• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesal Converted Mercedes Benz

TURBOMAN

Hi guys,

Im a new one here.

Im planing to buy a sedan (a second hand one) and i had a offer for a Diesel converted Mercedes.But i have few things to get clarified.

1.Is it worth spending around 2million

2.What are the problems with diesel converted Mercedes?

3.How is the maintainance cost?

4.Are spare parts freely available

Please help me on this .im clue less in this.

Your help is highly appreciated

• Like 1

Hello

Firstly what are you looking at.

Do you want a merc, petrol or diesal, is the budget limited etc.

1. 2 mil - depends on the model, type of converstion, original engine, how did they couple the gear box

( depending on the mdl) and

2. If it's conversion to match teh original spec and done properly there isn't much of an issue

3. Mercs generally are quite easy to maint and you get mostly original or OEM parts at competitive pricing.

4. Spare parts freely available, at the agents, private shops.

good luck and welcome..

• Like 1

Thanks Tikiri for your detailed response.

It was 1988 model

According to them they have converted it in standard mannar,

but how can i check it?

What is the price range for that kind of vehicle?

Im gonna sell my toyota Vitz cos lack of space.Im looking for a comfotable,good looking, second hand vehicle with more space.And it should be economical on fuel.Thats why i wanted to know about the Mercs.

It should be around 2 million.

Firstly what's the model?????

There are pleanty of deisel converted mercs running around... we've got a converted w123. The new engine is also a merc 240D, so it retains originality to an extent. Since my dad uses the other vehicle more often to run around colombo (due to the smaller size) the merc sometimes goes weeks if not months without even being started let alone run.. Charge up the battery and start running and it runs just fine... The engine has absolutely nothin done to it for the past 20 years its been with us.

The only black-mark you'll find is that it wont be 'original diesel' which hapens to have a slightly higher market value as opossed to an original diesel of the same both condition/specs.

For 1988 ? must have been a 16 - number like then.

So it was originally a basic W124.

Converted only to diesel or have they converted the version also, like the buffers, bonnet.

dickey lid etc to make it look like a E class W124 latter version too.

What no 64- 65- or 325-

When and where (who) has done the conversion.

If the conversion was done at famous Dayaratne bass at Kirillawela you could check with him

But pls check when the conversion was done, did they just swap the engine or whether it was

rebuild before fixing, how many miles it has done after the conversion,

also how many owners, how is the body and the interior condition.

Price depends on lot of factors,

but if you look around you could buy a decent original diesel or even a converted one for 2 mil

Good luck.

• 6 years later...
On 7/11/2010 at 10:33 PM, Tikiri said:

Hello

Firstly what are you looking at.

Do you want a merc, petrol or diesal, is the budget limited etc.

1. 2 mil - depends on the model, type of converstion, original engine, how did they couple the gear box

( depending on the mdl) and

2. If it's conversion to match teh original spec and done properly there isn't much of an issue

3. Mercs generally are quite easy to maint and you get mostly original or OEM parts at competitive pricing.

4. Spare parts freely available, at the agents, private shops.

good luck and welcome..

Hi, 

Is it worthwhile to purchase a diesel car for this amount since the petrol car is much more compatible than diesel car you know even with consumption. Please explain me since I am new to this feature

• 3 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2010 at 10:30 AM, Tikiri said:

For 1988 ? must have been a 16 - number like then.

So it was originally a basic W124.

Converted only to diesel or have they converted the version also, like the buffers, bonnet.

dickey lid etc to make it look like a E class W124 latter version too.

What no 64- 65- or 325-

When and where (who) has done the conversion.

If the conversion was done at famous Dayaratne bass at Kirillawela you could check with him

But pls check when the conversion was done, did they just swap the engine or whether it was

rebuild before fixing, how many miles it has done after the conversion,

also how many owners, how is the body and the interior condition.

Price depends on lot of factors,

but if you look around you could buy a decent original diesel or even a converted one for 2 mil

Good luck.

hi can I know who is Dayaratne bass at Kirillawela and his contact details or address or location.