• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gps Map For Sri Lanka

hyacc

Sri Lankan motorist get directions from the heavens

July 09, 2010 (LBO) - Sri Lanka's S*****S (***) has developed the country's first GPS (Global Positioning System) map, where a space-based network of radio navigation system satellites can assist motorist find directions and plot routes.

S*****P is the first company to offer GPS navigation that works in Sri Lankan as local maps and landscapes had been already programmed to the system.

The GPS satellite network is maintained by the US government and is freely accessible by anyone with a GPS receiver but need the necessary software and digital maps to pinpoint locations to users.

"Those who buy other GPS from other countries won't work here. Why? Because it does not have (the Sri Lankan) map," Chinthaka Wijewickrama, managing director of S*****S, a unit of S*****E said told reporters at its launch.

"This service is offered without a monthly fee at the cost of the hardware."

The GPS mapping was developed by S*****S, a unit of electronics retailer S*****E, while hardware is from China and the software was developed in Russia.

GPS receivers work by calculating position by precisely timing the signals sent by the navigation satellites orbiting in space.

The S*****P system can plot the shortest and fastest route, and find almost any location in Sri Lanka, Prasanna Suriyapperuma, director at S*****S, said.

"This includes all the main roads and by-roads in Sri Lanka."

S*****P is operational anywhere in Sri Lanka including the former war ravaged north and east.

Over 100,000 landmarks, places of interest, police stations, fuel sheds, banks, hospitals, hotels, parks and places of worship have already been pre-programmed on the S*****P GPS.

"This will give you alternate routes if you are stuck in traffic," Wijewickrama said. "Thus users will save fuel and time to a great extent."

The unit can also be programmed to work on voice command in English, but plans are underway to develop a Sinhala version in the near future, Wijewickrama said.

The GPS system despite being commercially available for more than a decade was banned in Sri Lankan due to the 30 year civil war.

GPS navigation systems are widely used in marine, aviation, financial services, defense, security, transport, emergency services and disaster management sectors.

The 3.5 inch S*****P GPS unit is for sale for 35,000 rupees, the 4.3 inch unit is available for 42,000 rupees, while the 5.0 inch unit would cost 49,000 rupees, Suriyapperuma said.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting, and not too bad a price too, considering a fairly mid-range GPS in the US costs about $150, and those have been around there for a long time. I'm a little skeptical about it containing "all the main roads and by-roads" in Sri Lanka, but definitely should be there in time to come.

Would be interesting to see it when it hits the market.

Do these people have a shop or a showroom where we can test the GPS out.

They have a PC store on havlock road. Go pass the Whee*s L*anka towards kohuwala its just before the T junction on to your left (almsot infornt of that big tution class building)

They have a PC store on havlock road. Go pass the Whee*s L*anka towards kohuwala its just before the T junction on to your left (almsot infornt of that big tution class building)

Google Maps already has most roads in Sri Lanka along with all major Landmarks ... at least in colombo.

Been using it on my Nokia phones for over a Year now.

I have noticed their mobiles service center have a Showroom at Borella near Castle street Children hospital Road when you come from Petrol station T junction Traffic lights first half of the Road on left hand side before you come to Castle street Children hospital.

Wijesinghe.

Google Maps already has most roads in Sri Lanka along with all major Landmarks ... at least in colombo.

Been using it on my Nokia phones for over a Year now.

Does it indicate the quickest way to navigate to any given destination? I tried some website posted here on AL earlier (which used Google Maps I think), and even though it gave the proper route, it was in no way the quickest, or the least congested.

Does it indicate the quickest way to navigate to any given destination? I tried some website posted here on AL earlier (which used Google Maps I think), and even though it gave the proper route, it was in no way the quickest, or the least congested.

Please give your fastest way to come to that point.

Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Er.... what do you mean? :huh:

Sir, You say that way is not the fastest to come to that showroom if there is another way please inform.

As I go their from Kollupitiya passing the petrol station you are correct by your post in heavy traffic hours the road is congested.

Wijesinghe.

Er.... what do you mean? :huh:

Sir,

Sylvi thinks you were referring to the GPS device' instructions for how to get to the showroom being neither the fastest nor the least congested :)

As has often been the case, Sylvi is wrong. I think you were referring to its instructions for how to get to ANY destination.

