• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gps Map For Sri Lanka

hyacc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More info on their site

http://bit.ly/dj4H6t

umm, thats a question i cant answer with regard to ur car navi system. But, in theory, it should work. If u can tell me all the folder names as shown in ur car navi system , i may b able to help u. Supose this works, it will be the first time a symbian OS designed gps system working in a everyday car navigation unit.

The map is not garmin,its made to emulate garmin hence why the map is unlocked...

And, since u cant use poi loader with ur car unit. Maybe, just copying the Poi.gpi file directly to mem card/garmin/POI folder should in theory work...coz its the same thing in the end, whether u use poi loader to upload to phone, end file is a Poi.gpi stored in POI folder.

If u get it working,do post pics of it and test if my custom poi work... Its inside Where to/extras/custom poi.

I took a generic garmin mobile xt designed for windows CE, symbian and i dont know what else devices and worked on the missing labels and added "points of interest" as collected in the field...

I know for sure this works on nokia E and N series symbian phones. But not sure of car navi. If u have garmin car navi, then, its theoretically possible...

Do keep me posted if u get it working...

Figure out how a garmin mem card works in a dedicated garmin gps device, what the file structure is, then, best way as i see it is to mirror that file structure in ur mem card but inserting sl map and custom poi into poi folder inside garmin folder of mem card.. Like i said, ive not done this on other devices as i dont have car navi. But my theory may work..

If it works, hurray...

BTW found this forum "All in One" Navigation Systems

with rgard to the cd install method, no, that wont work as that installs whats on the cd to the gps device. If, ur talking bout sala enterprises gps unit, i think it comes with a sd card which u need to plug into the gps device for it to work. Its useful to mirror the files stored on that sd card so every1 can benefit from it.

Do u have that device with u ?

Basically gps works irrespective of operating system, OS is only a base platform, gps app sits on top of it. And these days, even garmin, sells maps in the form of sd cards, whicn is unlocked for u, all u need to do is to insert it. Thats one way, other way is to get hold of such sd card and examine the file structure and mirror that in a new sd card, and copy the sl map to it and the poi.gpi and pray it works... I wont attempt this on th original sd card which came with a genuine gps device, if it corrupts the structure, u may loose everything. Best is to, test it out on a new blank sd card. Just viewing the sd card file structure wont do any damage...

With garmin mobile xt and symbian, its stored like this... Mem card / garmin / gmapsupp.img

the img is in the top level directory inside the garmin folder so garmin sees the map. There are other folders for voice navigation, points of interest and audio files so it can speak aloud to u.now, say,u got it working, and u see a waypoint u want to mark. U press mark. It saves. But nothing is written to the mem card till u press export which is inside the menus, then all the waypoints/tracks are exported, and exported file gets stored in a folder called gpx. That u can copy to pc or whatever. This is the method in the garmin mobile xt platform , and am sure, its no different with garmin nuvi devices or car navi. I know garmin nuvi has same file structure but not sure of car navi units ok....

I dont want to depress u, but,it may or may not work. Car navi is a locked down system by the manufacturer, in a way, so that, u the client comes to the agent for updates,nothing more but, car navi is old technology.. The use of hand held dedicated garmin devices like nuvi, garmin symbian software for nokia phones is the future... This is only my opinion on the subject..i may b wrong bout it not working for u...ive neva done car navi mods. So, its a first, even for me...

For that, i need ur help aswell. Need car navi file structure and structure of sd card so i can advice u how to get it working...

The map is unlocked,no need to worry bout it.

BTW found this forum "All in One" Navigation Systems

dude, after i posted my last 2 msg to u last nigt, i mailed someone to ask bout the sl map and car navi system. He said its possible. Said just copy the sl map to a new sd card, top level directory of mem card, copy the Poi.gpi also to top level directory of same, insert to ur car thing. Then go to settings of ur car device and select sl map, u need to un select the basemap which is shown in ur car navi screen, u do it by selecting another map...

