

And recently a cop told me that with the new security cameras being installed, even for a offense such as jumping a red light, the registered owner has to appear in courts..

According to him there soon will be or already are cameras installed at Narahenpita junction and Lipton circus. I wonder how they will capture the number of the vehicle on camera in a clear enough manner, specially at nights..

And recently a cop told me that with the new security cameras being installed, even for a offense such as jumping a red light, the registered owner has to appear in courts..

According to him there soon will be or already are cameras installed at Narahenpita junction and Lipton circus. I wonder how they will capture the number of the vehicle on camera in a clear enough manner, specially at nights..

Traffic camera's are specialized in capturing the number plate, provided that plates are in par with the standard. Again, had they implemented new number system across the board this would be a success story. If not it's always a doubt the camera and related artificial intelligence systems would be able to 'recognize' the number plate.

The cop must be living in the world of Hollywood. Ain't goin to happen.

And if it does, it'll only be a matter of time before someone wises up and gets something like : http://www.phantomplate.com/

The cop must be living in the world of Hollywood. Ain't goin to happen.

And if it does, it'll only be a matter of time before someone wises up and gets something like : http://www.phantomplate.com/

once they showed a program on these stuff machang... none of these work and even if it does, if and when the car ever gets stopped and the cops do an inspection, the owner/driver will be charged for having a illegal number plate... :) Was in some OZ channel.

You have to understand, sooner or later, Big Brother catches you.

once they showed a program on these stuff machang... none of these work and even if it does, if and when the car ever gets stopped and the cops do an inspection, the owner/driver will be charged for having a illegal number plate... :) Was in some OZ channel.

You have to understand, sooner or later, Big Brother catches you.

Ah...should've figured it's a scam from the boilerplate web design and the so called endorsements. <_< Guess coating the numberplate in mud will have to suffice :D

I heard that the camera's are for solely for observing traffic congestion and to accordingly adjust the light intervals... :unsure:

I heard that the camera's are for solely for observing traffic congestion and to accordingly adjust the light intervals... :unsure:

Noticed the cameras at Narahenpita junction last night. Seemed all of them were looking at the cut over lines and not exactly at the congestion building up. Don't know if they are functional yet. But better beware.