SeanD

Sir, You say that way is not the fastest to come to that showroom if there is another way please inform.

As I go their from Kollupitiya passing the petrol station you are correct by your post in heavy traffic hours the road is congested.

Wijesinghe.

No, you misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about the showroom. I was speaking in general.

Sir,

Sylvi thinks you were referring to the GPS device' instructions for how to get to the showroom being neither the fastest nor the least congested :)

As has often been the case, Sylvi is wrong. I think you were referring to its instructions for how to get to ANY destination.

SeanD

Sir,

Affirmative.

Big_D

:D

Pls explain the method.

Before you do anything, Download the file (80 mb ++) and read all the instructions before hand. It’ll help you to visualize the process.

Download file contains

• GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50040.exe

• GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe

• GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe

• gmapsupp.img (Malaysian Map, with DUKE highway)

• garmin_kgen.exe

• 5800_manual.pdf

• GarminMobile20_GarminMobileXTOwnersManual.pdf

Installing GarminXT on Nokia 5800.

1. Once you’ve downloaded, unzip the files to someplace accessible preferably on your desktop. Connect your phone via USB and select ‘Mass storage mode’.

2. From you PC, double click “GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50040.exe” to install and wait.

3. Double click “GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe” to install. Wait..

4. Double click “GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe” to install.

5. Remove USB connection between PC and phone. When prompted ‘Launch GarminXT’ do not click Yes, just Cancel.

6. From your phone, go to Menu > Settings > Application Manager > Installation files. There should be GarminXT.sis file. Install it.

Cracking GarminXT on Nokia 5800.

1. Run GarminXT from your phone at Menu > Application > Garmin. It will prompt you with some settings. Choose your preferable.

2. Select “Use other device” when it prompts you to buy or trial. You will get a screen, “Where To?” and “View map”

3. In GarminXT, go to Tools > Settings > About. Jot down “Card ID”, you will need it. Exit GarminXT

4. On your PC, run “garmin_kgen.exe” and enter the “Card ID” from previous steps.

5. Generate it and you will get a string of codes. Copy the codes to Notepad and save it as “sw.unl”. *Be sure you don’t save it as sw.unl.txt”*

6. Connect your phone to PC and select “Mass storage mode”.

7. Copy “sw.unl” to Garmin folder. Usually located at E:/Garmin.

INSTALLING MAPS

1. Download Sri lanka Map From http://rapidshare.com/files/61579171/SriLanka.img

2/ ONLY three names are available so as to be recognized by Garmin: gmapprom.img gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img. (Gmapbmap.img is the base map of whole world so don't use this name except if you don't want a base map). so use one of these names for the maps. So only three different named maps can be used at the same time. Rename Supplied Sri Lanka Map to gmapprom.img

3) Then copy gmapprom.img file to E:\Garmin folder which is located inside your mobile (Make note: E: is your Mobiles MMC, it might be different in your phone)

Setting up GarminXT on Nokia 5800

1. You don’t need your PC anymore. Shut down and conserve energy.

2. Run GarminXT on your phone.

3. Go to Tools > Settings > System > Remote GPS. Change to “Use Attached GPS” by disabling the “Bluetooth GPS”.

4. Go to Tools > Manage My Data > Map Sets > MapSource. Make sure all maps are enabled.

Before you do anything, Download the file (80 mb ++) and read all the instructions before hand. It’ll help you to visualize the process.

Download file contains

• GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50040.exe

• GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe

• GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe

• gmapsupp.img (Malaysian Map, with DUKE highway)

• garmin_kgen.exe

• 5800_manual.pdf

• GarminMobile20_GarminMobileXTOwnersManual.pdf

Installing GarminXT on Nokia 5800.

1. Once you’ve downloaded, unzip the files to someplace accessible preferably on your desktop. Connect your phone via USB and select ‘Mass storage mode’.

2. From you PC, double click “GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50040.exe” to install and wait.

3. Double click “GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe” to install. Wait..

4. Double click “GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe” to install.

5. Remove USB connection between PC and phone. When prompted ‘Launch GarminXT’ do not click Yes, just Cancel.

6. From your phone, go to Menu > Settings > Application Manager > Installation files. There should be GarminXT.sis file. Install it.