But, here is my question. Based on what u said bout ur device, am picturing a dvd navigation complete system like what u can buy today at sunlanka, but, tho the unit supports gps, it doesnt come inbuilt with a gps module. U need to buy that accessory which comes with a antenna i believe for the gps.then, it works but im only guessing here.

Do u get sat lock right now inside ur car navi as it is ? Or do u see that menu but u cant access it as it says no map installed or gps module in active, something to that effect...

Supose ur device supports gps but u dont actually have a gps module, u can power a gps externally and link with ur car navi box using a nokia E or N series phone using a piece of software i discovered 2 months back which turns a cellphone gps to a external gps module via bluetooth. Again, all details of it is found in elakiri posts under this same name.. Check last 2 months posts for it. Sorry, i cant hyperlink the url to u at the moment, i havnt figured out how to cut paste text in the phone itself... Am doing all this from a mobile phone alone..

Some time ago, i checked out sunlanka gps units, altho premitive in design and use, i discovered that, for that, u need a car navi which is a full dvd,bluetooth,cd,navi unit which sells for Rs.80,000 as last checked by them and gps module is separat unit with its own antenna. So ur looking at 2 boxes... Im pretty sure, ur set up is no different except u dont have a gps module.but, if ur car is from japan, then, maybe it came inbuilt with a gps module as a separate unit...

Like i said, this is new even to me, car navi and the use of sl map with my poi databasr. So, if u get it working, email me some pics of it inaction, but, plz resize images to 1024x768 b4 emailing.

Good luck...

Ps - first try the sl map and poi.gpi in top level directory of sd card, see by going to custom poi of the car navi, whether u see my data, theres alot of data...it doesnt show on the map itself ok.it over lays over it.. So, whe u click a poi, u go there... If the poi.gpi doesnt register, then, try making a folder right inside the car navi unit, am sure there is a touch panel keyboard inbuilt to the device, and make a folder called "POI", all capitals, and move the poi.gpi to it, then, re check.. Tell if either doesnt work..

Am curius aswell. Ive@neva used this in a car navi unit.. Tho, large screen is better than a small screen as viewed say, on a mobile phone..

If, ur car navi doesnt sat lock, try pairing ur gps phone with the car unit using the software found in elakiri. But, expect battery drainage faster than usual as ur using both bluetooth and gps at the same time on the phone...keep ur car charger nearly...

Hello ironbutcher_x! My vehicle has a In-Dash Car DVD Player with GPS/SD Card/Blutooth/USB/Touchscreen/TV functions. Can I copy a GPS map for sri lanka/GPS navigation software to a SD card and use it? or can I use a GPS navigation software CD. I have no clue regarding this.

It's exactly this and it runs Windows CE.

i forgot to mention, after u copy sl map.img to a sd card, rename it in full capitals to GMAPSUPP.IMG,otherwise ur car navi wont recognise the map.

As for Poi.gpi, its saved as Poi.gpi, its correct, just copy to car navi and see if it shows all data. There is about 3000 points of interest in that Poi.gpi file..

• 3 weeks later...
now that you all installed srilanka map. U wonder hey, where are the labels.. The prob is not with the map, its the software thats faulty. So, ive fixed it. Now, u can go to any city/point of interest currently in the database by just click it.

First, i suggest u read the garmin mobile xt user manual. Also, latest mobile xt version is V 5.00.60, not found at garmin website,search for it on the web and ull find it.

I cant seem to upload attachments at the moment, maybe its coz am typing this using my mobile phone. The data can be got from elakiri.com,search for "ironbutcher_x" and view latest post, it should be todays - 07-18-2010. There u will find a zip file, in it contains all the "points of interest" ive collected thus far. With howto guide.

Its best u familiarise urself with garmin mobile xt menus etc. As the data is embedded deep inside the menus...

Thanks...

Ps - dont forget to share with us ur new poi "points of interest" as marked by you...so the database grows...

Hi machan, i was able to install v5.00.60 into my X6. all good but no labels. elakiri is down for maintenance at the moment and i cant wait hehe so can u share the stuff here? thanks a bunch.

Thanks for all d info. .Im using a Nokia N95 8Gb phone. Wanna know is it the same map as we get in google map in Nokia phone. It shows directions, route map, time & km's. But no voice directions.

if your referring to "garmin mobile xt" then, yes. but, not sure where u got the program from, for us, we have everything on it, voice navigation aswell...

check your download sites and install it. no point having navigation if your gonna look at the screen while driving...

if your referring to "garmin mobile xt" then, yes. but, not sure where u got the program from, for us, we have everything on it, voice navigation aswell...

check your download sites and install it. no point having navigation if your gonna look at the screen while driving...

You have given files for Nokia 5800., What about Nokia N95 8GB? Can I use the same software to N95

You have given files for Nokia 5800., What about Nokia N95 8GB? Can I use the same software to N95

dude, my designs work on any phone or dedicated gps, as long as u can find GMXT platform for ur device and u have external memory card, u can install this..

plz follow the instructions on this thread on how to unlock ur memory card for GMXT first, as u cant get anywhere without that step. as for the rest, read my posts on Elakiri, same user id. last page, i think its page 21.. data is embedded on page 19 i think....

there is no 'files', now its '1 file' upload. ofcourse, u need to familiarise urself with GMXT first, that part i cant teach u, watch the videos on youtube and read the user manual for that part.

do remember, the map is still blank, no labels shown. but my data is embedded inside GMXT, hence why i asked u to read the user manual. we are working on displaying all labels and my poi on the map itself but it takes time, we have to perfect the technique b4 we upload it. for now, if u can find, there is a overlay map for the present sl map, it has all the labels, u need to have both original sl map and this map together in the same garmin folder to work. autolanka doesnt let me upload attachments so, ull have to search and get it else where...

if i remember correct, lakdasun had a link embedded in their website for this img file. its only 1.3MB big, as opposed to 30MB for sl map...

2nd file has to be renamed as "GMAPSUP2.IMG" before u copy it to memory card/garmin/

root folder inside /garmin ok. where the other map is located.... for it to work..

then, fire up GMXT, and ull see all the labels but to get to and access my data, u need to go into 'Where To/ Extras/ Custom POI" section, and ull see a bunch of files sorted by theme.

i forgot to add this bit to this post, the files u say i gave to nokia 5800, by that if ur referring to "Garmin Mobile XT", i didnt give that part, that u need to get on ur own, if i do recall, that step was posted earlier in this thread. but, use GMXT V.5.00.50 not GMXT V5.00.60 as latter has stability issues. the complete GMXT if u can piece together will have ur GMXT navigation, voice packs for text to speech audio output, fancy vehicle logos instead of the boring 'blue triangle' to show where u are on the map. and ofcourse my data...

Edited by ironbutcher_x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ironbutcher_x

Sorry for not updating you. All my attempts to get my vehicle DVD/TV/Nav system to use GPS failed since it's locked and I could not go to Windows CE directly. But I bought this chinese GPS from eBay for $49.99 and managed to install Garmin Mobile XT for Windows CE. This GPS device comes with iGo software and there's no map for Sri Lanka. Installed Garmin Mobile XT, your sri lankan map and POI files and after some modifications now it works great. I'll update with some pics later. thanks for your help.

Edited by hyacc

Before you do anything, Download the file (80 mb ++) and read all the instructions before hand. It’ll help you to visualize the process.

Download file contains

• GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50040.exe

• GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe

• GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe

• gmapsupp.img (Malaysian Map, with DUKE highway)

• garmin_kgen.exe

• 5800_manual.pdf

• GarminMobile20_GarminMobileXTOwnersManual.pdf

Installing GarminXT on Nokia 5800.

1. Once you’ve downloaded, unzip the files to someplace accessible preferably on your desktop. Connect your phone via USB and select ‘Mass storage mode’.