Cracking GarminXT on Nokia 5800.

1. Run GarminXT from your phone at Menu > Application > Garmin. It will prompt you with some settings. Choose your preferable.

2. Select “Use other device” when it prompts you to buy or trial. You will get a screen, “Where To?” and “View map”

3. In GarminXT, go to Tools > Settings > About. Jot down “Card ID”, you will need it. Exit GarminXT

4. On your PC, run “garmin_kgen.exe” and enter the “Card ID” from previous steps.

5. Generate it and you will get a string of codes. Copy the codes to Notepad and save it as “sw.unl”. *Be sure you don’t save it as sw.unl.txt”*

6. Connect your phone to PC and select “Mass storage mode”.

7. Copy “sw.unl” to Garmin folder. Usually located at E:/Garmin.

INSTALLING MAPS

1. Download Sri lanka Map From http://rapidshare.com/files/61579171/SriLanka.img

2/ ONLY three names are available so as to be recognized by Garmin: gmapprom.img gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img. (Gmapbmap.img is the base map of whole world so don't use this name except if you don't want a base map). so use one of these names for the maps. So only three different named maps can be used at the same time. Rename Supplied Sri Lanka Map to gmapprom.img

3) Then copy gmapprom.img file to E:\Garmin folder which is located inside your mobile (Make note: E: is your Mobiles MMC, it might be different in your phone)

Setting up GarminXT on Nokia 5800

1. You don’t need your PC anymore. Shut down and conserve energy.

2. Run GarminXT on your phone.

3. Go to Tools > Settings > System > Remote GPS. Change to “Use Attached GPS” by disabling the “Bluetooth GPS”.

4. Go to Tools > Manage My Data > Map Sets > MapSource. Make sure all maps are enabled.

Thanks rattler81. Very helpful.

Pls explain the method.

now that you all installed srilanka map. U wonder hey, where are the labels.. The prob is not with the map, its the software thats faulty. So, ive fixed it. Now, u can go to any city/point of interest currently in the database by just click it.

First, i suggest u read the garmin mobile xt user manual. Also, latest mobile xt version is V 5.00.60, not found at garmin website,search for it on the web and ull find it.

I cant seem to upload attachments at the moment, maybe its coz am typing this using my mobile phone. The data can be got from elakiri.com,search for "ironbutcher_x" and view latest post, it should be todays - 07-18-2010. There u will find a zip file, in it contains all the "points of interest" ive collected thus far. With howto guide.

Its best u familiarise urself with garmin mobile xt menus etc. As the data is embedded deep inside the menus...

Thanks...

Ps - dont forget to share with us ur new poi "points of interest" as marked by you...so the database grows...

now that you all installed srilanka map. U wonder hey, where are the labels.. The prob is not with the map, its the software thats faulty. So, ive fixed it. Now, u can go to any city/point of interest currently in the database by just click it.

First, i suggest u read the garmin mobile xt user manual. Also, latest mobile xt version is V 5.00.60, not found at garmin website,search for it on the web and ull find it.

I cant seem to upload attachments at the moment, maybe its coz am typing this using my mobile phone. The data can be got from elakiri.com,search for "ironbutcher_x" and view latest post, it should be todays - 07-18-2010. There u will find a zip file, in it contains all the "points of interest" ive collected thus far. With howto guide.

Its best u familiarise urself with garmin mobile xt menus etc. As the data is embedded deep inside the menus...

Thanks...

Ps - dont forget to share with us ur new poi "points of interest" as marked by you...so the database grows...

Hello ironbutcher_x! My vehicle has a In-Dash Car DVD Player with GPS/SD Card/Blutooth/USB/Touchscreen/TV functions. Can I copy a GPS map for sri lanka/GPS navigation software to a SD card and use it? or can I use a GPS navigation software CD. I have no clue regarding this.

It's exactly this and it runs Windows CE.

GPS:

GPS Built-In: Yes

Extra GPS Box: No

GPS Maps: TomTom/Garmin/Route66/Destinator/IGO.. (wince 5.0 platform)

Dual Zone Function: Yes (listen to music while watching GPS image simultaneously)

Edited by hyacc