2. From you PC, double click “GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50040.exe” to install and wait.

3. Double click “GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe” to install. Wait..

4. Double click “GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe” to install.

5. Remove USB connection between PC and phone. When prompted ‘Launch GarminXT’ do not click Yes, just Cancel.

6. From your phone, go to Menu > Settings > Application Manager > Installation files. There should be GarminXT.sis file. Install it.

Cracking GarminXT on Nokia 5800.

1. Run GarminXT from your phone at Menu > Application > Garmin. It will prompt you with some settings. Choose your preferable.

2. Select “Use other device” when it prompts you to buy or trial. You will get a screen, “Where To?” and “View map”

3. In GarminXT, go to Tools > Settings > About. Jot down “Card ID”, you will need it. Exit GarminXT

4. On your PC, run “garmin_kgen.exe” and enter the “Card ID” from previous steps.

5. Generate it and you will get a string of codes. Copy the codes to Notepad and save it as “sw.unl”. *Be sure you don’t save it as sw.unl.txt”*

6. Connect your phone to PC and select “Mass storage mode”.

7. Copy “sw.unl” to Garmin folder. Usually located at E:/Garmin.

INSTALLING MAPS

1. Download Sri lanka Map From http://rapidshare.com/files/61579171/SriLanka.img

2/ ONLY three names are available so as to be recognized by Garmin: gmapprom.img gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img. (Gmapbmap.img is the base map of whole world so don't use this name except if you don't want a base map). so use one of these names for the maps. So only three different named maps can be used at the same time. Rename Supplied Sri Lanka Map to gmapprom.img

3) Then copy gmapprom.img file to E:\Garmin folder which is located inside your mobile (Make note: E: is your Mobiles MMC, it might be different in your phone)

Setting up GarminXT on Nokia 5800

1. You don’t need your PC anymore. Shut down and conserve energy.

2. Run GarminXT on your phone.

3. Go to Tools > Settings > System > Remote GPS. Change to “Use Attached GPS” by disabling the “Bluetooth GPS”.

4. Go to Tools > Manage My Data > Map Sets > MapSource. Make sure all maps are enabled.

Thanks pal... Great work!!!

$49.99 Chinese PNA running Garmin Mobile XT for Windows CE with ironbutcher_x's map and poi file.

machan i love that lil car icon. i wonder y mine only shows that damn blue triangle...

btw it is illegal to fix this device into ur windscreen? at the moment thats how ive fixed mine though, at the top portion just next to the rear view mirror. (well i use my phone and its just the holder)

holder.jpg

machan i love that lil car icon. i wonder y mine only shows that damn blue triangle...

btw it is illegal to fix this device into ur windscreen? at the moment thats how ive fixed mine though, at the top portion just next to the rear view mirror. (well i use my phone and its just the holder)

holder.jpg

Vehicle icon can be changed from settings. Don't know whether it's illegal or not but it was fixed to windscreen when I went to Jaffna from colombo last week but nobody questioned about it.

Hi ironbutcher_x

Sorry for not updating you. All my attempts to get my vehicle DVD/TV/Nav system to use GPS failed since it's locked and I could not go to Windows CE directly. But I bought this chinese GPS from eBay for $49.99 and managed to install Garmin Mobile XT for Windows CE. This GPS device comes with iGo software and there's no map for Sri Lanka. Installed Garmin Mobile XT, your sri lankan map and POI files and after some modifications now it works great. I'll update with some pics later. thanks for your help.

how detailed are these maps? do they ahve labels for even small by roads?

I doubt it is illegal. But by sticking the holder on your windshield when its stationed you'll be advertising to potential thieves that you have such a device in your car.

more importantly, does it capture the one way system , with the recent changes?

Are you asking about Garmin? Nah, it doesn't capture one way roads.... That's too much to ask from software that doesn't provide fully fledged support to countries like us. Besides we r actullay using a cracked version of it ...